It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Antarctica: breakthrough imminent.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Epirus
Modern humans haven't even existed for 1 million years if that area has been isolated for 20 million years isn't it possible that far more advanced creatures evolved and are still alive down there? Or what if a new virus/bacteria is lying in wait? We wouldn't have any immunities to it and it could wipe us out.

If they are so advanced, why are they not drilling up to find us?

Um, nevermind.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Uh oh! Just saw this on Fox News:

Russian Scientists Lost

Apparently no one from the US team has heard from them in 5 days........

Maybe something happened......or maybe they just don't want to talk, but stilll..... hmmmmmm

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
How is this good news?
We are about to infect one of the last places on earth that hasn't been destroyed by the human footprint, they could possibly kill every living organism within seconds of breaking that last inch of ice. Do a search on Tahiti or the natives of South America to see just how wonderful the outcome may be.
NOTHING good will come of this.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Newest reports are that they haven't heard from the site in a while now, and are starting to get worried.

www.foxnews.com...

A group of Russian scientists plumbing the frozen Antarctic in search of a lake buried in ice for tens of millions of years have failed to respond to increasingly anxious U.S. colleagues -- and as the days creep by, the fate of the team remains unknown.
"No word from the ice for 5 days," Dr. John Priscu professor of Ecology at Montana State University, told FoxNews.com via email.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Maybe the got ate by something really nasty?

Maybe they found "It"?

Maybe they released the plague that will wipe out humanity?

I hope they are alright, and just too busy to respond.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Great,they're gonna wake up Cuthuluh.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This is some of the most exciting news i have heard in a while. Hopefully they are alright. What if they found some kind of spaceship or alien artifacts down there preserved beautifully, and they just aren't answering because there to busy freaking out about the new discoveries?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7

I thought the same

And I also think that they finally found something and oopsie!... "make it look like an accident" and stuff...

I think that today i'm more paranoid than yesterday. LOL

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
agartha here we come

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
MAN O' MAN!!!! I take it most of you have never actually worked on a drilling rig, or did but never pulled samples out from a hole.

First, to take a sample out they send whats called a "tool" down the whole. This tool would then finish the last of the drill. Then the tool would take a sample. This whole time, everything is sealed in and not let out of the whole. Just like when they drill for oil and don't want to let ANY H2S gas out. look that one up boys and girls....H2S gas.....they never mess with this stuff or "accidentally" vent some out. It happens on occasion but they have protocols and procedures when it comes to it. Lets put it this way......One breath of H2S gas and you are
a. either a vegetable or
b. dead

So can some of you please.........please stop with the uneducated guesses!

They will take a sample, and then seal the Hole.
Then they will test sample, which will take months or years of study.
Then they will either set up a service well or seal it in.
If they set up a service well, then they found something they want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If they seal it in......end of story and nothing they want.

PERIOD!

I worked the rigs for a number of years and hit one of the Highest concentrations of H2S gas ever recorded in Alberta, so I know a little of what I talk about. What I'm wondering about more than anything is what do they think they found? Oldest water from a lake ever.....LMAO Lets go and spend 50 million and take a sample of water......LOL really, that is funny.

It's more like they found an endless supply of oil or something. They didn't go drilling for gas, they have more than enough of that. I'm sure they found something.......but water????? right!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Why would they let 5 days go by without a response ????? How many scientists or drillers r missing ????

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

Not to polk holes, but I thought H2S was only in an environment with out oxygen. Where as Lake Vostok has a high oxygen content so they say.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm waiting to watch the youtube video of this event

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

Originally posted by Chance321
reply to post by Arken

Not really sure what to feel about this. It's . . interesting. But, here's the part that I'm a little leary of, the scientist are worried about contaminating the lake from the drill bit, but I'd be more concerned with the possibility of releasing something into the air that could have an effect on man. Hasn't seen light in 20 million years? Who really knows what they may release into the air? Probably nothing, but still it should be a consideration, shouldn't it?

I would think the ice just above the frozen lake would contain the same elements. Im sure they tested it.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

I'm pretty sure we have that already. Wouldn't be too profitable to release though, or natural thus impossible to patent.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
Wow I thought they were supposed to wait... Considering punching threw is risking leaking tons and tons of chemicals into an untouched lake...

They agreed to warm water drilling instead but clearly they didn't want to wait any longer...
Russians....

Aside from that. Any forms of life they find down their in my opinion would confirm the extreme likeliness of life on Mars. Similar climates.
edit on 2-2-2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

They fixed this problem and last I read they were using hot water drills.
"Ice isn't like rock, it's capable of movement," Dr. Priscu told FoxNews.com. "So in order to keep the hole from squeezing shut, they put a fluid in the drill called kerosene. Kerosene also grows bacteria, and there's about 65 tons of kerosene in that hole. It would be a disaster if that kerosene contaminated this pristine lake."
But the scientists came up with a clever way to make sure this debacle would not occur. They agreed to drill until a sensor warned them of free water. At that point they will take out the right amount of kerosene and adjust the pressure so that none of the liquids fall into the lake, but rather lake water would rise through the hole.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Unfortunately they seem to be missing now....

A group of Russian scientists plumbing the frozen Antarctic in search of a lake buried in ice for tens of millions of years have failed to respond to increasingly anxious U.S. colleagues -- and as the days creep by, the fate of the team remains unknown.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Uh oh! Just saw this on Fox News:

Russian Scientists Lost

Apparently no one from the US team has heard from them in 5 days........

Maybe something happened......or maybe they just don't want to talk, but stilll..... hmmmmmm

I thought this quote from the above link was kind of amusing:

"Ice isn't like rock, it's capable of movement," Dr. Priscu told FoxNews.com. "So in order to keep the hole from squeezing shut, they put a fluid in the drill called kerosene. Kerosene also grows bacteria, and there's about 65 tons of kerosene in that hole. It would be a disaster if that kerosene contaminated this pristine lake."

So just in case you've never heard of Kerosene, it's there and it grows bacteria...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Or THIS

edit on 2-2-2012 by L00kingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
We will see an epic scientific event within the next week.
Only 40 feet from the expected waterline of Vostok Lake.
They have about 2 weeks to breach or it won't happen until next December.

An interesting news:

"Antarctica: Joint Inspection US and Russian Federation".

Tuesday, 24 January 2012, 9:31 am
Press Release: US State Department

Media Note

Office of the Spokesperson

Washington, DC

January 21, 2012

The United States and the Russian Federation will send a joint team to inspect foreign stations, installations and equipment in Antarctica from January 23 to January 28, 2012. The inspection will be conducted pursuant to the Antarctic Treaty of 1959 and its Environmental Protocol. The State Department and the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs will co-lead the inspection, which is the first joint inspection conducted by either country.

Just in time (my comment), and the official page is just removed www.state.gov...

And a very scary comment:

Valery Lukin , who is leading the effort for the Russians, is on the ice. Last year, he told Reuters that their work is “like exploring an alien planet where no one has been before. We don’t know what we’ll find.”

The discovery of Lake Vostok is a hope or a threat? Is Lake Vostok the Pandora's box?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Other related threads:
The Lake Vostok Conspiracy
Antarctica 2012

edit on 2-2-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

No one ever mentions the magnetic anomaly anymore in the articles!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
So these guys have gone missing now for five days? Whats the deal? Why don't we go get them?

I would be really interested to find out whats in lake vostok.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join