It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Antarctica: breakthrough imminent.

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Hi Arken and all,

Oddly enuff, I just watched The Day After Tomorrow in which an artic shelf cracks off and causes all manner of disastrous weather results on Earth...this is scary stuff.
Why can we not let what has been covered stay that way? Why do we as a race need to plunge, drill, pillage and poke into every d**m hole we can?
What if the pressure upon breakthrough does indeed cause an explosive release into the atmosphere? Do we know what has rested below Antarctia for hundreds of thousands or millions of years? Why can we not leave well enough alone???

Sometimes I am just amazed at the sheer stupidity of man.
No offense. Just sayin'.

Namaste.
GI

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

Originally posted by Illustronic

How old do you think some of the oil reserves we tap and use everyday are?

Is there life in the oil that doesn't exist anywhere on the planet, and hasn't existed anywhere else for millions of years? Ask yourself that question and then you should be able to answer your own.

wrong life was found there too.

"he concluded that there must be populations of these bacteria living in the underground oil reserves, degrading the organic components of oil as a carbon source, and reducing sulfur compounds for energy."

"Perhaps the most incredible thing about the microbes found in the deep subsurface, is that the majority of the populations can thrive indefinitely without any input from the earth's surface[1]. That being said, they are effectively 100% disconnected from the rest of life as we know it."
microbewiki.kenyon.edu...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wulff

Originally posted by Illustronic
I'm not really 'cheering them on' in their attempts to breach what may be millions of years old with life in there. I'm also not going to interject some notion that bacteria released from such breach could cause a pandemic. Who really cares if they contaminate that underground water? It's not like a vacation spot. I'm also not against any inquisitive new science discovery. I just want to say one thing.

How old do you think some of the oil reserves we tap and use everyday are?

Your sense of science and earth is really messed up! Just because you can't vacation' there you don't care if they destroy it?
Also, pumping oil out of the ground can't even begin to compare to finding a lake.... oil wells doesn't harbor possible life!

yes they do...oil has life forms...
microbewiki.kenyon.edu...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmonix
Ahhh never mind, I just read the above post that said the Scientists were "not lost or out of contact"... Got to love Internets rumor mills....
edit on 4-2-2012 by Dmonix because: (no reason given)

Humm IF they were lost as the Fox news reporters were clearly first told...would the Russians deny it? Yes!

the report now is that the Fox news got it wrong and the people who said it American Scientists did not say it...I doubt that myself.

the thing is though that all science is done in secret, we never hear news about results of anything for years, they covet their power over the public, they are the Gods the Scientists...they perceive this as THEIR information and will share when they feel like it!
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Article updated: 2/4/2012 7:25 PM

Priscu said Russian scientists on the scene e-mailed him last week to say they had stopped drilling about 40 feet from the expected waterline to measure the pressure levels deep below. Priscu said he expected that they were also sending down a special “hot water” drill to make the final push, but a message from the Russian team this week reported “no news.”

www.dailyherald.com...

doesn't say what day "this week" that message was sent.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
They should just be patient and use a cleaner form of drilling as not to contaminate! Eager Russians.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Only 15 meters in January?

news.sciencemag.org...

Microbiologist John Priscu of Montana State University in Bozeman, who was one of the original planners of the Vostok mission, has been getting regular updates from the Russian team. As of 13 January, they had reached a depth of 3737.5 meters, about 15 meters away from liquid water. With three teams drilling around the clock and making progress at an average of 2 meters per day, Priscu says they're on track to break through within the week. "This is an epic event. I really wish them luck," he says. "I wish I was out there with them."

What happen down there?

.... "2 meters per day"......

Something don't match!

edit on 5-2-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

They don't want to cause unneeded cracks by going too fast, and with the extreme cold, and drilling through meters of solid ice is going to be hard work on the equipment.

If it breaks you better have someone there to fix it, or the right piece, otherwise may be a while before you can get it fixed, thus slow and steady is the way to go.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
Only 15 meters in January?

news.sciencemag.org...

