It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Antarctica: breakthrough imminent.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
As soon as I read "20 million years" I stopped reading...

Seriously do they just make this stuff up as they go along? - "find a really cool dark lake at the bottom of ocean... must conclude it to be 20 million of years old!" *sigh*...

Don't fall for that garbage people... Its pure government brainwashing. Use your own brain.
edit on 2-2-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by shadowland8
Like the guy said on the first page, I'm wary of this. Something locked away from millions of millions of years, being reintroduced into the world now, may have really bad implications on everything. Remember the X files where that thing was locked away in the ice or something?

I vaguely remember that episode! Was it from the X-Files youth...maybe even season 1? They went to some arctic base where a suspected microbe was wreaking havoc?

link   

Originally posted by L00kingGlass
reply to post by Jason Paul

They're probably purposely not "answering the phone", too busy. They're so close to breaking through, and they don't have time to waste with the winter season getting closer.

Either that or they've already broken through and found something. Those are the only two possibilities in my mind.

The second scenario is plausible if they were overcome with excitement and curiosity over a find, they would likely ignore incoming communications.
edit on 2-2-2012 by L00kingGlass because: (no reason given)

I'm still concerned... I could agree with you if they were a day late.. or two.. maybe three.. but it's 5 going on 6 days now..

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
next week you say, sure hope we can get quick updates on this one (though I guess if we hear nothing, then perhaps something bad happened)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

Seriously do they just make this stuff up as they go along? - "find a really cool dark lake at the bottom of ocean... must conclude it to be 20 million of years old!" *sigh*...

Don't fall for that garbage people... Its pure government brainwashing. Use your own brain.

I agree the number is random and estimates range from 10 million to 20 million(big difference!) but are you saying that because you think the earth is only thousands of years old(Creationism) or because of the ice core data recorded prior to the "epic lake" statements? The lake isn't at the bottom of the ocean it's below a thick layer of polar ice. It's shores are land and if the polarity were different on earth then Antarctica would be a continent with multiple lakes as well as land. Antarctica houses ~70% of the worlds FRESH WATER in it's ice as well as it's lakes which didn't freeze beneath the ice. The thick ice just hides the past.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
perhaps the Russians have shut down communications as they reach the lake to ensure complete control of the information being released regarding their progress. Everyone is chomping at the bits to get in on this and I am sure Russia does not want share the glory what so ever so they are not accepting calls at the moment. Also assuming all goes to plan the samples of the lake the Russians pull out of the hole will be frozen when collected so no airborne viruses will be released. Remember No news is Good news.

The ruskies want to send an ROV down the hole after this and get pictures and collect sediment from the lake bed, that will be far more exciting imo

edit on 2-2-2012 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2012 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Hey, yeah! I just started rewatching the entire series, and that episode was eerily similar. It was in the first half of the first season. Great episode. Eerily ominous.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Black gold has been under the earth for a long time ,and there doesnt seem to be any problem drilling down and bringing it to surface ,no harm from that ,(except polluting everything it touches).
Some cold water and ice coming up from the past might be a nice change.

link   
fascinating stuff. haven't heard squat about this from msm.
kinda wonder about the gas/methane scenario; that could woosh out and kill everyone.
I believe the X-Files epi was called 'ice'
"It's still down there, Scully!"
"Let it stay there, Mulder!"

link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

It's not a lake at the bottom of the ocean.

It's a lake on land that's been trapped under an ice sheet for what they estimate is 20 million years.
As for the correct time frame. That's up for debate.

link   
Edgar Cayce mentioned events pertaining to the flooding of central USA. Perhaps, this drilling activity spurs the initial chain reaction. The onset of the polar thaw. (If you believe in E.C.'s visions)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
This is awesome, it's like going to a new world almost. 20 million years of seclusion from the outside world....I can only imagine what kind of creatures are going to be living down there. Hopefully it will be more than just some bacteria and little microscopic life forms, I want to see some crazy looking things!

ever hear of a scifi novel 'war with the newts'? think the author's name was Capek. they find an intelligent race of aquatic amphibs and...(see the title for what happens next)

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2-2-2012 by works4dhs because: add link

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ujustneverknow
Why can't we Humans just leave anything alone? I understand the importance of Science and all but seriously , why do we have to stick our noses in everything?

I hope it's worth it....I think it's a shame , 20 million years of being un-touched....

It is the nature of our species to explore the unknown for better or worse we have to know

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Actually, it might have been one of the movies? I'm not too sure now -- I remember one scene where a huge team is walking through the snow searching for something. They could be two separate scenarios though. Anyway, food for thought.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
Human beings seem to have some sort of sick compulsion forcing them to compromise,taint,ruin,contaminate,destroy, and annihalate anything and everything that dares to be pure and pristine in this world.

Seriously?

Why not just leave things be for once?!?!?

Even sicker, the NSA, yes the USA's NSA, has claimed the western region of the lake for their very own. Nobody's allowed near it. Apparently, they found an "anomaly" there. Now, what do they think an Antarctic anomaly could possibly have to do with our national security?

The NSA took it away from JPL, just took it. Now, that's scary.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

you guys didnt know everything is due to government brainwashing nowadays...

that was sarcasim by the way, i am actually very excited to hear what they find down on lake vostok, has anyone heard anything yet?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bladerunner44

Originally posted by ujustneverknow
Why can't we Humans just leave anything alone? I understand the importance of Science and all but seriously , why do we have to stick our noses in everything?

I hope it's worth it....I think it's a shame , 20 million years of being un-touched....

It is the nature of our species to explore the unknown for better or worse we have to know

It does seem like humans are arrogant scum and act like a virus. I personally think everything would be better off without us ever existing...including ourselves(save a lot of pain we cause other animals as well as ourselves). We are still killing eachother and fighting wars after thousands of years and horrible events resulting from them. We haven't learned anything from them nor have we changed. We act like we are so civilized yet groups in our genus still strive for power and destroy/cause others great pain & death to get it...how primitive. It really depends on how you define what you think is good and what is bad but that's my take.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is great I cant wait to see what they discover in this 200 million year old lake maybe find some awsome fossils. I am excited. It will probaly be a long time before they tell us what they discover because,they will want to check it all out first. Who knows when we will get to know whats in that lake! I do not know what gasses could be in the lake. I would guess that without cars and all the things that poullte our air now days. I would think the air would have been way better 200 millon years ago,but i really dont know.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Man I'm really happy that such an important discovery is being carried out by top-notch Russian scientists.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
reply to post by Chance321

Your fear is absolutely correct.

Why?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join