It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Drummers/Guitarists (or any musicians) out there?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Title speaks for itself.

Is there any one else who plays some sort of instrument?
What do you play and who are you inspired by?

Me, I'm a drummer, and I'm mostly inspired by Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree and Martin Lopez formerly from Opeth.

Thats it for me, now you guys: post down below

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AuirOverrun

I play Guitar, Piano, and Started to Learn Violin.

some people that inspire me are, Kurt Cobain, Hans Zimmer, Clint Mansell, Ludovico Einaudi and the Older Red Hot Chilli Peppers to name a few

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

I play guitar amongst other things. Inspired most by Joe Satriani.

See the link in my signature if you want to check out my tunes.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
been playing guitar for 35yrs the best buzz playin live,t iommi,e van halen,s hagar,d mustaine,k hammet.b guy,were my influences also play drums,bass,keyboards,.......music is good for the soul...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm a guitarist and singer and play in an acoustic folk duo.

Guitar influences...Bert Jansch and David Rawlings

Singer influences...Simon and Garfunkel, Kate Bush

Other music artists I love...Bob Dylan, Gillian Welch,Joanna Newsom, Devandra Banhart, Iron and Wine, Fleet Foxes etc..

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I played for eleven years.

And then life happened. Had a baby, moved, started college, guitar got broken whilst in a family member's care and now its four years later and it just never got fixed.

I would love to pick it up again... just need a new guitar.

ETA: I am totally a rock/metal fan.. so I am probably mostly inspired by that.
edit on 30-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Been playing drums for as long as I can remember (probably started when I was 3, so 20 years). I'm just a heavy handed Bonham guy. I play some tool and a bit of heavier stuff. My chops are classic rock though. I don't do the blast beat thing, it doesn't speak to me and I can cover anything I want to do well enough.
I'm playing drums in a band right now that has been in the works for six years, we just never had the right singer/bass player; now we do.
I also play guitar, I've played in a few local bands but nothing special. I like to think I'm decent at it but I'm not too good.
Hopefully my band will have a youtube account soon, but I can send a couple demos to anybody who is interested.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Guitar/Bass here. I've written for some cool projects - the last band I wrote with, maybe you'd appreciate considering there's a 'prog' element to it. I've been a musician for just over 25 years now and I've been part of some pretty cool bands. I have an eclectic list of influences that come out when I write. My progressive inspiration came from bands like Rush and King Crimson. My 'mainstream' influence comes from all the classic rock stuff... Earth, Wind & Fire, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Beatles, The Who, 60s Garage Rock... then there are bands like Tool, APC, Alice in Chains, Mars Volta, Primus, the Residents, Isis, Explosions in the Sky... I'm all over the place. I think it's important to have many influences... that way you can reach into your bag of tricks when you're recording and say things like... how would Danny carey approach this?

This is me on guitar in this video. The band is called Armenian Space Station (I prefer A.S.S.).
The guy who shot the video asked us to write 3 minutes worth of music (as a "prog band", our shortest song was about 8 minutes), so we came up with the tune below.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I play guitar, Bassdrums, sing... keyboards
and record and produce...

I've played with several bands in the past.
No names please
lol

For Guitar and Bass my inspiration is.... Hypocrisy, Dimmu Borgir, Type O Negative, Forest of Shadows, Opeth, Pain, and Johnny Cash

For Drums... well hell its basically the same as the above lol

My wife and I have finished writing our debut Album for our little band...
its studio time in a month or so?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth
how would Danny carey approach this?

Like a boss.
edit on 30-1-2012 by Mr Headshot because: vid

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

That's some hard proggin there my friend.

Great band, your drummer is an animal. Reminds me of System of a Down - only faster. lol!
Nice guitar playing there too.
I'll be looking for other songs (I hope there's more!)

Me -drums/bass/guitar.
Many of Philth's inluences here plus Frank Zappa, Steve Hillage, Dead Kennedys, bad brains, black flag and Ravel.
Gotta throw in Mastadon and Lamb of God too.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Cool thread brother!
I play guitar, bass guitar, drums and vocals, basically everything you find in a hardcore band. And now I kinda lost that spark I quit writing stuff, I haven't picked up a guitar in the last year or so ( probably due to depression hitting harder this time around.

And I've been for last two years hooked on Tool and it has helped me alot through hard times ( especially Aenema really a great album ) and by the I've heard a bit of porcupine but Opeth man that band is great I actually as a vocalist picked up my death metal vocals from listening to Ghost of perdition.
Thanks for the cool music thread brother
Peace

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I made this apology song for my ex..

