It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did a search for some information and this is what come up:

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Have a look at this:

What do you see?

United States of Tara comes up 3 lines before America. OMG!

1. This indicates that People are searching for information about the United States of Tara more than they are searching for information about the United States of America?

2. Internet search results are based on 'hits' per search query...thus intelligent questions are falling off the front page to make way for popular games and media personalities?

I just tried looking for some information I had read a year ago and I can't find it. The majority of information that comes up are blogs or web pages from two bit organisations presenting themselves as factual when they have quoted from a blog themselves!

Can anyone see what is going on here?

There is a very real conspiracy going on and we are perpetuating it. It is called the spread of disinformation.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Your time on your computer is about 12 hours off, right?

On-topic: google is always pimping their algorithms to present "even better userexperience" - sometimes failing big time.

And self-referencing websites with quotes from blogs long gone: thats just the way information ticks these days, I guess.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

To me what you found is either an indication of the continuing apathy of many Americans... and/or our country is in such a mess; they are trying to escape through entertainment.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I don't know how Google sets up the search queries, but is it possible that they can get paid to bump certain searches up over others? Another thing I noted is that whenever I start a search, a pop reference, such as a movie of the same name etc. always appears first.

What is United States of Tara? Is it any good? Never heard of it. I'm guessing Tara means earth? I guess I could just google it.

ETA -
I did do the search and sure enough a IMDb link came up for it first. It looks like something I wouldn't be interested in. But I have noticed that IMDb almost always shows up first for any type of word that is part of a movie or a movie star.
edit on 30-1-2012 by SubAce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Interesting!

I would, however, imagine that many people are searching for the United States of America as 'US', 'America'or 'USA'. If I was looking for information on the US, then I might even search 'Wiki United States of America'.

Also, with Google I think geographical location affects the search suggestions - its working perfectly fine for me here ('...Tara' is second, '...whatever' is third and '...Europe' is fourth).

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Search results on google are tailored to the user, it's how it has always worked.

For instance if you search google for astronomy books several times in an hour, and proceed to enter the question "how was the universe made". Your first link/suggestion will be related to scientific answers.

Yet if you searched up bible quotes for an hour, and then entered the question "how was the universe made". Your first link/suggestion would be something to do with creationism.

Google uses these stupid algorithm's to try and "guess" what the user is looking for, and tailors it to their browsing history/cookies.

For me, the "united states of america" appears before "united states of tara" and evens mentions "united states of europe" lol.

However, this is interesting;
www.google.com...,+united+states+of+america

Notice on a few occasions the graph for "tara" actually does become more popular a search than "america".

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Nothing would surprise me anymore. I can see this thread fitting into the plan of the cabal/illuminati/whatever to dumb people down.

Television hypnotises people and it was first developed as a tool by the powers that be in concert with their belief and practice in black magic. The very first design was basically a tube and the message/image was sent down a tube to the screen and the very first image projected was a swastika.

It was kept on hold for many years and was designed into the first black and white sets that we saw in the 1950-60s. The internet is no different only there are a wider range of options and many people are technically adept at using and even building their own computers.

Still the information in this thread suggests that people are being hypnotised into watching lots of television and that suggests that many many many people are playing into the hands of the cabal/illuminati/whatever.

Much Peace...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I just logged off from Above Top Secret and was searching for some information about pathological liars.

I remembered this thread and so I typed in united states of - and up came the same result as this thread. Please consider that I have never watched the show and have never searched for the show on my computer - so much for the logarithms and calculations determined by a previous search.

The fourth line was a reference to the postal service but lines one, two and three were exactly the same as the example provided in the opening post.

Much Peace...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

be aware that entities can pay to have thier google rank " massaged "

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

also as google delivers " targeted content" hear is my results :

"u":

` ucas ` - a brittish agency dealing wih university applications
` urban exploration ` -the pursuit of exploring urban landascapes and dereliction
` urban dictionary ` - a resource to help me decipher the jargon of idiots
`uk top 40 ` - british music trends
` urban outfitters ` - a fashion outlet [ i have no interswt in them - it must be a paid placeing ]
` ultravox vienna ` - a favoirite song of mine
uss missourri recommissioned ` - the history of an iconic US battleship
` uk plumbers ` - a brittish plumbers forum

" un "

