It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is so cold everywhere in the world! Are we experiencing a small Ice Age?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
This has been the warmest Winter I've ever experienced in all my years living in the North East U.S. (Baltimore and now New York). I think we've had maybe 5 or 6 truly cold days all winter here in NYC, and just a scattering of flurries on a few days. No outright snows yet and now we're into March. I don't think there will be a real snow at all this year.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
It is my understanding that we have been in an ice age because we still have ice sheets in the Antarctic and Greenland??

Maybe it is coming to an end. Possibly as the ice sheets melt we see the accumulation of greenhouse gases and CO2 produced by Volcanoes. There are a number of them rumbling now.

The atmosphere is definitely changing. Either we are ending an ice age or we are on the verge of a HUGE one.

I dunno.

We've been an ice age for the last 30 million years or so. Antarctica will not melt until it moves off the pole via continental drift. And even if it went into full meltdown right this minute, it would take 300,000 years to melt it all. The average winter temperature at the South Pole is minus 49 F. That is 81 degrees below freezing. So even if the average temperature went up 5 degrees, the ice isn't going anywhere any time soon.

We're in an interglacial, but some scientists say we're still coming out of the last one.

Just because it's cold doesn't mean it's The Ice Age Cometh, any more than heat in July means we're going to incinerate due to global warming.

Given a choice between the two, though, I'll take global warming any day. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about.
edit on 3/1/2012 by HappyBunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
As I see now in all the others threads the weather has gone mad....well what to see.

Ice Age is really here!

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

March 3, 2012 – ISRAEL – Heavy snow fell in the Jerusalem area on Friday, and for the first time in four years, parts of Jerusalem were white with snow. Snow fell in Ramot, Givat Ze’ev and Har Gilo, and three centimeters of snow fall were reported.

The Jerusalem municipality, which had prepared for the weather conditions in recent days, was due to clear snow from the streets of Jerusalem on Friday.

Snow also fell in the Golan Heights in the early hours of Friday morning, and classes were canceled in the Golan and in the area around Safad because of the weather.

Safad area residents were also asked not to drive by the municipality, and there was no public transport in the area. Cold and stormy weather swept through Israel since Tuesday, and Friday was expected to be the coldest day of the year.
source(theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Although Global Warming can induce an Ice Age....we are NOT IN ONE! Global temps. are so high on average there will not be any Sea Ice covering the Arctic within 10 Years....the U.S. Military even agrees with this as they are planning new strategies to new shipping lanes and drilling platforms where there was once heavy ice.
Split Infinity

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

..we are NOT IN ONE
Yes Split,not literally but from year to year seasons compress.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

..we are NOT IN ONE
Yes Split,not literally but from year to year seasons compress.

The Earth Wobble is usually the factor that creates a Major Iceage every so many Millenia....this has been recorded in the Ice Core Samples as well as Mini-Iceages brought on by Volcanic Eruptions that have blocked a good portion of the Suns rays to penetrate a particle filled atmosphere...thus...a small term Ice Age.

What is going on now is a problem...too much CO2 in the Atmosphere is heating up the globe and this is causing Frozen Methane in Northern Lakes to evaporate and bubble up. Methane is a much greater effecting problem on Heating Up of the Earth. This has happened before....but never this quick. Split Infinity

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
What??????

I'm laughing at the OP because Michigan has the warmest winter with the least amount of snow we've ever experienced, going back over 150 years.

Climate change is occurring. The question is: Is it man made or is it because of an active sun cycle and/or other natural phenomena?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

What is going on now is a problem...too much CO2 in the Atmosphere is heating up the globe and this is causing Frozen Methane in Northern Lakes to evaporate and bubble up
Can be a complex of factors far more than we imagined and which are related but whose effects we can not determine as the relationship between the action on one another.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

What is going on now is a problem...too much CO2 in the Atmosphere is heating up the globe and this is causing Frozen Methane in Northern Lakes to evaporate and bubble up
Can be a complex of factors far more than we imagined and which are related but whose effects we can not determine as the relationship between the action on one another.

One of the most confusing statements I've ever read.

Can you clarify what you are trying to say?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NowIsThe

Sorry too much to explain.Read the threads related to subject and you will understand.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The weather has changed here in New Mexico the past few years, it's cold for march. Last night about 7pm the thermometer was 28 degrees in the Rio Grande Valley, the wind blowing hard. Right now it's 32 degrees, tomorrows forecast 67 degrees. This is just to strange for NM . Last year mid February -3 degrees. One strange event this weeks was it started snowing for a bit, the sun was out, the sky was mostly clear and the temperature was 49 degrees ! I thought it was ash but it was snow flakes. All the above seems to be a trend for the past 7 years running. Ice age coming maybe or someone messing with the weather. The sun solar events very likely the case. One thing kind of troubles me though, the warming on the east cost then the trend in the southwest seems to be getting colder for longer periods.

