It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deleted threads, polite question/request

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
So ive just spend 10 minutes fining a thread i can only assume has been deleted for whatever reason.

No issue with why they get deleted, even though the one i just tryed to find totally played by all forum rules, hence my confusion when i couldnt find it.

Would it be possible to get a mail saying that its been deleted, send to all subscribers, pretty please

Too many threads mysteriously dissappear and im left scratching my head as to weather i even posted on it or im going crazy, since all my post history gets deleted. Its a bit too mysterious for a site that promotes the truth and denys ignorance, as it is.

..and no, it wasnt my thread if you were wondering.

Thats my only issue with this otherwise loverly disussion forum!

Kind regards,

Biigs

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Threads are removed from the boards for violating the T&C. The reasons for threads being removed are between the OP and staff only, not for the rest of the membership.

If you have a particular thread you were interested in, you may certainly send a mod a PM ( me included) and we can look into the issue and provide you with a general reason as to why it was closed, however we will never offer details of staff actions taken with other members, unless they directly involve you.

~Tenth
ATS Moderator

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well i did say that i do not care to know why, id like to have a simple "stop looking because its been deleted" type of a message to the subcribers of it.

currently if a thread does get deleted, thats it, poof not a trace (except to the author of course).

I just want to know if a thread ive participated in, has since broken the rules for whatever reason and been deleted thats it

If im the only guy on the forum that this wastes otherwise good browsing time for, then i shall quietly step back in the shadows!

Thanks for your time.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Is that what just happened when I tried to add a post to a thread and got this message..?

"Insert new reply

Formatting reply for insertion...

You do not have permission to post in this forum. (1)"

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Toffeeapple

It means the thread was moved to a forum that you do not have access to. Which would be a staff only forum.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Why would that be? Do you debate whether or not it breaches T & C's before deciding whether or not to delete it? I so, I applaud that.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toffeeapple
Why would that be? Do you debate whether or not it breaches T & C's before deciding whether or not to delete it? I so, I applaud that.

Yes we do with a few exceptions. Hacking, pron, etc. can be moved without discussion. They are still logged though.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Yes, no staff action is taken without consensus being reached by multiple staff members. Interpretation of the T&C, depending on the infraction can be different depending on circumstances, therefore we always do our best to get the most input before taking any action.

Although there are some that can be dealt with immediately, such as severe violations to the T&C. This could include profanity, out right name calling against another member, those sorts of things.

But anything in a "gray" area, is discussed among staff. That is why sometimes alerts are not actioned right away.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Thank you, it's good to know that a reasoned approach is adopted, rather than random censorship that could be , even inadvertently, influenced by one person's own opinions, or their failure to recognise a remark made as being intended as tongue in cheek rather than offensive.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Well actually thats why it took me so long to work out the thread i was participating in, had been deleted.

There were no t&c post deletes and no "closed for staff review" by an admin to look at- just completly gone and so quickly after it was started, possibly only 10 minutes.

edit on 13-2-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

Well actually thats why it took me so long to work out the thread i was participating in, had been deleted.

There were no t&c post deletes and no "closed for staff review" by an admin to look at- just completly gone and so quickly after it was started, possibly only 10 minutes.

Right. The one I was on could well have some legal implications re a link that was supplied. Out of curiosity, was it still listed in your "My ATS" section as a thread you'd contributed to?

edit on 13-2-2012 by Toffeeapple because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

For me, no trace at all on my ats, subscriptions nor on any forum locked or otherwise.

If its going to cause too much inbox spam or too much work etc, the thread deleted message to subscribers thing was just a thought i had since it caused me to be quite confused, perhaps i need ot lighten up and pay more attention!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Yeah i do not always get it, I have had 3 threads removed by the secret police here. I never really got a real explanation besides some BS ones that made no sense at all. Im still learning how things work here but its like 1984theforum.com sometimes

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Threads get deleted all the time.Sometimes they contain rants
that could cause problems with other members.Some threads
get hijacked by others and taken down a path that requires being
deleted.
I just had a rant thread deleted within minutes of posting.I got it
off my chest,the staff got it off the board.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Here's a method I use to see if a thread has been deleted that I commented in. I don't start many threads myself so I have no idea if this works for threads you authored but it does seem to work for me with posts. Anyway...

When I comment in a thread and that later gets deleted, the mention of it is gone in the My ATS Subscribed Threads list. However, if you click Tools and then Subscriptions it is still listed there but the forum it's posted in is listed as (from memory) Trash or Recycle Bin making it easy to see something has been deleted. You still need to remove the subscription by checking a box and clicking Delete/Remove before it disappears from that list.

I do agree that a U2U to the OP only would be a nice-to-have feature but whether that is easy to change for Site Admins and programmers is another matter.

edit on 14/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo, clarification

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshF
Yeah i do not always get it, I have had 3 threads removed by the secret police here. I never really got a real explanation besides some BS ones that made no sense at all. Im still learning how things work here but its like 1984theforum.com sometimes

You are more than welcome to contact staff in regards to any action a staff member takes against you. We are ALWAYS available for discussion.

With that said, when a thread is moved or trashed, most of the time the staff member puts a note in the move message.

Threads are trashed for T&C violations only.

Again, anyone can contact staff any time for discussion.

edit on February 14th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Mod Note: Post On Topic – Please Review This Link.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Post removed.

On reconsidering, I decided my comment was a bit unkind - maybe I made a harsh judgement on someone who was just having a bad day.
edit on 14-2-2012 by Toffeeapple because: As stated.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by JoshF

You are more than welcome to contact staff in regards to any action a staff member takes against you. We are ALWAYS available for discussion.

With that said, when a thread is moved or trashed, most of the time the staff member puts a note in the move message.

Threads are trashed for T&C violations only.

Again, anyone can contact staff any time for discussion.

That is just simply not true, the one time I did receive and actual message from the mod it said

The staff has overwhelming agreed that this particular thread is not ATS material. Thank you for your understanding.

But this was after a couple pages and over a week, T&Cs have nothing to do with it. It was not liked so it was deleted, that is censorship and has nothing to do with the T&Cs.
edit on 14-2-2012 by JoshF because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshF

well i dont want to disuss moderation etc. i do not care the reason for a deletion etc i just want to know for sure if somthing has been binned.

do not get my thread locked because of your own misguided posts thanks

edit on 14-2-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join