It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina accused of plotting Falklands blockade

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

squabbling over barren islands with a population of less than 3,000 people with a crappy climate in the middle of nowhere.

Very productive.
WRONG

The Falkland Islands have the highest standard of living in South America.

Their fishing alone brings in a lot of money

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 1-2-2012 by mackey1224uk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by mr-lizard

Woah calm down calm down. I forgot, question anything to do with Britain and the Brits jump you.

Falkland Islands economy revolves around fishing.. most crops don't grow in the cold wet climate do they? Just grassy islands. And tourism, though who would want to go there I don't know.. The UK spends more protecting the islands than the islands entire economic output.

Just seems weird, to me anyways.. that anyone, be it brits or argentines would squabble for so long over such islands.

EDIT: Granted I did not know of the oil exploration, that obviously would change things if it was a viable source.
edit on 2/1/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

*The UK spends more protecting the islands than the islands entire economic output* Could we have a source an not your word. Also you mentioned the islands entire economic output. Could you give us facts and figures please.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The people who were born there, are the true Falklanders, and anyone they think belongs to their ranks ie immigrants
Other than that how many Arggies live and were born there?
These people already chose britain.
Theres nothing more to be said....Well back this decision to the hilt, not only Britain herself, but id bet the Commonwealth would be glad to help her out again should she call......
What i do not understand is that they should have thousands of anti aircraft, and anti tank weapons, as well as Anti ship missiles of a few hundred mile range(like the Yakhonts or sunburns)
The island could be held with a hundred troops and a good supply of these.....
Oh and of course those TYCOONS may come in handy too

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Hi! Long time reader (YEARS!) and second time poster.

Sorry if my English is bad or something, is not my first language so I hope all of you can bear with me.

First of all I'm from Argentina, so I want to explain a thing or two about the "possible" war with the UK for the Malvinas islands.

Somebody says that all the young people doesn't care about the islands, that's right! I mean, we care about our vets and how some lunatic and alcoholic dictator (Leopoldo Galtieri) send lots of young guys to die in a #*ng war for a piece of rocks, but we don't care about the islands. The economic (and political) situation in Argentina is really bad, lots of corruption from everywhere, the price of the basic things are in the sky, lots and lots of burglaries, killings (somebody can kill you for anything, from a pair of shoes to a cellphone), etc. And the people is not happy because our president is some assh*le who thinks that she is a Queen, saying in press conference that everything is ok and all the things that happen in the country are an invention from a news holdings named "Clarín", that the prices aren't up, and that the people don't die on the streets.

Anyways, she always compares herself and his defunct husband (Nestor Kirchner, one of the most corrupt politicians that our country had along with Carlos Menem in second) with Evita and Perón (respectively), so if she can give back the Malvinas to Argentina her political image will catapult to the sky and beyond and will surpass that of Evita and Perón. That is what she really want, she can give a flying f*ck for a piece of rock really, I mean, we can't maintain our country, some people doesn't even have WATER in their homes or ELECTRICITY!! She just want the islands to say "I was the one who can! In 27 years I was the one that give back the Malvinas to the people!", EVERY president from 1982 tried to give the islands back, and in her mind she thinks that she is the one who can do it, all for power and nothing more but she is not stupid! for that reason she elected the diplomatic way and not the direct conflict, a conflict can bring down her imagen to match that of Leopoldo Galtieri.

So believe me, the war is not going to happen, the people here have worst thing to worry and the youngs are not going to fight a useless war to protect a ROCK and our Queen of the Underdevelopment Ms. Cristina Fernandez.

Again sorry for my English!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
If I am not mistaken considerable oil reserves were recently found in Falkland territorial waters. The conservative government currently in power surely wouldn't mind to take the pressure off their domestic failings (just like the right wing junta in the 80's didn't mind) by escalating tensions between Britain. The answer to this problem is simple, just as another member stated. Have a referendum in the Falklands so the people can decide for themselves.

