It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS's Gutter-rats and the 90+ intro thread

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MacDonagh

It is but it's a very poor advert for ATS. If a potential new member stumbled upon that thread; they'd be taken aback by the viciousness that was on display and will think twice before joining up. It's no longer about who is in the right any more since the conduct of some members in that thread was nothing short of a disgrace. Hoax or not, there is no grace in that thread whatsoever.

So show me the thread where it wasn't a hoax and the same thing happened.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Thanks for the explaination. Hearing it explained like you have done, makes perfectly good sense! It sucks that there are people out there, that just want to make things up. Kinda defeats the purpose of this site.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Hello MacDonagh,

For what it's worth...since it's now a closed thread under staff review.

I was one of the members that questioned him in that thread. Never, did he give an answer. But promised to.

So, I can certainly agree with what you say here:

I believe that we should at least allow him to post a thread before we all jump down his throat.

Which he said he would prepare this week end:

As promised I planned to spend my weekend preparing a non-introductory thread detailing some experiences I hope will contribute to this site.

From his reply here.

So hopefully, we will find out soon enough if he walks the talk...

Finally, I respect that you've been a member here for a very long time - I've only been around for close to two years - but we have to understand that an intro thread is an intro thread and not Project Camelot's Whistle blower Section.

If someone busts the door open with an intro stating that he's holding secrets, worked with secrets ops, has seen objects that in his opinion were non terrestrial well...one can assume that he will be questioned. No matter if he's 90 or not.

Not to do so leaves the door open for ATS to become a circus like some other conspiracy sites that I won't name.

With respect and just my opinion.

edit on 12-2-2012 by SonoftheSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Either you've remained oblivious to what goes on in these forums or you're being deliberately obtuse. Take for example this thread from the member Outkast Searcher were he was attacked by various RP supporters. Look here.
Also, you should take a stroll around the 9/11 forums if you want to see the way some people conduct themselves.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

So hopefully, we will find out soon enough if he walks the talk...

Indeed. Until he posts his story; you can't debunk it. It's best to be patient until he comes out with his thread.

I was one of the members that questioned him in that thread. Never, did he give an answer. But promised to.

I remember your posts; probably because they didn't make my eyes roll so hard that my retinas detached. You were at least somewhat civil.

It is for the best to wait and see what Alonzo will post in his thread but until then; people should keep a neutral viewpoint to wait and see what comes out from it. After all; the intro thread was nothing more than confrontational with both sides of the argument taking pot shots at each other. Not entertaining in the slightest in my opinion.
edit on 12/2/12 by MacDonagh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ops4Ops

But of course. This site was meant for alternative discussion but then again; some believe that there is nothing better than watching folk rage out against each other over NOTHING!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
reply to post by boncho

Either you've remained oblivious to what goes on in these forums or you're being deliberately obtuse. Take for example this thread from the member Outkast Searcher were he was attacked by various RP supporters. Look here.
Also, you should take a stroll around the 9/11 forums if you want to see the way some people conduct themselves.

We are talking about introduction forums and people being "rude" to the OP. Not random topics, it is two separate issues.

It works on both angles as well, just look up "Boncho shill" to see how many times people throw that word at me. I don't mind though, as it's irrelevant to the topic at hand.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

We are talking about introduction forums and people being "rude" to the OP. Not random topics, it is two separate issues.

No. That's what you're talking about. The purpose of my thread wasn't to rant about the intro forum but to highlight the clear incongruities that seem to occur in most if not ALL forums on this website which has frustrated me for a long time. From my standpoint, it's the same damn thing for not once have I singled out the intro forum as being as/more contentious as the other more divisive forums such as the 9/11 forum, aliens and UFOs or the political arena. While it may be true that the intro forum has fallen prey to hoaxers in the past; I'd have thought by now, fellow members would not instantly rage out whenever an intro thread disagrees with their common sense. Clearly, I've been mistaken.

It works on both angles as well, just look up "Boncho shill" to see how many times people throw that word at me. I don't mind though, as it's irrelevant to the topic at hand.

There are worst things to be called than that and it's a term that is easily thrown about by reactionary users who are on the losing side of an argument. A side-effect of the continual slide of reasoned debate on this site. Such a pity.
edit on 12/2/12 by MacDonagh because: bad grammer

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

There are worst things to be called than that and it's a term that is easily thrown about by reactionary users who are on the losing side of an argument. A side-effect of the continual slide of reasoned debate on this site. Such a pity.

If I called hoax on something and it was proven to be true, I would retract the statement. Probably offer an apology to the person I questioned.

I'm used to people questioning things I post and for the most part I enjoy it. If we are to believe everything that is typed onto these forums we would all be mad. So I don't see it as a bad thing.

I do understand where you are coming from though, as a decent debate is the goal. However, people posting "I can't believe people would talk to an old man like that", well, we don't actually know if it's an old man. It was never shown to be true.

The thread this thread is about, had a poster that was looking for attention and it was clear in the introduction.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
That thread was like watching a car crash.
Why is it so hard to believe a 90 year old is interested in what this site has to offer? I don't think he ever once indicated he had some earth shattering revelations, just a different insight and perhaps the odd first hand account any person of such an age might.
Half of the people trolling had barely a handful of posts between them..People who obviously need a baseball bat around the head in order to understand the blatant fact his moniker came from a Lovecraft tale and trying to call him out because he professed to playing Call of ruddy Duty. Seriously?
The Wii is common place in most senior homes these days..My 85 year old dad plays Call of Duty. He shut's himself in the bedroom playing games on my hand me down PS2 and Xbox whilst my mum watches #ty soaps all day, needless to say he has a sharper mind than his 24 years junior wife who's brain has atrophied to Home and Away.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm used to people questioning things I post and for the most part I enjoy it. If we are to believe everything that is typed onto these forums we would all be mad. So I don't see it as a bad thing.

I do understand where you are coming from though, as a decent debate is the goal. However, people posting "I can't believe people would talk to an old man like that", well, we don't actually know if it's an old man. It was never shown to be true.

Completely agree with that. Like some on this, I have my own doubts about the fellow in question, but not to the point were I would want proof in a photograph or something like that. I need to see the fella's thread first before I jump straight in and start dissecting his story to see if it holds up.

reply to post by Suspiria

That thread was like watching a car crash.
Why is it so hard to believe a 90 year old is interested in what this site has to offer? I don't think he ever once indicated he had some earth shattering revelations, just a different insight and perhaps the odd first hand account any person of such an age might.

It is a slightly peculiar event for a 90+ user to want to join a forum. I would be interested in what he has to offer this site and whether or not his thread(s) will hold water. Of course, it could always be a complete fraud who is lying about his age but I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt since I wouldn't want to lose a member who may have some interesting insights.

Half of the people trolling had barely a handful of posts between them..People who obviously need a baseball bat around the head in order to understand the blatant fact his moniker came from a Lovecraft tale and trying to call him out because he professed to playing Call of ruddy Duty. Seriously?

It's sheer laziness from those users. Check out this post for instance: CLICKY Google is a useful search engine, but people tend to fall back on it and not read what is in front of them and ask incisive questions. Not that there was any place for that; being an intro thread and all. I'm also pretty sure that the older generation have been using new media devices for awhile; so it's not outside the realms of possibility that an older person would use a forum.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

edit on 13-2-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Neat. Now let us have a gander whether or not it holds up.

If it doesn't; nothing of value is lost or gained.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join