It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Antarctica: breakthrough imminent.

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by scobro

Like the one i have mentioned here in this post here

ie an Iridium one infact?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Yes! Exactly like that!
Glad to see you are thinking along the same lines as me!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Looks like they reached the lake on Sunday:

“Yesterday, our scientists stopped drilling at the depth of 3,768 meters and reached the surface of the sub-glacial lake,” the source said.

en.ria.ru...

Strangely, the article also discusses the Nazi secret antarctic base

Slideshow of Vostok Station and drilling:

en.rian.ru...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Thx for the news. stars.

Seems official!
This mean that they reached the Lake waterline.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Purely as i have been reading far fetched fiction, i am now wondering whether that Nazi base was searching for the perfect biological weapon - an airborne bacterium not seen before by humans, something pre historic?

But then again, maybe im being a crazy conspiracy head!

Definitely cool news though. I can't wait to find out what they discover about conditions in the lake.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Also RT Russia Today confirm the breakthrough in the "Breaking News" rt.com...

'Lost World' reached: 20 million yr old Antarctic lake 'drilled'

It took researches 30 years of drilling through a four-kilometer-thick ice to reach the renowned subglacial lake. Most importantly, million years-old secrets will be unveiled without causing harm to the lake’s ecosystem.

After 30 years spent drilling through a four-kilometer-thick ice crust, researchers have finally broken through to a unique subglacial lake. Scientists are set to reveal its 20-million-year-old secrets, and start a quest to discover ET life.

edit on 6-2-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Definitely cool news though. I can't wait to find out what they discover about conditions in the lake.

I'll put money on cold and wet.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by baskerville

Bet you are wrong then - it appears to be fairly warm for a lake under 4 1/2 km of ice.

In fact the only bit you are correct with is wet!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

You know me and my way of thinking.
Why is it that i feel that this thread here is connected to the events in your thread and mine? I am going to throw a post to my thread soon. I will message you important links.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Fox News confirms that they have reached the lake now too, and also refers to the previous lost contact.
Source: Fox News - Russian scientists reach buried Antarctic Lake Vostok

A group of Russian scientists in Antarctica has succeeded in drilling to a lake buried two miles beneath the icy landmass, Russian news service Ria Novosti reported -- following a week of radio silence from the team that had some scratching their heads.

“Yesterday, our scientists stopped drilling at the depth of 3,768 meters and reached the surface of the sub-glacial lake,” the source reportedly said in a story posted Monday, Feb. 6.

The Fox News story also adds some additional info about how the Russians hope to avoid contaminating Lake Vostok:

The scientists came up with a clever way to make sure the water would not be contaminated: They agreed to drill until a sensor warned them of free water. At that point they took out the kerosene and adjusted the pressure so that none of the liquids would fall into the lake, but rather lake water would rise through the hole due to pressure from below.

Somewhere I previously read that they plan to let some of the lake water rise through the drilling hole and freeze, then they will come back in December and take core samples for analysis of the frozen lake water.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

The hole is how deep? it would of took ages to ensure no contamination would occur? just saying

2nd

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see the finds. Also Earth observers should pay attention to the atmosphere-quakes-sea chemical changes Earth magnetic field disruptions and sea life behavior just to see if there are any effects from it being opened and from the exposure of the magnetic energy from within it. 2012 seems to be starting a interesting year off. The probe images 1 hopes can be released publically if not released then........
edit on 2/6/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
There's land under that ice and where there's land there could be structures.

That is what I believe, everyone and their mother is trying to be the first one to formally "discover" a new world. Similar to how every country flocked to the "americas" once it was established there was wealth to be found here. Each nation planting themselves in a different place to try and claim their stake.

Who knows what lies beneath the timeless frozen ice sheet....I just hope H.P. Lovecraft wasn't right....The Old Ones would be proud indeed

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

The hole is how deep? it would of took ages to ensure no contamination would occur? just saying

3,768 meters... Here is some more info on the plan:

The Antarctic Treaty Secretariat, the body set up to preserve the continent, has approved the comprehensive environmental evaluation carried out to ensure the reservoir is not polluted...

The AARI's [Russia's Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute] Valery Lukin says they have devised a clever method for sampling the lake without contaminating it. "Once the lake is reached, the water pressure will push the working body and the drilling fluid upwards in the borehole, and then freeze again," Lukin says. The following season, the team will go back to bore in that frozen water, take the sample out and analyse its contents.

Source: New Scientist

Of course that's year-old info. I don't know if there were any changes in that plan. But the idea is that the lake is under higher pressure than exists in the drill hole, so water should be forced up the drill hole and will then freeze. The pressure difference and refreezing should, theoretically at least, prevent contaminants from flowing down into the lake.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

Is it a certainty that the ice ends where it should? How do we know that there isnt a mass of space above the lake where its actually open space and that the ice hasnt effectively contained an environment thats not solely based within the waters? Just asking and cheers for the link.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Purely as i have been reading far fetched fiction, i am now wondering whether that Nazi base was searching for the perfect biological weapon - an airborne bacterium not seen before by humans, something pre historic?

But then again, maybe im being a crazy conspiracy head!

There was an X-Flies episode many many years ago in which loggers cut into trees which were hundreds if not thousands of years old releasing some bugs which proceeded to kill human beings, but only during the night.

PEOPLE, keep your lights on while sleeping !

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join