It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you have actually read the bible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I'm just curious since I'm planning on reading through it (for a second time) from today.
And I was thinking maybe getting people reading the bible looking for stuff.
Having a list on your side with the real kill-count of God vs Lucifer?
Passages about aliens and what not.
I mean some of you might be Christians and have not even read the whole thing.
My point being, i wanna look at the bible with people on a daily basis to see if we can find something.

We might just end up finding God...

Get my point?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FejkNick

Read through it several times...KJV..the NKJV...NIV...in its entirety!

It's difficult to have an opinion...or discuss the Bible without having read it first!

At that point in time I had 13 years to do nothing much other than read...and the Bible was one of the more popular writings...but in that time I read what would equate to a small library...interesting times indeed!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

It's difficult to have an opinion...or discuss the Bible without having read it first!

At that point in time I had 13 years to do nothing much other than read...and the Bible was one of the more popular writings...but in that time I read what would equate to a small library...interesting times indeed!

This I do understand. But what I was aiming towards is a "online reading-group". Since there are many people that might want to ask something they been thinking about while reading it (I know I did). But in fear of being mocked or whatever, they don't ask. And in here we are all anonymous.

Discussions about the bible is everywhere. We need to get people reading it like texts from 2000 years ago and then make up their mind about it. Maybe even try to read a translation of the Koran? To see what all the fuss is about?..

Or maybe I just have a part of those 13 years you were talking about...
I have noticed that people are scared of allot of text. People don't read like they used to do.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I've read it a couple of times, I'm an athiest and believe that you can't have an opinon without researching something lol.
Kind of like saying you don't like fords but never had driven one.
I might have to have another read of it though as I don't recall anything about aliens.

edit on 14/2/2012 by AlanQaida because: Added stuff

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I think the better question would be "How many actually understand the bible after having read it."

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlanQaida
I might have to have another read of it though as I don't recall anything about aliens.

Did you look for aliens?

This time around I wanna know if the kill-count on the internet is real. So I will keep track of that. And then i have some parts that are foggy from the last read and that i have heard people talk about in videos and what not.

I just wanna get people to read the old stuff. Plato is a good read too. For people that can think outside the box thou...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FejkNick

Did you look for aliens?

This time around I wanna know if the kill-count on the internet is real. So I will keep track of that. And then i have some parts that are foggy from the last read and that i have heard people talk about in videos and what not.

I just wanna get people to read the old stuff. Plato is a good read too. For people that can think outside the box thou...

The last time I read it I think I was about 14 or 15, but I think I might read it again for the kill count lol, and even look into Plato as well!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I did, I was raised Southern Baptist we went to church 5 to 6 times a week. My father read a few versus every night , all of us would sit on the floor of the living room and he would read froms cripture give us a short like bible lesson we would pray then go to bed. But that was back in the 60`s and 70`s when families still had family values. I read both old and new testimates. At one time in my life i knew most the scriptures buy heart. When i turned around 23 something happen that I now feel the book is a history of the past a sort of historyt lesson book for the religous.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FejkNick

Originally posted by jerryznv

This I do understand. But what I was aiming towards is a "online reading-group". Since there are many people that might want to ask something they been thinking about while reading it (I know I did). But in fear of being mocked or whatever, they don't ask. And in here we are all anonymous.

Discussions about the bible is everywhere. We need to get people reading it like texts from 2000 years ago and then make up their mind about it. Maybe even try to read a translation of the Koran? To see what all the fuss is about?..

Or maybe I just have a part of those 13 years you were talking about...
I have noticed that people are scared of allot of text. People don't read like they used to do.

I like your idea of a online reading group to decifer the differnet religous books. I read the christian bible many times, the quran, the catholic and the mormon booksIve either ead them or scanned thorugh them at least once. PM me if youget a group going im interested inreading these books from an unreligous views.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I have read the Bible several times cover to cover, start to finish.

I must agree that most people that call themselves Christians never have completed this task.

It is a difficult task to take on, several times the narrative gets slow and tedious, and one must force themselves to continue.

However, there are sections that are very exciting, fast pasted, and extraordinary.

Many people that “Worship” the Bible will state that there are no inconsistency, however, I find that there are huge differences from the transition from Moses to Jesus. I am not alone in this, Jesus was executed for the crime of Blasphemy.

