It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experiment: What would YOU do?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by gosseyn

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by gosseyn

b) Notify a store employee about what you heard

This is IMO the best thing to do, then if the employee doesn't care, I'll just leave and forget.

So you feel this satisfies your morale obligation? There’s nothing wrong with that; you did react positively.

Would you think about it later and wish you’d done more if you saw the couple on the news arrested for dog fighting?

This satisfies my morale obligation given the current circumstances, yes.
The thing is that it is "just" a dog, if they were talking about a child or something like that, my reaction would have been very different. And if I see later that they have been arrested, I would feel satisfied by the outcome, whatever was my involvement.

You are scum! JUST a dog, have you any idea what you are saying? Have you ever owned a dog or any other pet for that matter? Dogs have souls just the same as we do, they are intelligent and sensitive and will be your best friend and biggest ally for the rest of their life. I love my dog, i would be heart broken if anything happened to him, for those of you who query the comment on dogs having souls, they dream, just like we do which to me proves they have imagination, thoughts and feelings. Soul.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

reply to post by ButtUglyToad

Why kNot use the camera on your phone to video the couple then post it on uTube?

It would go viral!

I’m sure today this would likely happen if you could catch it in time.

Then what happens from there, you cannot be blamed for.

By saying this I assume you feel some obligation to expose these people. What if they WERE just kidding? Now you painted two innocent people in a bad light in front of the WORLD. Even if they did say it, saying it isn’t a crime is it?

Confucius say:

"Never open trap when mouse can hear you."

If they were joking, it would be obvious but by the unlikely event they were joking and it wasn't obvious, they can explain it away and any harm done will fall on them, for being so frig'n stupid to begin with.

"Stupid iz what Stupid doez!"

Ribbit

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I wouldn't say anything because of a potential emotional situation turning ugly. Personally, because I despise the use of dogs for fighting and money for humans, I would take down their plate numbers and notify animal control or the police of what I had heard and leave it at that.

So you feel an obligation to step in and you would get the police involved? Nothing wrong with that. You acted positively in defense of a perceived threat to an innocent animal.

Yea, I'm a bit biased I suppose, but you asked.

We’re all biased on all issues to some degree.

ETA: oh yea, the constitution bit, well I still don't think it supports dogfights, but if the point is live and let live and people have a right to fight their dogs, well I guess some of us have a right to discourage or disapprove, even if there is no law, but there is a law right?

I would assume there are laws against dog fighting at the state level in all 50. There isn’t a constitutional obligation as far as I know…I doubt there is. The founders left many specifics up to states to decide these matters.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by shinzaun

Umadbro?

The reality is, if someone is uncaring enough to talk on the phone about how well this dog will fight. They are also uncaring enough to knock you out cold for snatching their phone. You won't know what to tell police lol, all you will see is stars. Then guess who would be the one getting charged? You. You tried to steal their phone, and they could say all sorts of things that you did just to put the weight on you and you'd just look like you were trying to slap something on them.

I think I agree with the person who says get their tag. Either that or bringing up conversation with them, tell them you have pit bulls for sale, get their number, and call the police and tell them about it and maybe you can stage a backfire mission
. Manipulation is key in situations like this

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan

Originally posted by shinzaun
To those of you who said they would do nothing or inform an employee, i say shame on you! If i overheard that conversation i would confront the couple take their phone, make a note of the number they rang and call the police. Sod the, " i wouldnt say anything in case it turned ugly", comment, you are weak. Over hearing something like that in a pet shop would make my blood boil, plain and simple. I have confronted dog owners in the past who i have witnessed beating their dog because it wouldnt do as its told, and informed them that if the dog was so inclined it could quite easily rip their throats out, after all its just a domesticated wolf. Using any animal for financial gain is deplorable and i dispise anyone that does it. The people who do should be punished by being forced into a game of human hunting, where they are the sport. The members on here who would do nothing would find themselves in the forest running for their lives aswell.
Disgusted sometimes that i am part of the human race.

Wait... so if someone does nothing in that situation, they should be punished by being forced into a game of human hunting where they would be hunted for sport?

