It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim man: My workplace quip made me a terror suspect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

On Jan. 21, 2011, Allami sent a text message to colleagues urging them to "blow away" the competition at a trade show in New York City.

The Quebec man says he was arrested by provincial police while picking up his seven-year-old son at school. A team of police officers stormed into his home, telling his wife she was married to a terrorist. And his work colleagues were detained for hours at the U.S. border because of their connection to him.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

So the Police Force here in Canada, as well, are reviewing every single text we send..

Wow.

This is very scary.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither and will soon lose both...

Feel safer yet?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Shocking! The article doesn't say how the man was flagged up, whether someone who received or saw the text alerted authorities OR most frightening, that every electronic communication is monitored on a system and when certain words are used it alerts a person who reviews it.
Given the issue with 2 UK citizens tweet costing them entry to US I suspect the latter.
So there we are - big brother is watching.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Too bad he isn't Jewish.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Every text and call can be picked up from monitoring software, a Muslim man mentioning blow away the competition and NYC could conceivably be a threat or part of a plot. At the end of the day it isn't a quip in the best of taste but still a touchy subject and not one to be joked about

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Really? You think it is perfectly fine for the government to monitor electronic communication? You think a man should not be able to encourage his workmates in a benign way because of his race?

If they got this information through electronic eaves dropping that is disturbing. It seems like they pick and choose which cases to release to the news in an attempt to foster fear among the people.

If one of his fellow employees turned it in, he is the epitome of failure.

Hey OTL, I have a question. If a white christian male with a military service record says, "I hope Oklahoma City gets blown away" should he be investigated? What if he is talking about the team the Oklahoma City Thunder?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
So this happens again. Perhaps they should come up with a list of modern day sayings that are a no-no. I'd kill to get one of those... no seriously... I would really kill... not

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
LOL Do you people really think the government was monitoring this guy? But lets say they were clearly they would have seen he was no threat and would hav ignored said text. This has herp derp written all over it. Some islamiphobe got the text and reported him. Open and shut.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Really, i suggest everyone stops saying anything aboutanything, we should all just communicate through a set of pre determined responses approved by government!.

We can have no more joking around(it is in very bad taste you know)

If you have not figured out that the terrorists really are the government , then there is something wrong with you. Mind you from your av, i think i know where you are coming from, another highly educated leo or similar(not).

Words are wasted on people like you that really believe all this BS that they fill you with.

I feel sad that you are unable to see this for what it is.

Most others here will understand where i am coming from so i do not need to explain further.

Sad state of affairs that this world is coming to.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by facchino

that every electronic communication is monitored on a system and when certain words are used it alerts a person who reviews it.

There is such a system in place in Canada. There has been a documentary about it some years ago, on TV.

The reviewer did not do his job correctly. If the man win his case, it could hopefully be used as a reference in the future.

There's a delicate balance between security and freedom.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devino
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither and will soon lose both...

Feel safer yet?

What is this the word police?

Thought crime?

Sense offense?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
So this happens again. Perhaps they should come up with a list of modern day sayings that are a no-no. I'd kill to get one of those... no seriously... I would really kill... not

Cannot be blown away by stuff, cannot get wasted, cannot lay waste to something, cannot kill for something, a movie/play better not bomb ( or be "the bomb")...

There have been times when I've been talking on the phone, and say something similar to above, and then clarify myself while still on the phone

A few years ago, it made the news, that someone was talking to their mom about the play that bombed, and the feds showed up at the door over that remark.
They've been monitoring all of us for many more years than they admit to.....

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by brommas

Sucks to be a Muslim I guess, maybe if they practiced what they preached and didn't change their tune in Mosque then this wouldent be an issue. Their religion out of all religions breeds fanatics, it's just the way it is

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

All religions breed fanatics. I get what you mean though... there is a significantly higher percentage of those associated with the Muslim religion and "terrorism"... but one has to wonder if the reason for that is because of the high Muslim percentage in an unstable area that's known for "terrorism".

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I dont think religion is the issue at all. It is the over all well being of society that breeds terrorist and criminals. Religion is just the excuse they use like politics is the excuse for wars. If you really intent on having a "war against terrorism" you do that by eliminating the cause. You would seek make all "enemy" states well being states. Instead the current "war against terrorism" is doing the exact opposite and just breeding more dicontent and hatered.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Too bad he isn't Jewish.

Too bad you're not a bigot. Oh, wait...

Paranoia at it's finest. Using a saying that's been around for decades, and always used with a specific meaning, now means something else when used by a particular religious group. Sense has left the building.

/TOA

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Proof the NSA and the Telecoms are now one and the same. Is this echelon, that scans every single text message looking for certain keywords? I think we can safely assume the system can identify the ethnicity of the sender too, aggregating biometrics from consumer-data agencies and telecom contracts into their sniffing program. Hmm, come to think of it, I wouldn't doubt the type of phone contract - like 'anonymous' prepaid phones, elevates their spying on you.

Another sad day of 'freedom' in the West.

top topics

join