It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RE: (with better pics) Is this an ancient tool or just a stone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Last time due the lack of quality pictures let people quessing or uncertain. Hope this time the quality and angles are good enough.
I also noticed that Im a terrible photographer as it was difficult to get a good clean shots even if the object was still

Location of the site I found this is in south Finland in edge of a pit wich was formed by a huge chunk of ice from the ice age, as it melted. The place has been used as a ski-jumping in the old days.
I'll add few photos of the location, though they are not my photos.

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

I know I should have gotten better pics with that camera, but this is the best I could. So, what say you? A stone or a tool?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think it could be either. I said to your last pics that it could be a tomahawk head. Set that between a piece of split wood and tie it tight with a bit of leather and it's a perfect tool. But the shape could also just be from weathering and being knocked about for a million years. Nice though.

Have a look at my strange rock

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by WeekendWarrior

Doesn't look like its been tooled and it doesn't appear to be the type of rock used for tools either.

But I'm no expert, and that's who you'll have to see to be sure.

Do you have a local archeology club? If you do, go see them.

edit on 7/2/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Some kind of hammer was my first thought, a weapon of some sort. But you have a very interesting stone there at first glimpse. I will check out your thread.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

If I get some encouraging opinions, I will most certainly take it to some professional to take a look. Thanks for input

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

looks like a pestle from a pair of grinding stones you should go back to where you found it and see if u can find the mortar that goes with it

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I hunt arrowheads. Although I agree with chadwickus that it doesn't look tooled or isn't typically the type of rock used, I have seen weights, for fishing nets, that are similar. They're usually large, long and phallic shaped. These types of weights are sometimes made with inferior materials not normally associated with weapons/tools. The weights only have to be heavy and hold together underwater. They aren't subjected to same kind of forces as spearheads/arrowheads or tools. Why use your best rock for weights when most any heavy rock would do.

There are many good resources on the web for identifying such objects. Just because materials might be a bit unusual don't discount the ingenuity of early man. Hunting parties would bring whatever tools/arrowheads they could carry but also styled new ones if the need arose, sometimes out of more inferior local materials.

I would imagine where you live fishing parties might have been the norm. While hauling and preserving the nets would be essential the weights could be cast aside to help ease the load. It's possible inferior materials were sometimes preferred depending on use.

Keep looking you never know what you'll find.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

Thanks for your opinion, there has certainly been a small lake at some point. And very near still a large swamp. Interesting

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I would love to explore your neck of the woods. Swamps are great places to find well preserved artifacts. A few mummies have been found in swamps and bogs.

Let the weather help you search, for you dry periods might be the best time to explore areas that might otherwise be flooded, keep revisiting the site if you can. Where I live I always find the best stuff after a good rain or after the snow melts.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

Its a protected area, the whole forest. So Im not sure if I should go to do any digging by myself

But have to admit that its very tempting idea..

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Not condoning any illegal activity but it doesn't hurt to look. Private individuals have reported amazing finds. If say a bone fragment is spotted whether it's on protected land or not it should be left alone and reported immediately. Much info can be gathered from the surroundings if the find is left undisturbed.

Although it's fun to look for such things we shouldn't be selfish treasure hunters. I never dig for what I find. Sometimes I check areas of high erosion allowing mother nature to reveal what's hidden...no dino bones yet! Good luck and have fun.

new topics

top topics

join