Because they don't agree with your way of solving a problem? Yeah....

Anyone who overheard that conversation and did nothing are soul less creatures in my opinion. Doing nothing is the easy way out of a situation, something that seems more and more common these days. The majority of people dont care and the ones that do are too few in number to effect any change. I stand by my choice and methods. People who let things like this go are worthless hunks of meat who deserve nothing but contempt and the same treatment that the dog will recieve. Shame you are so quick to walk away and be one of the majority.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

You are wrong about the Constitution kNot limiting Citizens!

Does it mention fighting animals as sport or for profit?

The reason We the People formed Government was to provide Order, so peeps just like you wouldn't take the law into your own hands, in your own ways. That is Chaos!

Absolutely! It would otherwise be a world of chaos…for sure.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pelvi

Umadbro?

The reality is, if someone is uncaring enough to talk on the phone about how well this dog will fight. They are also uncaring enough to knock you out cold for snatching their phone. You won't know what to tell police lol, all you will see is stars. Then guess who would be the one getting charged? You. You tried to steal their phone, and they could say all sorts of things that you did just to put the weight on you and you'd just look like you were trying to slap something on them.

I think I agree with the person who says get their tag. Either that or bringing up conversation with them, tell them you have pit bulls for sale, get their number, and call the police and tell them about it and maybe you can stage a backfire mission
. Manipulation is key in situations like this

Not mad, just dissappointed with certain comments from certain mambers. Always thought this was a site for people who read between the lines and gave a damn. As for the knock me out cold comment, you cant justify that without actually knowing me. Fair point? I have been around the block a fair few times, won some, lost some, but never, never, been put on my arse.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

To those of you who said they would do nothing or inform an employee, i say shame on you!

Nothing wrong with that..

If i overheard that conversation i would confront the couple take their phone, make a note of the number they rang and call the police.

BIG problem with that….

What gives you the right to touch them or their property? Is it because their values don’t align with yours?

Sod the, " i wouldnt say anything in case it turned ugly", comment, you are weak. Over hearing something like that in a pet shop would make my blood boil, plain and simple. I have confronted dog owners in the past who i have witnessed beating their dog because it wouldnt do as its told, and informed them that if the dog was so inclined it could quite easily rip their throats out, after all its just a domesticated wolf. Using any animal for financial gain is deplorable and i dispise anyone that does it. The people who do should be punished by being forced into a game of human hunting, where they are the sport. The members on here who would do nothing would find themselves in the forest running for their lives aswell. Disgusted sometimes that i am part of the human race.

Certainly nothing wrong the way you feel about this. It is deplorable to do something like dog fighting (or cock fighting, etc). Having said that…what authority do you have to confront them for “saying” they were going to break the law?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

Originally posted by banishedfromthisarea
reply to post by seabag

As a strict constitutionalist, I would call them out on it. But, see, I am not the government, so I can do that. The constitution only limits government, not citizens.

The reason We the People formed Government was to provide Order, so peeps just like you wouldn't take the law into your own hands, in your own ways. That is Chaos!

We the People are now limited in how We can deal with matters, just as Government is limited, but the limits are different.

Ribbit

I kind of think you're wrong and I am right. I have tried a few constitutional cases, won 3 appeals, (lost 5), and won about 30 jury trials. www.gingolaw.com

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I don't think you are considering all the possible scenarios with a confrontation. Let's say a fist fight breaks out, you know these days it is very likely to escalated to a stabbing or shooting. The end result? Potential jail time, getting sued, a maiming injury or even death. Now how do these actions outweigh notifying an authority in this situation? What if I got killed confronting these people and now my kids(hypothetically) have no father?

Just because someone doesn't step up and give a beat down doesn't mean they are helpless or lacking care. The situation would be more than just a nice conversation in this case, cuz the people would get defensive and as I said, for me I might lose control because of the nature of the subject. Weak? To each their own, but sometimes poor decisions have a detrimental outcome. And again I would do something other than ignore it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

reply to post by gosseyn

This is IMO the best thing to do, then if the employee doesn't care, I'll just leave and forget.