` unison ` - a brittish trade union
` underground map ` - i have an unatural interest in subereanean activity
` uniqlo ` a brittish online fashion retailer [ i have no interswt in them - it must be a paid placeing ]
`unimog ` - a mercedes all-wheel--drive truck

" uni"

` unison ` another brittish trade union
` uniqlo`
` united utilities ` a brittish utility company
` university league table `

" unit "

` united utilities `
`united airlines ` a US airline
`united carpets ` -a carpet company
` unit converion ` - a info website to convert metric an ameeican meaurements

" unite "

` united utilities `
`united airlines `
`united carpets `
` unite ` - a british trade union

" united "

` united utilities jobs ` aemployment prospects in bitish utiity comanyies
`united airlines `
`united carpets `
` united kingdom ` a country

"united s `"

united states `
` united synagogue `
`united states postal service `
` united sports `

" united st "

` united states `
`united states postal service `
`united states of tara `
`united states of whatever `

see different people get different results

these resulkts are a mix of your previous search trends and what people pay to promote

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
moving on to ` united states of `

i get

` united states of america `
`united states of america flag `
` united states of america map `
`united states of europe `
` united states of tara `
united states of pop 2010 `

i conclude that you are american and or have a far greater interst in telivision than i

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
That just means, that United States of Tara has better google marketing skills than United States of America. Those results are based on who pays more to inflate their search results. Google adsense and adwords are working well for Tara.

It's all a money racket...

A_L

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
[offsite]

1. This indicates that People are searching for information about the United States of Tara more than they are searching for information about the United States of America?

those pop up results come from regional search queries. In the UK you get different results. I think you are just reading too much into things.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
By the Google address, I'd assume you're Australian?

In that case, why would your fellow countrymen look for stuff about the USA on the site? Why would anyone really if they heard of a tv show and wanted to see what it was about?

As a Brit, I know a lot of things but I don't know much about my own nation and have no desire to learn more than I currently know. It's like taking the woodwork and metalwork classes in school or maths, I haven't used anything I've learned from those subjects in the 12 years since graduating with above average grades so what was the point really?

No conspiracy, just curious people.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

i gave a star to "ManFromEurope" ( the second post on this thread ) because i think he is correct and i think you are just looking into it too hard. it's just a search engine anyways.

however, i want to point out that such critical thinking is not a bad thing, and i made this post just to tell you that. don't get paranoid, but always think outside the box. in this case it's a bad example for thinking outside the box and reaching an epiphany but in most cases, conspiracy theories, hidden truths, etc. only come to light from minds that think like this. so thanks for bringing yourself to ATS!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The next thing you should research is google marketing. If you pay enough, your name will come up as the first thing in a search as well.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ComeFindMe

I used a variety of terms such as USA etc and could not find the information I needed so tried other terms of reference to see if it would come up.

As for the US of tara... I have never seen it, didn't know what it was about...but thought it was very strange.

And the other thing I noticed was the quality of what information was on the front page. !

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

i conclude that you are american and or have a far greater interst in telivision than i

No I am an Aussie and I hardly watch TV.

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

these results are a "mix of your previous search trends" and what people pay to promote

well it would have to be 'what people pay to promote' because my search trends does not include anything like that.

Originally posted by Amanda5
I remembered this thread and so I typed in united states of - and up came the same result as this thread. Please consider that I have never watched the show and have never searched for the show on my computer - so much for the logarithms and calculations determined by a previous search.

The fourth line was a reference to the postal service but lines one, two and three were exactly the same as the example provided in the opening post.

thankyou. It is getting harder and harder to find information. The article I read a year ago does not come up.

Perhaps it is just a matter of marketing? I am going to continue to look for the information using other databases and see if I can find it.

edit on 30/1/2012 by Thurisaz because: add quotes/replies to

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Starred ya, just because of Ultravox - Vienna

This means nothing to me....!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
This is how google works.

This is very scary, IMO.
edit on 31-1-2012 by addygrace because: This is very scary, IMO.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

check this out!!!!
Google 'Australia' & 'Australia Post' is the first comes up!!!
Gaygle 'suck' and suck it and see' is the first.....
Google 'retard' and 'retarded policeman' is the second thing that comes up! That's funny!

Man this place has fallen far from the tree that once shed the seed... but money does that!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join