It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Radiation Blamed for Phobos-Grunt Crash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

en.rian.ru

Space radiation triggered a glitch in the on-board computer system causing the recent crash of Russia’s Mars probe, Federal Space Agency head Vladimir Popovkin said on Tuesday.

A government commission has ruled out any “external or foreign influence” on the spacecraft, including alleged electromagnetic emission from a U.S. radar in the Pacific Ocean.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Russia to Test if U.S. Radar Downed Phobos Probe
Russian space agency chief says: "Foreign forces are sabotaging Russia's space program!"
Russia accuses US of secret Mars Plot

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Here it is from the horse's mouth, as it were. There have been several threads here on ATS that have speculated that the United States somehow "sabotaged" the Russian space probe. Others have speculated that it was the result of poor quality control on the part of the Russian space agency. Whether or not this latter is the case, this press release from RIA-Novosti should settle the first set of speculations. The initial allegation that the probe was interfered with by the US has been officially withdrawn. It was probably just made as a "face saving" attempt in the first place.

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-2-2012 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Phobos is off limits.

They should have known better.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

A Diplomatic move by Russia, i am sure. Even if they found evidence of U.S involvement, it would not be a wise time to accuse them in public of shooting down their satellite, as that could be seen as an act of war, considering the current tensions in Syria/Iran between the two countries.

The Truth? Sometimes it is best kept in the dark.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
lol

1) bad communications

2) software glitch

3) hanky panky from the u.s

4) space radiation

whats next russia

5) global warming

6) haarp

7) iran

8) swamp gas

Man i wish i could meet some of these russian , and slap their news release papers upside there head.

The truth of the matter is you russians cut to many corners , and don't pay enough attention to safety , and back up plans.

no if and's or butt's.

They rush these projects , and this is the byproduct.

Your problem russia is you make to many excuses like the u.s , and don't own up to your faulty , primitive , rushed , incompetant , space projects.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

A Diplomatic move by Russia, i am sure. Even if they found evidence of U.S involvement, it would not be a wise time to accuse them in public of shooting down their satellite, as that could be seen as an act of war, considering the current tensions in Syria/Iran between the two countries.

It would be an act of war. Are you saying that the Russians are afraid of a fight? What would Brasov say? In any event, there would be no reason not to file a civil case in a court of law, claiming "accidental" interference and suing for damages.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I wonder if they could have hit it with HAARP.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think if you go back and look at the launch dates there was a combined solar storm as well as An EMP hitting during the launch.

Somthing they have been warning about for a very long time with electronics being affected. More so since the circuits have become much smaller and use far less current. This makes them easier to disturb in operation.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsthetooth
reply to post by DJW001

I wonder if they could have hit it with HAARP.

No. HAARP is busy preventing kinks in the jet stream.

It's working very well this year.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

I think if you go back and look at the launch dates there was a combined solar storm as well as An EMP hitting during the launch.

A CME did strike a glancing blow on November 10-11. The launch was on the 8th or 9th, depending on time zone. That may not have been the primary cause, but it may have complicated recovery. Well spotted.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Not much at all going on in the satellite environment plots.

Possibly a cosmic ray strike but I think it's pretty unlikely that would be it. Any spacecraft designed for interplanetary travel should be well hardened against such things.

Another possible cause could have been defective microchips imported from abroad, he said.

en.rian.ru...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The problem was actually a reboot of two systems, which they seem to "guess" could be due to space radiation... but i agree that seems highly unlikely.

Some more likely scenarios;

1. They used Microsoft Windows OS.

2. Phobos-Grunt was hit by EMP weapon, causing the reboot.
3. Bad soldering causing a short circuit/power interruption.

We must also consider circumstantial evidence such as this.

According to NASA, Russia has failed in all 17 of its attempts to study the Red Planet close-up since 1960. The most recent failure before November 2011 occurred in 1996, when Russia lost its Mars-96 orbiter during launch.

Wow 17 failures in a row, now that can´t all be just "bad luck" can it?

edit on 1-2-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Here's another link for Cosmic Rays being the culprit. Maybe they didn't test the computer systems enough or harden them enough.

Some interesting quotes from the link:

"The most likely reason in the commission's opinion is the local influence of heavy charged particles from outer space on the onboard computer system," Roscosmos chief Vladimir Popovkin said, quoted by RIA Novosti news agency.

Cosmic rays apparently led the onboard computer system to experience memory problems after launch which led to parts of the system restarting and going into energy-saving mode, the Roscosmos chief said.

Made in China:

He also blamed sub-standard or fake foreign-made microchips used in the probe, saying more than 60 percent were not designed for use in space.

My favorite quote:

Staff at the rocket-building plant had been punished for non-criminal offenses, he said.

I hear Siberia is nice this time of year

www.marsdaily.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Would this be the same "Space Radiation" that Apollo Astronots flew through without harm?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The US don't have Space Flight crew capsules anymore so the best we can do now is be a ground based bully and sabatoge other places (nations) that are working to evolve our race? Pathetic I hope not true. Keeping things in the dark is compatible with evil.
edit on 1-2-2012 by MarkScheppy because: add

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Would this be the same "Space Radiation" that Apollo Astronots flew through without harm?

Yes, in well built American craft with triple redundancy features.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkScheppy

The US don't have Space Flight crew capsules anymore so the best we can do now is be a ground based bully and sabatoge other places (nations) that are working to evolve our race? Pathetic I hope not true. Keeping things in the dark is compatible with evil.

What do you mean "we," Paleface? The United States I live in has been co-operating in space with other nations for over 30 years. In fact, we are now (temporarily) dependent on Russia for some of our crucial space capacity. It makes no sense to sabotage them.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by zorgon

Yes, in well built American craft with triple redundancy features.

Yes, apparently the extraordinary Americans built better spacecraft back in 1969 than those dirty Russians do in 2012. 43 years of technological advances apparently means nothing to the Russians. Or maybe they de-volve, instead of e-volve? That is what you are saying right?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Yes, apparently the extraordinary Americans built better spacecraft back in 1969 than those dirty Russians do in 2012. 43 years of technological advances apparently means nothing to the Russians. Or maybe they de-volve, instead of e-volve? That is what you are saying right?

I was returning a playful jab for a playful jab. The phrase "triple redundancy" is extremely relevant, however. Automated probes tend to have fewer backup systems because no lives are on the line.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

NO.

The article is about the electronics on a robotic spacecraft....with NO Human ability, on-board, to intervene and correct any anomalies. Has nothing at all to do with how a Human body can withstand brief doses, even in the VABs.

Astonishing, though, that in the year 2012 the same nonsense allegations about Apollo are being dropped with innuendo and inflammatory words like "Astronots".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join