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth
how would Danny carey approach this?

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
Like a boss.

Damn straight!

Kinda sucks for me as a drummer as well; He's the drummer in my head, so when I come up with a sick bass or guitar riff, I just gotta do the whole tribal drum thing...

Originally posted by AuirOverrun
Me, I'm a drummer, and I'm mostly inspired by Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree and Martin Lopez formerly from Opeth.

I'm always networking... I love meeting new musicians! Good to see my fellow people on ATS!
Thanks for posting!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

porcupine tree is good.
i play didgeridoo, and theremin.
for the first one, i try to develop a style on my own, so I try not to have any external influence, for the latter, Clara Rockmore

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
im a bassist, i mainly play 5 string fretless with a high C. inspired by greats like Jeff berlin, the canadian alain caron and stanley clarke(the older stuff). fell in love with Jazz standards and usually spend my time understanding the complex language of Jazz.

what do you drummers think about Jojo mayer?
edit on 30-1-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
ive been playing guitar, bass for around 10 years. i have learned how to play drums about 5 years ago. i play piano off and on for 6 years. mostly rock, metal and country are what i pittle around with. never done any thing live but want to some time.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I am totally going to look for more from this band. I'd love to have a keyboard player(actually a keyboard/Hammond/mellotron guy, but that's nearly impossible) and your guy smokes. Pretty damned good from the rest of the band.

I play drums, badly. Been working on some songs with a guitar player friend, Maiden, Metallica, etc., to try and get the chops up enough to try making originals but we both suck and time is a pisser.

Here's one, recorded off of video tape from 1990 or so. You guys can laugh at it. I do.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

That's some hard proggin there my friend.

Great band, your drummer is an animal. Reminds me of System of a Down - only faster. lol!
Nice guitar playing there too.
I'll be looking for other songs (I hope there's more!)

Thanks brother - I truly appreciate the compliment! Yeah, the drummer's nuts - I love playing with the guy... that is, when we do play. We're pretty much a "studio project", but we have played live.

Originally posted by TheLoony

I am totally going to look for more from this band. I'd love to have a keyboard player(actually a keyboard/Hammond/mellotron guy, but that's nearly impossible) and your guy smokes. Pretty damned good from the rest of the band.

Thanks brother! Yeah man, I've been friends with Greg (keys) for about 15 years now - the guy's a monster on piano. He played classical piano till he was around 15 when a friend of his turned him on to Ray Manzarek and the Doors. His classically trained brain was ruined from then on!

You can check out a few A.S.S. tracks as well as another band I was in called Butcher on my SoundCloud page.

Here are a couple of A.S.S. videos:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Awesome thread
Been playing guitar for around 11 years here, also picked up bass and drums for a few years. Oddly enough I started out learning guitar privately (lessons for about 3 years) whilst playing saxophone in my middle school band.
Had a rare allergy to cane reeds, and stopped playing not long after I switched to synthetic reeds...guess the guitar had a lot to do with it too. [Those reeds gave me the worst chapped lips I've ever had/seen
glad those days are long gone.]

A few years ago I started "creating" fantastic riffs and 2-part melodies in my head before I fell asleep (can't really explain it...had some control over it, but it was mostly unconscious). After a few mornings of waking up and wishing I could recall what I had "heard" the night before, I started getting out of bed late at night to record while it was fresh in my brain. Up to about 30 "songs" now, ranging from 3 minutes to 5 or so, with about another 100 in various unfinished stages. Unfortunately, the reservoir of riffs has dried a little as of late. I guess the closest thing I've ever heard to my music is Buckethead. Can't really put me in a genre cause some songs are clean/peaceful, some funk, speed metal, power metal, but most would fall under progressive metal. I'd be happy to share it with you all, just not really sure the best way. Youtube the way to go? Any advice is appreciated.

I'm mainly inspired by melodic metal (Children of Bodom's older stuff, God Forbid, Trivium, Killswitch Engage, etc.) and progressive metal (LTE, Buckethead, Porcupine Tree, Tool, Seventh Wonder, etc.). Grew up listening to a lot of rock, metal, and grunge (90's) so I'm sure Metallica, Megadeth, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, and too many others to name have had an impact on my music as well. Speed metal and prog are what I credit for most of my current capabilities though...exponentially improved my technique and speed.

@the_philth: You guys sound good. Reminds me a lot of LTE.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join