It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US Economy Is Collapsing!!!@@!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Everyone knows the economy of the USA is on the verge of collapse. Our money is backed by debt, of all things! How the hell can you buy anything with debt?!? That's why all the smart people are buying up as much gold as they can get their hands on! When the economy collapses (and Big Government comes for your guns and your Bible), do you really think John Q. Citizen is going to take worthless paper money to pay for those canned goods he was smart enough to stockpile? Hell, no! J.Q.C. wants nothing but the finest precious metals; or at least some gold will do. Because while the value of paper money is totally arbitrary and meaningless, the value of GOLD!!!! is real and concrete!

That's why helpful companies like this one will SAVE YOUR ASS by helping you convert your entire retirement package into good old-fashioned gold! They know that when the collapse comes, all those paper dollars are going to be worthless! They're not dumb! They have experts and stuff, and, hell, they even have Glenn Beck up there speaking truth to... well, they had Glenn Beck up there. But the point is, he wouldn't lie to you! And so compassionate corporations are doing their best to help out fellow Americans, as corporations are wont to do, by taking all your soon-to-be-worthless US currency and trading it for the only thing that's going to be of any value once The Apocalypse comes! Because... because they, uh...

WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE THIS CRAP IT DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE

Why would they want to get rid of all their gold if it's going to be the only thing of value? Why would they trade it for worthless paper bills, or, *gasp* debt?! Why wouldn't they take their own advice and continue stockpiling gold?

Never mind the fact that the "coins" some of these companies sell are only worth 1/3 of what you pay for them. "Invest" in gold coins now! OBEY.

Never mind the fact that, in the event of an economic collapse, people would have a hard time getting things like... gasoline... let's stop there and think about that by itself for a second. Without gasoline, how many of us would be able to get to a store? Once we got there, how would the store have gotten goods shipped to it? How many people own a horse? Does the horse eat gold? Do you eat gold?

Never mind the fact that you can't eat gold.

People are going to have a hard time getting the basic necessities, like food, water, and gasoline to go places. What use would they have for gold? What would make gold any more- or less-valuable than paper money (or used socks or empty piñatas or Johnny Cash CDs)? Why would anyone believe that the value of gold is not also completely and totally arbitrary, based merely upon the fact that it looks pretty?

These companies are like VAMPIRES. Not the cool ones that have lots of kinky sex and whatever the hell else goes on, either. The cold-hearted, uncaring ones that don't even bother to wear a cool outfit when they suck your 401k dry, leaving you sitting in your dark cardboard box gnawing on gold bullion embossed with Glenn Beck's face or a bald eagle or some crap and wishing it was a can of baked beans or something, after the OMG world economic collapse. How many paranoid people - a paranoia coincidentally fueled by talking heads going spastic over impending doom and oh God oh God buy this gold - are out there trading in their life's savings for 1/3 of their life's savings BUT SHINIER!? Is your kindly old grandmother one of them? Is mine? Basic rule of thumb: if you see a corporation doing something - anything - they are profiting from it somehow. All they are getting out of trading their fancy gold coins for your hard-earned US currency is your hard-earned US currency. It follows that your hard-earned US currency must not be so worthless after all.

Why put all your eggs in one basket when you can trade them in for gold coins that you can later use in an attempt to buy your eggs back once you are starving to death? LKSFJ D_)F #OF:EW L #:@K:#@

If you are so sure that the end is near because the Mayans said so, or whatever, and you "prepare" by buying a bunch of what amounts to heavier-than-normal video arcade tokens, instead of CANNED GOODS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES, and damned BULLETS, then maybe you deserve whatever fate natural selection is willing to dish out.

economictimes.indiatimes.com... - An article written for simple-minded folk like me, explaining that, basically, the gold market is about to do what the housing market did a few years back, because of how speculating blah blah economics stuff.

finance.fortune.cnn.com... utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fmoney_topstories+%28Top+Stories%29 - Written by a little-known investor named Warren Buffy or something like that, explains the same situation using a bunch of long, technical words that I don't understand.

...Here are some Warren Buffet quotes:

The second major category of investments involves assets that will never produce anything, but that are purchased in the buyer's hope that someone else -- who also knows that the assets will be forever unproductive -- will pay more for them in the future. Tulips, of all things, briefly became a favorite of such buyers in the 17th century.

Arbitrary!

This type of investment requires an expanding pool of buyers, who, in turn, are enticed because they believe the buying pool will expand still further. Owners are not inspired by what the asset itself can produce -- it will remain lifeless forever -- but rather by the belief that others will desire it even more avidly in the future. The major asset in this category is gold, currently a huge favorite of investors who fear almost all other assets, especially paper money (of whose value, as noted, they are right to be fearful). Gold, however, has two significant shortcomings, being neither of much use nor procreative. True, gold has some industrial and decorative utility, but the demand for these purposes is both limited and incapable of soaking up new production. Meanwhile, if you own one ounce of gold for an eternity, you will still own one ounce at its end.