So you feel this satisfies your morale obligation? There’s nothing wrong with that; you did react positively.

Would you think about it later and wish you’d done more if you saw the couple on the news arrested for dog fighting?

The thing is that it is "just" a dog, if they were talking about a child or something like that, my reaction would have been very different. And if I see later that they have been arrested, I would feel satisfied by the outcome, whatever was my involvement.

You are scum! JUST a dog, have you any idea what you are saying? Have you ever owned a dog or any other pet for that matter? Dogs have souls just the same as we do, they are intelligent and sensitive and will be your best friend and biggest ally for the rest of their life. I love my dog, i would be heart broken if anything happened to him, for those of you who query the comment on dogs having souls, they dream, just like we do which to me proves they have imagination, thoughts and feelings. Soul.

Thank you.
There is so much to do about humans and what's going on on this planet that I have my priorities. What i despise, is people putting dogs first or any other animal before caring for human beings(I am not saying you do, I don't know, but by seeing how ready you are to cut my throat about an hypothetical situation, I would not be surprised).

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan

To those of you who said they would do nothing or inform an employee, i say shame on you! If i overheard that conversation i would confront the couple take their phone, make a note of the number they rang and call the police. Sod the, " i wouldnt say anything in case it turned ugly", comment, you are weak. Over hearing something like that in a pet shop would make my blood boil, plain and simple. I have confronted dog owners in the past who i have witnessed beating their dog because it wouldnt do as its told, and informed them that if the dog was so inclined it could quite easily rip their throats out, after all its just a domesticated wolf. Using any animal for financial gain is deplorable and i dispise anyone that does it. The people who do should be punished by being forced into a game of human hunting, where they are the sport. The members on here who would do nothing would find themselves in the forest running for their lives aswell.
Disgusted sometimes that i am part of the human race.

Wait... so if someone does nothing in that situation, they should be punished by being forced into a game of human hunting where they would be hunted for sport?

Because they don't agree with your way of solving a problem? Yeah....

Anyone who overheard that conversation and did nothing are soul less creatures in my opinion. Doing nothing is the easy way out of a situation, something that seems more and more common these days. The majority of people dont care and the ones that do are too few in number to effect any change. I stand by my choice and methods. People who let things like this go are worthless hunks of meat who deserve nothing but contempt and the same treatment that the dog will recieve. Shame you are so quick to walk away and be one of the majority.

Be careful when fighting a monster, for you might become what you fight.

Seems to me you need to get your priorities in order.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon

Why would I be in a pet store that sells puppy mill pit bulls? The pet stores that do not sell dogs adopt them out, and adopting stores are thorough with breeds and adopters.

This store was legit and the dog was for adoption. They paid their money and left before the employee came back with the paperwork that requires name, address, etc.

A person who gets into pit bull fighting does not go into a pet store to buy a fighting dog. No, that would be an idiot, not a dog fighter. The real pit bull fighters buy and sell their pit bull puppies through private connections. They go through breeders, just like other serious breed investors, like show dog owners do. They look at lineage, like other buyers and betters do with horses.

Sounds like you know a BIT TOO MUCH about dog fights!

But if I did hear it, it depends on the person on the phone. It might be a joke or a fantasy. Too early to tell, but I would make a mental note of it.

So you would do nothing because it didn’t raise your suspicions enough to react? Nothing wrong with that!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89

im gonna confront the couple with the most random lie i can come up with out of nowhere to make them believe im with PETA and we WILL get their info from the store if they purchase a dog for fighting ONE WAY or ANOTHER, they are essentially purchasing a living creature to torture it for profit.

That’s pretty creative (vomiting on them was too
).

So you reacted in a passive way, well within your rights, to prevent something you disagree with? Sounds legit! No harm there!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

To those of you who said they would do nothing or inform an employee, i say shame on you!

Nothing wrong with that..

If i overheard that conversation i would confront the couple take their phone, make a note of the number they rang and call the police.

BIG problem with that….

What gives you the right to touch them or their property? Is it because their values don’t align with yours?