Microbiologist John Priscu of Montana State University in Bozeman, who was one of the original planners of the Vostok mission, has been getting regular updates from the Russian team. As of 13 January, they had reached a depth of 3737.5 meters, about 15 meters away from liquid water. With three teams drilling around the clock and making progress at an average of 2 meters per day, Priscu says they're on track to break through within the week. "This is an epic event. I really wish them luck," he says. "I wish I was out there with them."

What happen down there?

.... "2 meters per day"......

Something don't match!

edit on 5-2-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

Maybe they're just being careful, I'd be more suspicious if they rushed it.

At such an important point, mistakes cannot be made.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I have been following this thread for a few days and there is some concern for the scientists as they have been out of contact for seven days now. Apparently they have only a few days to their weather window.

The scientific community is holding its breath for a team of Russian scientists that has not made contact with colleagues in the U.S for seven days, as they drill into a lake buried beneath the Antarctic ice for 20 million years. The group has to evacuate its station by Tuesday - when winter kicks in and temperatures start to drop to an inhospitable minus 90C. There has been no contact with the explorers for seven days and they have under 48 hours to make an escape from the icy depths before temperatures fall to deadly levels. There are fears that while hunting for new life forms they have been lost in the unwelcoming terrain. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... i

Article

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Just hope the US / Russian Gov. has the balls to share it with the world.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Magnetic anomally would refer to something caused by ferrous deposits (Iron or steel) , structure, or artifact.

If Wiki is correct about Iron deposits, my hunch is right. In our experience, it probably doesnt belong there, thus the government interest.
Wiki: "Iron-rich sedimentary rocks have economic uses as iron ores. Iron deposits are located on all major continents with the exception of Antarctica".

Logic tells us it is not a alien space craft. It would not be built of heavy materials, if indeed there are such craft.

High levels of Oxygen would cause steel or iron to degrade rapidly, although Nitrogen may inhibit this action.
The Early Iron Age was around 1200 - 1000 BCE
The Iron Age II was around 1000 - 586 BCE Egypt: Beginning of iron production

Iron is a very common element and iron ores occur in the mountainous areas of the eastern desert and Sinai, though high grade ores are rare
In antiquity, casting was not achieved anywhere but in China. The required temperature of 1530°C was not reached in western Eurasia until the Middle Ages. All other metals used by the Egyptians either had a low melting point and/or could be worked cold.
According to the written records the first smelted iron reached Egypt from Tinay, an unknown country probably in western Asia.
This being the only mention of iron in 18th dynasty documents, one may assume that iron was still fairly rare in western Asia at the time. The papyrus Harris, a very extensive and detailed inventory of items donated to temples by Ramses III, mentions iron just once, in a listing of Nile god statues made of various metals: Iron, a statue of the Nile god, nusa.

What might that leave us with? Possibly something meteoric.

My First post on ATS. Greetings, my Friends!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by visitedbythem
Magnetic anomally would refer to something caused by ferrous deposits (Iron or steel) , structure, or artifact.

If Wiki is correct about Iron deposits, my hunch is right. In our experience, it probably doesnt belong there, thus the government interest.
Wiki: "Iron-rich sedimentary rocks have economic uses as iron ores. Iron deposits are located on all major continents with the exception of Antarctica".

Logic tells us it is not a alien space craft. It would not be built of heavy materials, if indeed there are such craft.

High levels of Oxygen would cause steel or iron to degrade rapidly, although Nitrogen may inhibit this action.
The Early Iron Age was around 1200 - 1000 BCE
The Iron Age II was around 1000 - 586 BCE Egypt: Beginning of iron production

Iron is a very common element and iron ores occur in the mountainous areas of the eastern desert and Sinai, though high grade ores are rare
In antiquity, casting was not achieved anywhere but in China. The required temperature of 1530°C was not reached in western Eurasia until the Middle Ages. All other metals used by the Egyptians either had a low melting point and/or could be worked cold.
According to the written records the first smelted iron reached Egypt from Tinay, an unknown country probably in western Asia.
This being the only mention of iron in 18th dynasty documents, one may assume that iron was still fairly rare in western Asia at the time. The papyrus Harris, a very extensive and detailed inventory of items donated to temples by Ramses III, mentions iron just once, in a listing of Nile god statues made of various metals: Iron, a statue of the Nile god, nusa.

What might that leave us with? Possibly something meteoric.