In the past 2 years I have heard everything for the MSM below.

Sun Warming period.
Sun cooling period.
Climate change
Climate warming.
Green house effect.
Corn fuel effect.
Sun spots
Earth Orbit.

etc..

I figure since all this information is coming from the msm, the truth will never be told and something is being hidden. If there is an Ice coming you really think the MSM is going to tell you.

Now what I have observed in the past 4 years. 16" of snow a few years ago in Albuquerque. that was unheard of. but it also happened sometime in the early 20th century. Temps dropping into the negative numbers in the southwest, Massive snow storms last year in the mid west, The year before that massive snow storms on the east cost, Tornadoes spawning like no tomorrow last year in the mid-west, this year it's starting again. Recent events this month in March and it's only 4th. The southwest temperatures in the 20's the east coast on a warming trend, and the Tennessee Valley hit with tornadoes.

Again , I don't buy the late winter theory or any of the above MSM reports either. There is more to it than that if you look at the past several year weather trends. I lived on the east costs the west coast and even the Tennessee Valley. People around the USA and the world are not saving the weather as a topic for water cooler discussions anymore. it has become a major topic even on ATS.

Put it this way. I shop at a military commissary, I'm buying more MRE's like everyone else is that shops there. You know come to think of it The MRE Rack was empty for about 2 weeks last month, and empty for 2 weeks the month before that. Those are the only times I ever seen that racks empty. HLS or some other agency must need some serious supplies for something. This month the selection was not good but it was stocked with beef patty or sloppy-joe. Only two selections, The yummy MRE's were missing ('
') Even surplus stores are low maybe it's hunting season or the MRE truck got whipped in a tornado or stuck in snow drift .

edit on 4-3-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

Put it this way. I shop at a military commissary, I'm buying more MRE's like everyone else is that shops there. You know come to think of it The MRE Rack was empty for about 2 weeks last month, and empty for 2 weeks the month before that. Those are the only times I ever seen that racks empty. HLS must need some serious supplies for something.
Very interesting,that could give us a way to make a map of the area exposed and corroborating with other data.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

I lived in PA in the 70's, I never seen a warming trend like that; even then so soon in March. I seen some very harsh winter there though, but this wow. Makes you want to drive over to the Jersey shore line, Visit Trump Place, maybe get a tan at the pool.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowIsThe

One of the most confusing statements I've ever read.

Now is the....What Diamond was infering is it possible that...it is just not Man's continuing ejection of CO2 into the Earths Atmosphere as well as this warming the Earths temp. enough to create a bigger problem of warming Frozen Methane which exists all over the Northern Hemesphere at the bottom of lakes and in Permafrost which is now bubbling to the surface and evaporating into Methane Gas....which has nearly 10 times the potential of CO2 to create Global Warming....but in fact or possibly a number of unknown other factors that are doing this.

Short answer...anything possible...but not necessarily PROBABLE! All evidence points to Global Warming being Man Made and if it get's to a tipping point where too much fresh water will enter the Oceans thus creating Water Salinization seperations that could shut down Current systems like the Gulf Stream....then we will have an Ice Age. Split Infinity

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Arizona digs out from mega snow storm The winter snow storm forced Arizona officials to temporarily close Interstate 40 and parts of Interstate 17. Both highways later reopened Sunday afternoon. By Associated Press / March 19, 2012

A winter storm and high winds struck parts of Arizona and New Mexico on Sunday, causing hazardous driving conditions, power outages and school cancellations.

Related stories In Pictures: Extreme weather 2012 Hey, what happened to winter? What its wimpiness portends for spring. Greenland's ice sheet: Climate change outlook gets a little more dire The fast moving storm forced the National Weather Service to place parts of northern New Mexico under a winter storm warning until midnight Monday as heavy snow and wind from Arizona quickly blanketed the area.

The electric company PNM reported that around 33,000 customers were out of power at one point Sunday afternoon in the Albuquerque area due to high winds. A spokesman for PNM said emergency crews were working to restore power, and by 9 p.m. the number without electricity was down to 4,500. IN PICTURES: Extreme Weather 2012
source(www.csmonitor.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Globalwarming IS the New Ice Age !

Chemtrail anyone .... ?

..... and where I am , it's so hot , even at night ,
we stand outside in the 10 min. downpours ,

just to cool off!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Mini ice age? you best be joking. the only reason for the current weather patterns is the positioning of the jet stream, but hey if were just going on wild speculation then does that mean the sun is exploding because its been one of the warmest winters on record for the north east us?

top topics

<< 17  18  19   >>

join