Sod the, " i wouldnt say anything in case it turned ugly", comment, you are weak. Over hearing something like that in a pet shop would make my blood boil, plain and simple. I have confronted dog owners in the past who i have witnessed beating their dog because it wouldnt do as its told, and informed them that if the dog was so inclined it could quite easily rip their throats out, after all its just a domesticated wolf. Using any animal for financial gain is deplorable and i dispise anyone that does it. The people who do should be punished by being forced into a game of human hunting, where they are the sport. The members on here who would do nothing would find themselves in the forest running for their lives aswell. Disgusted sometimes that i am part of the human race.

Certainly nothing wrong the way you feel about this. It is deplorable to do something like dog fighting (or cock fighting, etc). Having said that…what authority do you have to confront them for “saying” they were going to break the law?

The trouble these days is that the police and organisations like the RSPCA have so little power to act on what they have to class as hearsay. If more members of the public who were aware of things like this acted then maybe, just maybe the rules could and would change. If joe public visibly started to fight back on things like this and other issues then those that do nothing and let it slide may be compelled to act for the better. My posts may come across as a rant, personal soapbox, but i love all animals, even to the point where i blocked a lane with my car once to prevent a fox hunt, the police could do nothing to make me move the car either as it was a public byway and the horses shouldnt have been there in the first place.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

As a strict constitutionalist, I would call them out on it. But, see, I am not the government, so I can do that. The constitution only limits government, not citizens.

We the People are now limited in how We can deal with matters, just as Government is limited, but the limits are different.

Ribbit

I kind of think you're wrong and I am right. I have tried a few constitutional cases, won 3 appeals, (lost 5), and won about 30 jury trials. www.gingolaw.com

Then where were you when the Food-Not-Bombs Groups was railroaded in the Appellate Court?

The judges at that court went against standing U.S. Supreme Court precedents, when they said the Orlando Ordinance was facially constitutional!
The quantification was the Key!

Ribbit

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

Ribbit

Then where were you when the Food-Not-Bombs Groups was railroaded in the Appellate Court?

The judges at that court went against standing U.S. Supreme Court precedents, when they said the Orlando Ordinance was facially constitutional!

Ribbit

Huh??? I was busy trying to get U.S. military troops better body armor in the case of Pinnacle Armor v. United States. I figured that if we're going to have bombs, then U.S. troops should be better protected.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

I don't think you are considering all the possible scenarios with a confrontation. Let's say a fist fight breaks out, you know these days it is very likely to escalated to a stabbing or shooting. The end result? Potential jail time, getting sued, a maiming injury or even death. Now how do these actions outweigh notifying an authority in this situation? What if I got killed confronting these people and now my kids(hypothetically) have no father?

Just because someone doesn't step up and give a beat down doesn't mean they are helpless or lacking care. The situation would be more than just a nice conversation in this case, cuz the people would get defensive and as I said, for me I might lose control because of the nature of the subject. Weak? To each their own, but sometimes poor decisions have a detrimental outcome. And again I would do something other than ignore it.

Firstly i never said i would start a fist fight, secondly i said i would call the police, thirdly i live in Britain and the chance of a gang land dog fight promoter being in a pet shop is slim, so i wouldnt be too worried about a gun. I never condoned the use of violence in my post, violence is ALWAYS the last resort, which has been a costly lesson to me in my younger years. We live and learn eh?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

Ribbit

Ribbit

Huh??? I was busy trying to get U.S. military troops better body armor in the case of Pinnacle Armor v. United States. I figured that if we're going to have bombs, then U.S. troops should be better protected.

That's kNot a constitutional issue.

However, good job!

Ribbit

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

reply to post by gosseyn

Thank you.
There is so much to do about humans and what's going on on this planet that I have my priorities. What i despise, is people putting dogs first or any other animal before caring for human beings(I am not saying you do, I don't know, but by seeing how ready you are to cut my throat about an hypothetical situation, I would not be surprised).

I do care about humans, about all life for that matter. The trouble is as a species we are lazy and ignorant, we leave decision making to others because we cant be bothered, this is what leads to conflict, pain and death. When was the last dog world war? Or cat, rabbit, parrot, gerbil, rat, war etc etc etc

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join