My First post on ATS. Greetings, my Friends!

Marvelous first post, visitedbythem!! And welcome!

Regarding my further comments on the matter at hand.. I believe there will be news of it, before Wednesday. Why then, you ask? Just trust me on this. I know something you all don't

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by weavty1

What do you know then?

Spill the beans.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Wednesday is a major timewave zero date! a turning date similar to the japan quake!

Is this what you are referring to? I don't see how this could be effected by the antarctic drilling though.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Something that i certainly didnt realize was the sheer size of the lake that remains below the ice. Here is an image that will put it into perspective. I know that you may be well aware but this is for those like me who didnt.

I would also like to add this link Raiders Of The Lost Lake which is dated as 6 August 2007.
Now if you care to read the link and look at the image here which i would like to mention the area marked as a slightly darker shade of blue above the lake.

That said i would like to ask if it is possible that the particular area is actually, air. An area of the ice that had perhaps melted?

The environment is remarkably similar to the dark and cold ocean below the surface of Jupiter’s ice moon Europa, so the discovery of life in Vostok could have interesting extraterrestrial implications.
That said, many of us which think there could be some sort of disclosure couldnt come at a better time for those wanting to come clean about what they know? This would be a fitting scenario in order to disclose.

Another very important piece to all of this is The Cryobot

Now where is the footage from this or a similar instrument that if i am right in assuming would have most definitely been used in the circumstances.

At present,(2007) a number of researchers are mulling over methods to investigate the lake’s unique ecosystem without defiling its pristine nature. The introduction of any organisms or chemicals from the surface could irreversibly pollute its waters, and there is a small but real possibility that the lake’s alien organisms could be dangerous to humans. To date, the best candidate seems to be the cryobot, a fittingly phallic penetrating probe designed to gingerly work its way into the virgin lake. Its heated tip would melt a channel straight into the ice as it unspools a power and communications line behind it. The melted water would quickly re-freeze behind the cryobot in temperatures which linger around minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and once it finally reached the water it would eject a small submersible hydrobot to capture images and take measurements.

That also been said you and i are well aware how far technology has come even in the last couple of years.

Its heated tip would melt a channel straight into the ice as it unspools a power and communications line behind it. The melted water would quickly re-freeze behind the cryobot
Sound familiar rev?

Another important piece that i found contained in this piece is

Though most scientists are proceeding with considerable caution, and some advocate avoiding the lake altogether, there are reports that the Russian researchers intend to restart drilling in order to reach the lake before their rivals.
Now considering the fact that the Russians, Americans, French and British are involved then who is/are the rivals and why would someone be classed as a rival considering rival means

1. a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor. 2. a person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority: a stadium without a rival. 3. Obsolete . a companion in duty.

Judging by this piece would lead me to think there is currently a free for all, in the who gets there first wins scenario and believe that they just may possibly cut corners in order to be first. What say you?

The Antarctic Treaty of 1961 guarantees all nations the right to conduct non-military scientific study on the continent, therefore little can be done to intervene if the men at Vostok station insist upon proceeding.

This last piece is what concerns me the most in relation to their 20 year focus on the area. 20 years leads me to believe they know exactly what they are looking for, well perhaps maybe not looking for as they have found it, perhaps trying to retrieve may be a more fitting term.

geologists speculate many of these are linked by a network of under-ice rivers, so contaminating just one lake might taint them all beyond repair.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
In relation to my post above here Raiders Of the lost Lake

I would be very interested to see any information from the Cryobot or similar instruments.
Here is the link for the NASA article on the Cryobot

Here is the Flash animation of the lakes environment

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
It's little like the Quantum Physics dilemma then: The scientists change what they observe by the act of observing it.

Be nice if the efforts to avoid this in the macrocosm, as they develop tools to reach the lake without contamination, could teach us something about how to achieve this in the microcosm of quantum mechanics - at least in principle.

Regarding the mysterious source of the water: Could it not be a sea-water lake, like Scotland's Loch Ness? Or would radar have spotted it's source if this were the case?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
What if the large magnetic anomaly,said to be a one end of the lake,is infact a huge iron meteorite,and the actual lake is the huge gouge in the surface left by such an impact?

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join