It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS cold cases: Please hear me out.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
In response to this thread I came up with an idea.

I think it would be good to have a java script like function maybe under the 'top topics' section that links users to a random thread from anytime in ATS's history, probably using the search archives as a library for results.
It doesnt have to be the most popular or flagged threads but any thread ever created on ATS.
And possibly an individual one for some of the different forums.

I know a lot of the time it might display a silly thread or something unimportant but I bet it would help for old conspiracies or problems to be solved, have the discussion reignited and preserve the news and conspiracy history on this site.
Seems like a cool idea because some things never get old and because of the huge amount of information so much stuff gets forgotten.

Likewise as the OP of the other thread explained, important things may just be posted at the wrong time or not be easy to create conversation about, and this could change with time.

It could be called “ATS cold cases” or something.

I hope people understand what I am trying to explain here.

What do you think?
Please feel welcome to expand on the idea.

edit on 13-2-2012 by TheCommentator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

Yes! Perfect! I am glad to see that perhaps my thread has sparked this idea! Always room for improvement, and I think this is what we need. Timing is key on ATS and sometimes people get lucky and other times we do not. I bet this wouldn't be hard to do... In fact the mods can give out applauses right? I am no fan of putting all the power into a small group of people's hands, but the people on ATS shoudl be able to "file" a request to be put in this category, and the mods can decide if it is worth looking at and putting into the "cold case file". Not a bad idea.

F (+ imaginary S)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Hey, I really love the idea! Even the silly or unfounded ones would be like a little time machine into the thoughts and moods of that small chunk of time. Say...September of 2011 for Elenin fever or just, like you say, a random one about whatever was being posted during past times.

I think it'd be a great addition, personally. S/F. (err.. Flag, anyway) No question!

edit on 13-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think it is a great idea, going into the archives to look around is intimidating, and looking at thread after thread and all the posts, overwhelming, this could be fun!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Yes! Perfect! I am glad to see that perhaps my thread has sparked this idea! Always room for improvement, and I think this is what we need. Timing is key on ATS and sometimes people get lucky and other times we do not. I bet this wouldn't be hard to do... In fact the mods can give out applauses right? I am no fan of putting all the power into a small group of people's hands, but the people on ATS shoudl be able to "file" a request to be put in this category, and the mods can decide if it is worth looking at and putting into the "cold case file". Not a bad idea. F (+ imaginary S)
Thanks for the inspiration I am sorry if it looks like I am trying to steal your idea; Im really not it just came to me and I thought it would be a really positive thing (hopefully).
I have been trying to find information on certain topics with search and I ended up always finding something more interesting randomly in the results, so we could end up uncovering some real gems depending on how far the archives go back.
I think often times the importance of some threads doesn’t sink into people’s minds quickly enough. Im not sure if they give applause but would that help a thread up the rankings?
Yeah that is a good idea!
You get an imaginary star also

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for the support; I hope a mod can pass this on to the decision makers maybe.

Yeah it would be hilarious to see some old political ones as well from when Bush was president. I hope there archives go way back.
It’s ok you can just give imaginary stars.
So you get an imaginary star

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
I think it is a great idea, going into the archives to look around is intimidating, and looking at thread after thread and all the posts, overwhelming, this could be fun!

I have been trying to find information on certain topics with search and I ended up always finding something more interesting randomly in the results, so we could end up uncovering some real gems depending on how far the archives go back.
I agree very fun.
Imaginary star for you

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Hahaha no, not steal. EXPAND. I likely would have never gone to the board, because I have never been. I like exploring, I really do but... I am un-motivated. about the whole research thing, wanting to find out more about particular topics... I believe the search function should be upgraded as well. Narrow down your search to specific forums, or insert tags on everything you post (at least as another method of searching). Sort by star, flag count, reply count etc.

By the way, it would seem my thread on this subject has died. Ha it never really went anywhere
unfortunately... though I guess we will see where this goes. I am still in!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think SkepticOverlord would have to address this as he is the one who does all the coding of the site....and this would be a coding issue....

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Im not really motivated either, I hear things say in conversation or on tv and wonder if there is a conspiracy around it and a lot of the time there is.
The search function seems to work great sometimes and poorly at others, I guess its a bit of luck.

Oh thats annoying, I thought it was a good idea. Yeah I hope the idea gets picked up.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I think SkepticOverlord would have to address this as he is the one who does all the coding of the site....and this would be a coding issue....
Would you or someone else please be able to pass the idea on to him? Do you think it would be something he would be interested in?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator

Would you or someone else please be able to pass the idea on to him? Do you think it would be something he would be interested in?

Im sure he will see this thread. He is pretty busy but will get to when he can

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Sometimes I just wonder what the formula is for good thread feedback. I mean all caps and exclamation points generally detour me and many misspellings.. otherwise I do not know what I should do, how to sum up the phrase on which my post is based on. I see that even as a high up ATS elite
you are not impervious to this... most all of what you have posed seems to be pretty good stuff, and though you have some threads with decent attention, even you have threads that were left undiscovered...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator

Im sure he will see this thread. He is pretty busy but will get to when he can
Thanks heaps for the clarification.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Sometimes I just wonder what the formula is for good thread feedback. I mean all caps and exclamation points generally detour me and many misspellings.. otherwise I do not know what I should do, how to sum up the phrase on which my post is based on. I see that even as a high up ATS elite
you are not impervious to this... most all of what you have posed seems to be pretty good stuff, and though you have some threads with decent attention, even you have threads that were left undiscovered...

Ignore my old response, I thought this was for me haha

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

I am not an elite
(dont ya listen to ATS Live?
) and I am so not a good thread starter
Thus the reason I dont attempt to start many

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Just some more fodder for this idea...

Perhaps it does not need to be a coding issue, but perhaps mods/admins choose a thread or 2 apiece that they believe needs to be revived and places it into the 'Cold Case forum'.

Sometimes threads just get buried with an influx of new ones and never get resolved. Sometimes news pops up and members see it and just assume it will get added to the thread but it never makes it. They may be threads where there is some resolution, just hasnt been updated.

I vote for the 'Cold Case Forum' with threads handpicked by the staff, no randomization java script needed, just a few astute mods!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Look in your address bar and you'll see something like this at the end of the URL:

/forum/thread809032/pg1

Simply get a random number generator and replace that the part in bold with that number. But have a look at a new thread and see what the number is, then make sure the highest number your RNG will generate is that number. You'll probably come a across a few 404's but that doesn't matter.

Simple.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This one is a freebie, i wont bill ats for it...

Perhaps they may or may not have thought of the idea of simply having a cloud title system generated by the existing tags and people can navigate there way through the cloud image based on generated tags, i know it would kick in the extra crawlers.

Like this , simple enough and most of the code is already generated within this particular site..so it really wouldn't be drama for a geek like s.o.

EDIT : > www.searchcloud.com...
edit on 14-2-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Perhaps it does not need to be a coding issue, but perhaps mods/admins choose a thread or 2 apiece that they believe needs to be revived and places it into the 'Cold Case forum'.
I did sort of think about it like that but I thought the randomization of the process would create better results more of the time, and it minimizes the work mods need to do.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join