True; gold is a stable isotope, with a half-life of infinity !!! (maybe)

What motivates most gold purchasers is their belief that the ranks of the fearful will grow. During the past decade that belief has proved correct. Beyond that, the rising price has on its own generated additional buying enthusiasm, attracting purchasers who see the rise as validating an investment thesis. As "bandwagon" investors join any party, they create their own truth -- for a while.

And then... they create more truth by bringing about the very same economic collapse they are afraid of? Nice.

INVEST IN BAKED BEANS
edit on 14-2-2012 by -Blackout- because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/14/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--All Caps Title

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Headline made it sound it was crashing downfall right now

But anyway this same tune as be brought up a million times over the years. It's not down yet were it technically should be.

Flatlined

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The new Physics is all about Gold - they're not daft:
www.youtube.com...

Take a look at what they've discovered - it really is 'The Holy Grail'

The Pharaohs new what they were doing!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Deleted for my own asshatery
edit on 14-2-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

link   
I agree with you 99% lets say, because you were off on just one thing... You can Indeed eat gold...

mmm monoatomic gold is yummy stuff, and it does a body good!

link   
Gold is generally sold at 10 to 1 for every oz on hand. In other countries its as high as 100 to 1. They banned that here in 2011.

So what happens when everyone moves to take possession like many large investors are doing? the ones that do own it. The ones that dont lose. Kinda like a bank run for cash.

But investing in beans isnt so good unless you have the year or so education to determine what is really long term and what will expire before you ever open the can. And trust me i have seen many many preppers who dont have a clue.

So if you want a hedge.......work on a pioneer class trade. Teach yourself or get training for trades that will always be here. Pick ones more desirable if production slows due to companies slowing down.

Good point in the OP.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Exactly. Its very very exclusive.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

Yeah I really dropped the ball here. I thought you were going the other direction and honestly drunkenly read about two sentences before commenting. Sorry. Also, I have some delicious gold.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

No problem

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

This is what I think is going to happen..Aliens are going to take the power grid down..cut communications..and I think they are going to turn all Nuclear Warheads Off..they did this in WY..I guess all of us in America are going to have to learn how to live out in the woods...I think the plan is to make us a cashless society..basically make us all slaves...I am all for stock piling..but I dont have the money to do that..I have came to the conclusion that a human can survive on Peanut Butter and bottled water..I think it would be a good idea to stock pile antibotics..I guess we better hit the pet stores while we can..before the Government makes that impossible..Im worried about all the FEMA CAMPS..I think there are now 800 now in America..maybe they are planning on implanting us all with RFID...I think I had rather take my chances living out in the woods off the grid...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by -Blackout-
They're not dumb! They have experts and stuff, and, hell, they even have Glenn Beck up there speaking truth to... well, they had Glenn Beck up there. But the point is, he wouldn't lie to you!

Guess where I quit reading?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Originally posted by -Blackout-
They're not dumb! They have experts and stuff, and, hell, they even have Glenn Beck up there speaking truth to... well, they had Glenn Beck up there. But the point is, he wouldn't lie to you!

Guess where I quit reading?

....lol read the rest of the post

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I did. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to use that line on that statement.

Peace,
ILikeStars

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

ohhh, gotcha lol

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Deleted for my own asshatery

Me thinks you deserve some GOLD for your so called asshatery. I will trade my gold for your asshatery.

I wlways like to have a stock of asshatery on hand just in case things get really nasty, you know what I mean?
edit on 14-2-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Apollo7

Im worried about all the FEMA CAMPS..I think there are now 800 now in America

Lold hard. Not sure if I was just trolled into pieces but I certainly laughed myself there.

Anyway OP I just counted my sock drawer gold, I have 15 1 oz. Krugerands in the little plastic dealy bobbers (I apparently don't know how to spell 'dealy' or bobbers' is it dealybobbers? Guess not) and the only real purpose I think they serve is to trade in a SHTF scenario to dummies. Perhaps I am the dummy but they sure are shiny. I like shiny.

If everything really went to crap I think the best investment would be bullets and medicine. Bullets are shiny.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I don't know... You would need a lot of the stuff.

Edit to add your edit cracked me up. I don't think I can charge you now. Asshatery is on the house for you. I have a bit extra.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I don't know... You would need a lot of the stuff.

You are right....wait a minute, are you attempting to insult me? You are going to have to dig much deeper than that I suspect.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Putting the vodka away. That was a little self deprecation implying you would need a lot of gold to trade! Not suggesting you are without means, merely that I am very well off in a certain commodity (a certain type of hattery). I'm getting to the point where I am probably misinterpreting everything and should probably try some of that sleep I keep hearing about.

OP what are your thoughts on having a bit of gold as I do? Not investing everything, just having a a few shiny things on hand?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Anyone with half a brain invests in weapons, booze and food

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join