It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS's Gutter-rats and the 90+ intro thread

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
An intro thread that has gained so many flags and sceptics trying to prove that the user is a hoax?

Honestly, ATS never fails to disappoint me.

I believe that we should at least allow him to post a thread before we all jump down his throat. Not to mention that if the guy claims to be and turns out to be 90+; the fact that so many cynics have sought to undermine an elderly man dying of cancer is certainly loathsome. If he's sprouting falsehoods; I'm sure I and ATS will be able to suss it out but until then; I suggest that a lot of you should cool your jets and not get your panties in a twist. You're acting like spoiled brats; crying and throwing tantrums because he won't directly answer your questions in an intro thread. Allow him to post his threads and see what happens and if it doesn't add up; then there is no harm in his exposure as a fraud. And no; I never went though a "hazing" ritual to be an ATS member. I joined because I was seeking knowledge about the various topics that I had interest in and sharing my opinions with people, debating with people with different opinions and generally hoping to learn something interesting, not read 18 pages of people poking holes through a user's statement.

There is a limit to my patience when I consider the amount of solid ATS members on these boards who post considerate, thoughtful responses to a person's thread compared to the gutter-rats who barely have 5-minute attention spans and come out with illogical, boorish statements like "THat's I@mpooisnble!!1 90yearolds can't use computer11! Guize, he's fakes! Pics or your a fake!" And while it's certainly true that this site has changed over the years since I've joined, I will not abide this passive-aggressive posting style regardless whether the OP is legit or not. I think of the decent posters back in the day who are now no longer with us and I can see why they stopped posting. It must be pretty frustrating to deal with people who disregard your OP and sprouts foolish nonsense to further muddy the waters.

Keep it up ATS! Let's continue to circle the drain!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Utter tripe.

The person behind the posts has referenced a number of popular topics, claiming that it is his grandkids who have an interest in UFO's. He sounds like someone who has been on multiple boards before.

If someone wants to come onto ATS with a backstory about themselves, they should just contact admin and let provide them proof so no one questions it. It has been done many times before.

ATS is not a place that requires people to post a history or profile of themselves. It's a discussion forum where most are anonymous, and there is nothing wrong with that.

If verification is provided, sure, the fellow deserves the respect of the forum. If not though, expect to be challenged on things that don't make sense.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I agree, as for myself i really want to hear what he has to say, if you believe its a hoax or whatever then stop waisting everybody's time and stay away from the thread, people can think for themselves, i do not need a kid to make up my mind for me.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
God forbid someone with actual knowledge and experiences comes in to ATS.

They will be run out on a rail. Unfortunately.
edit on 10-2-2012 by VariableConstant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Why would a dying old man show up on ATS to reveal his back story?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by VariableConstant

There have been plenty. A number of great guests have appeared on ATS Live radio as well. The difference, is anyone who wants to discuss themselves and be taken seriously, should pass their credentials to the admin first. For the most part, people are fine being anonymous and posting information on topics.

This isn't the only forum that is like that.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Maybe for the very same reason all of us are here. Why Not, its a free world. He said he joined ATS to comment on excisting posts, he's interested in some of the things he read on these boards. He can relate...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Maybe because he has some knowledge/interests/opinions to share with us? Needs some like-minded companionship?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917

Maybe because he has some knowledge/interests/opinions to share with us? Needs some like-minded companionship?

Easily done without a backstory.

There is a reason some value anonymity of the internet and discussion forums like this one. Everyone is on a level playing field. People don't listen to others simply because of who they are, or what their rank is, or what they have done.

Some of the most valued information on the board, comes from people who do due diligence and provide sources for all the materials they have discussed, allowing the reader to go back and come to a different or similar conclusion.

Sometimes opinions are important too, as are personal experiences, depending on the topic. But for the most part, nothing personal is needed. You don't have to be "somebody" on here.

edit on 10-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Utter tripe.

Not at all. I believe that it is a reasonable response to wait and see if the 90+ user will post a thread based on the things that he claimed to have experienced. Though if he does decide not to; I'd understand that. Why would anyone be willing enough to put up with the vitriol that is so prevalent on these boards which routinely dishes out straw-man arguments, ostentatious non sequiturs and irresponsible statements?

The person behind the posts has referenced a number of popular topics, claiming that it is his grandkids who have an interest in UFO's. He sounds like someone who has been on multiple boards before.

And what if he has been on multiple boards before? My brother's pet is on Facebook. Does that mean my brother is an Illumanati mystic who fashions magic bullets to be used in the assassination of important world leaders? Of course not, but my brother's dog never "referenced" a number of popular topics. All he does is eat, sleep and chew my clothes. If he has mentioned these topics, he hasn't gone into them in detail yet since he has yet to post a thread. Ultimately, you should calm down and wait to see what this user has to offer. If he's full of it, ATS and most of the users will be able to call him on it. Reasonable eh?

If someone wants to come onto ATS with a backstory about themselves, they should just contact admin and let provide them proof so no one questions it. It has been done many times before.

Like John Lear? The user in question has just posted an intro thread; probably not expecting such a reaction from a website. If he was fishing for that, then he'll get found out eventually.