I also find that Levitical Law is outdated and in no way representative of the manner in which we conduct our behavior today and if one did follow certain Levitical Laws, we as a society would declare that in doing so one has committed a crime.

This is the problem with Shari Law, and those who wish to fall under its guide.

Let me state very clearly, as a Christian, as one who has read the Bible, completely, on 5 different occasions, that the Bible is NOT the “Word of God” .

The Bible IS a most important book which contains Spiritual Lessons each of us would benefit from learning. However it should only be used as a starting point on the path of Spiritual Enlightenment.

edit on 14-2-2012 by brokedown because: spelling correction

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I've read and studied it through several times. The bible is like any voluminous work. You'll find something you don't remember seeing each time you read it. I've also researched and studied the original meaning of thousands of words. And like Jerryznv, I've read more than one translation.

I think you can find what you want in the bible depending on the perspective you want to read it from. Aliens, creatures, giants, immortals, romance, war, mystery, history, and so on.

You could say it's the Hebrew "Illiad and Odyssey".

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I've read it a couple of times, I'm an athiest and believe that you can't have an opinon without researching something lol.
Kind of like saying you don't like fords but never had driven one.

edit on 14/2/2012 by AlanQaida because: Added stuff

Me too once as a teen and once in my twenties -- still an atheist.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by lbndhr

That was exactly my point. This is the thread. Might change the title to something better if we get people in it.
I'm gonna go brew some coffee and open the bible. Be back in a couple of chapters or something.
I really hope people get what you got. Then we would have a ATS theology-group. We could go into groups and read different parts to get books done faster. And use the old scriptures from back back back in the days to try to understand what happened. Instead of taking peoples words for everything.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Sounds good, I have my Bible when your ready let me know the chapter and verse you want to read.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Aw a question, which holy book are you refering to and which version, King james?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I read the Bible and study it's true meanings and origins in Hebrew and Greek every single day. It's my favorite hobby pretty much. When I'm not studying general theology or philosophy I am usually reading the Bible.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
A systematic reading through- I think three or four times.
One thing that helps is relating the prophets to the histories, understanding where they come in the overall historical story.
edit on 14-2-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

God isn't in the bible my friend... its just a book

Though you can find HIS words within its pages..

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Some info... You will enjoy the book. don't let where it comes from stop you if you are sincere.
Aliens Ez1:4, God's name, should be throughout... (It is Jehovah, Jesus told us), Book of Daniel & Isiah, excellent read especially for the times we live in. Lesser prophets, very interesting & under-rated. ( Obadiah, Amos, Haggai, Nahum, Michah Joel, Hosea). 12 in all, I think. 1st Books, about God & the laws, God saving mankind from itself many times. Israelites, Gods chosen people. Israelites reject & kill Jesus. God rejects them. Hence, the Christian congregation. Muslims come through the lineage of Ishmael, but He was not the one prophesied to be the seed of the father of nations, as God told Sarah (meaning princess) that she would be the mother of the nation, not Hagar) Find a book, available free on PDF, called 'A revelation, it's grand climax is at hand'. read it twice. You may not like the source, but if you truly want to find God, that is where to start... The whole state of the world right now comes down to the rebellion in Eden. It is still playing out. 'Man shall govern man to his detriment'.. He wasn't kidding. Only God knows what is good for us, & his Son & our rightful king, Jesus. Hope you find what you are looking for.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Dear FejkNick,

I have read the bible more times than I can count, in fact I have lost count. If I may make a suggestion, prior to reading it I would recommend that you read a book such as "Evidence that demands a Verdict" where you get some of the history of the books. If you look at a book like "Revelations" today, we have a tendency to lose track of how and why the original was authenticated. Most of the New Testament was written as letters and hand delivered to churches who knew the writer and the people delivering, there was no printing press and once received the church would make a handwritten copy to give to other churches that they knew. It helps, in my opinion, to get a feel for the times, just some context.

I also recommend that you go through the books in order, The old testament is not just a bible, it is also the history of a nation and how it evolved. Whether one accepts the book as true or not, it has changed the world and for the longest time one was not considered truly educated if they did not know it. The stories were so commonly known that they could be used to illustrate secular ideas as well as religious ones. The prodigal son being a good example. Good luck on your endeavor. Peace.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join