I am sure the people of the Falklands would decide they want Britain to rule, given the majority in the Falklands are of Anglo-Saxon heritage and polls show they prefer British rule. However watching a few documentaries on the current crisis showed me that alot of the residents seem to be bigoted and have a xenophobic hate for argentina.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
The government of Cristina Fernández de Kirchner has publicly threatened to cut the weekly route between Punta Arenas and Port Stanley, the islands' only air link with South America and its main link with the outside world.

How can Argentina block anything in CHILE...or is Chile choosing sides now.
If it is so, and Chile is part and parcel of this plot, then the next time theres a huge #ing earthquake and 5000 are under rubble, i sincerely hope i DON'T see British firemen and sniffer dogs looking for them.
Argentina smell's black gold, and is using the "somos todos latinos y los gringos que se joden, hijos de putas" card (which means , "we are all latinos, and as for the British, # them, sons of whores).
What's Argentina promising Chile for this...??
edit on 1-2-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
There was an interesting article in the Guardian about a week ago that said that young Argentineans don't care about the Falklands, especially those that have been there and seen how British the place is. What makes me wonder is how many Argentineans actually believe that the plucky tango-crazy people of the Falklands are yearning for a return to Argentinean rule?

"return"? What return, the Argentinians have never ruled the occupants of the Falklands EVER. That is what is so stupid about the claim. The predecessor to Argentina (River Plate) occupied the islands for a few years when the British had buggered off to fight a war with the US........and we know how long ago that was!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
The people who were born there, are the true Falklanders, and anyone they think belongs to their ranks ie immigrants
Other than that how many Arggies live and were born there?
These people already chose britain.
Theres nothing more to be said....Well back this decision to the hilt, not only Britain herself, but id bet the Commonwealth would be glad to help her out again should she call......
What i do not understand is that they should have thousands of anti aircraft, and anti tank weapons, as well as Anti ship missiles of a few hundred mile range(like the Yakhonts or sunburns)
The island could be held with a hundred troops and a good supply of these.....
Oh and of course those TYCOONS may come in handy too

You don't get it. One Red Coat in the Western hemisphere is a Declaration of War against all nations of the western hemisphere. Reagen was a traitor for not nuking the UK, and should of been hanged for treason for willfully ignoring the Monroe Doctrine.

The nations of Europe have no business in the Western hemisphere.

Britain may be able to stave off Latin America militarily today, but it cannot survive long term economic warfare. And it most certainly cannot survive long term military hostility. As Britain falls behind and settles into it's role as a quaint tourist attraction.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972
Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
The government of Cristina Fernández de Kirchner has publicly threatened to cut the weekly route between Punta Arenas and Port Stanley, the islands' only air link with South America and its main link with the outside world.

How can Argentina block anything in CHILE...or is Chile choosing sides now.
If it is so, and Chile is part and parcel of this plot, then the next time theres a huge #ing earthquake and 5000 are under rubble, i sincerely hope i DON'T see British firemen and sniffer dogs looking for them.
Argentina smell's black gold, and is using the "somos todos latinos y los gringos que se joden, hijos de putas" card (which means , "we are all latinos, and as for the British, # them, sons of whores).
What's Argentina promising Chile for this...??
edit on 1-2-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

Ahh another Arrogant European. Britian donated less than 1 million USD to help Chile(50,000 USD in Cash aid, and a few water engineer teams). While Argentina sent dozens of field hospitals and 1,800 tons of food to aid Chile. As well as 4 water purification plants and 4 electric power generators.

Heck the Cubans did more to help Chile then all the Nations of Europe combined(initially I believe, the nations of Europe decided to hold committees while the real Nations of the Earth went about trying to help).

The USA for it's part gave Chile(not sure if it was a loan or a gift) several C-130 Cargo Planes(Each valued at about 63 million USD) for use in transporting supplies and evacuating refugees.

Britain has no real political capital in Latin America. And in fact Brazil blocking the British from exploiting the natural resources of those islands only benefits Brazil(and other oil exporting nations).

This could get big, and give Latin America an excuse to form their own kind of Political/Economic/Military Union.