ATS is not a place that requires people to post a history or profile of themselves. It's a discussion forum where most are anonymous, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Of course not, but he volunteered information on what he was interested in talking about and what he may be willing to post threads on about. The gutter-rats, as always, overreacts whenever someone has an interesting intro. Possibly because they've been burnt before by various hoaxes, such is the vehemency of their reaction.

Ultimately, people need to keep an open mind to these sort of things but not be prey to it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MacDonagh

Like John Lear? The user in question has just posted an intro thread; probably not expecting such a reaction from a website. If he was fishing for that, then he'll get found out eventually.

If I'm not mistaken, he said he reads these boards and has been for awhile.

The reaction should probably be expected.

And what if he has been on multiple boards before?

I am a Scientist.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by VariableConstant

There have been plenty. A number of great guests have appeared on ATS Live radio as well. The difference, is anyone who wants to discuss themselves and be taken seriously, should pass their credentials to the admin first. For the most part, people are fine being anonymous and posting information on topics.

This isn't the only forum that is like that.

I see your point, but keep in mind it was an Introduction thread. He was just introducing himself and giving a bit of information about his background.

He was not making bold claims like being a time-traveler or space-faring alien. He just wanted to state who he was and why he joined, and I don't think someone deserves such rough treatment right out the gates like that. But that's just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Lets be honest here. ATS is equal opportunity. Old, young, dying, newly born, man, woman , reptilian- you cant show up on this site and not expect to be questioned by the skeptics here. It is just impossible.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

I see your point, but keep in mind it was an Introduction thread. He was just introducing himself and giving a bit of information about his background.

He was not making bold claims like being a time-traveler or space-faring alien. He just wanted to state who he was and why he joined, and I don't think someone deserves such rough treatment right out the gates like that. But that's just my opinion.

Fair enough.

Although ATS has a long history of bogus introductions. People are going to be skeptical and there is no way around it.

If you read into the context of the poster however, it does not sound like someone giving and introduction, it sounds like someone who is trying to get a reaction from the crowd.

EX:

Hi, my name is John Doe. 65 years old and still going strong. I was a Policeman for 32 years and have seen some pretty awful things in my life, questioned most of it in my retirement and have had a problem swallowing the mainstream stories over the past few years. Always been a fan of the not so mainstream stuff, which probably led me to this forum.

Looking forward to being a part of ATS.

-----------------------------------------------------

Enough of an intro where most people wouldn't question the guy, but still dropped enough clues about the life of the fellow.

If you search the recent introduction, just count how many times "those days" "nowadays", references there are. It sounds like someone trying to be old, as opposed to someone who is just old.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by matilda
people can think for themselves

Who told you that? Are you sure you read ATS?

I am pretty sure the intro thread is to say Hi, and then you make your 20 posts and then you contribute. So how many times, has the intro thread been used to garner attention, simply because the OP knows they will never make the 20 posts before being sent away?

Not to mention that if someone really wants to be seen as honest and has something of real interest, the people they must put up with who are a little sceptical of their claims, is nothing at the end of the day.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
My feeling is that the post is a type of literary exercise. How can I write a great story with this character? Will people believe me if I say this, or do this?

For example, he said he joined the Navy at 16...which would have to be around 1938/1939. He would've been of voting age for the 1944 election-which all of the WW2 survivors I have talked to (of age at the time) voted in; he didn't vote in an election until 1952.

Every veteran of WW2 I have spoken to will take every chance to talk about their service years. I asked him where was he based out of-no answer. He mentioned working for McDonell Douglas, but got the name wrong. To me, these things make his story sound less than believable.

If that makes me a gutter rat, than I hope I meet some Ninja Turtles soon.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I am a scientist.

I move like water, I go with the flow. I go back to old school, I go back to Rome but this is not history, it's the start of the show. Never worry, that is the way that I roll.

reply to post by TsukiLunar

Back when I joined, I never posted a thing on the intro forum because I wanted to be noted on my opinions and my posting style. While the 90+ user has posted things about himself, it's awfully premature to bury him and speaks more about the users on this site than the poster/alleged hoaxer. Paranoid, distrusting of new posters, reactionary and it harms ATS more than any hoax ever could as it may discourage new users from joining the site. We'll see if the 90+ user's threads hold up to scrutiny. If it doesn't, then ATS will sniff it out as we always tend to do. I genuinely believe that people who were screaming "hoax" in the thread are generally the same people who go about internet videos and type/scream FIRST! so they can claim "YEAH, I called it before anyone else ever did." Clearly such a damaging mindset harms any site that wants to be a serious outlet for alternative news and proper, civil debate.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NuminousCosmos

For example, he said he joined the Navy at 16...which would have to be around 1938/1939. He would've been of voting age for the 1944 election-which all of the WW2 survivors I have talked to (of age at the time) voted in; he didn't vote in an election until 1952.

He explained that he didn't get into politics until Eisenhower. I never voted when I first came of voting age due to the fact that I had no interest in politics. It happens.

He mentioned working for McDonell Douglas, but got the name wrong.

Really? You've never done a typo in your life? As my grandma used to say; it's rude to assume.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MacDonagh

A typo is when you write "asssume" not when you worked for Macy's and then spelled it "Darcies."

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
i couldn't agree with you more, OP. there is a difference between being skeptical and being just plain rude. it honestly makes me sad what has become of ATS.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join