As history show's, the British have a knack for causing people who really don't care for each other to unify against British aggression.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

So we should class all those US installations in our country as occupation forces and kick them out accordingly then?
Maybe you would like to get your backsides out of Diego Garcia while your at it as well then.
The UK isn't the only fading power either...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The liberation of Falklands,Scotland and Ireland from English oppression is at hand.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

excellent post brother.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
There's an important principle here. The right to self determination.

The British Government says that the people in those islands have the absolute right to determine their own fate & that Britain won't object if the Falkland Islands vote to become Argentinian. That same principle extends to Gibraltar (Spain) & Northern Ireland (Rep. of Ireland.)

Curiously, it's a principle they won't extend to Scotland in any shape or form whatever.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

As a resident of Northern Ireland I have never once in over 30 years experienced any 'English Oppression'. I HAVE experienced Irish Republican hatred, like the time they planted a bomb in our school playground because our school accepted people of ALL religions. The same terrorists who are harboured and funded by a certain foreign power whose ill educated population often confuse their heritage with.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

In relation to the Falklands.....We have already been there and done that. What was gained was truly outweighed by the loss of life. Oil yet again. I find it interesting how the ones quick enough to send troops to war are the very same people that lie tucked up in their beds. Military on all sides should refuse to take any part in this bs and also the other conflicts going on. Name me one war that isnt for the benefit of those set to profit. When you do i will remove this post.

You may want to read this post here because when the elites have their final piece in place the picture will be clear. For those of you that dont want to click on the link i will sum it up.

We are not the only pawns in their game, the military is too. However they need the military to get rid of any opposition, not our opposition but theirs, tptb. When they have used the military for what they need, until they have another means of control in place, then they will get rid of the military. The easiest way to do this would be to have all of your eggs in one basket. (all military in one place)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
funny how we keep hearing that the monroe declaration is somehow going to free the america's from colonial presence when it was never its intention, its intention was to halt expansion from the european's not to reverse it, so if it was british it stays british

We owe it, therefore, to candor and to the amicable relations existing between the United States and those powers to declare that we should consider any attempt on their part to extend their system to any portion of this hemisphere as dangerous to our peace and safety. With the existing colonies or dependencies of any European power we have not interfered and shall not interfere. But with the Governments who have declared their independence and maintained it, and whose independence we have, on great consideration and on just principles, acknowledged, we could not view any interposition for the purpose of oppressing them, or controlling in any other manner their destiny, by any European power in any other light than as the manifestation of an unfriendly disposition toward the United States.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Not really, under the terms and articles of the UN if it goes on long enough it could be construed as economic warfare. This would given Britain the legal green light to pursue whatever course of action it so required. It is actually yet another stupid, ill advised and ill considered move by Kirchner, so not really a surprise!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
It is a simple case of self determination - the UN upholds this in Darfur, Kosovo, East Timor, etc so why should the Falklands be any different?

Despite the fact we could destroy Argentina, we should not go down this route. We should play them at their own game instead. They want to play economic games? Ok, for starters, Barclays should call in the debts and watch Argentina crumble. Again.

Kirchner really hasn't thought it through.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

As the tridents are made in USA,you will need our permission to launch the tridents,else we could reprogram the Trident IFF codes to target London .

We americans would like to have falklands for ourselves.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloud_Striffe

Hi Cloudstrife,

Thanks for joining in. As a Brit, i fully accept that we aren't the most rational of people when it comes to discussing things that impact on us! It is refreshing to actually see a view from inside Argentina rather than the usual collection of anti english people who post on topics like this.

I also definitely would not want conflict. I have also said before that nothing will happen regarding the Falklands, it is a simple case of sabre rattling from Kirchner for domestic support. And then i jump in defending the UK! (see first bit of this post!
).

Out of interest, is it well known in Argentina that Britain offered a 50/50 split on oil profits from the Falklands and that Kirchner refused this? I would imagine that was one bit of Falklands related news she didn't wish to share with the population but i have no idea whether she did or not?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join