It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experiment: What would YOU do?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I have a question for everyone, but I’m particularly interested in the opinion of the people who claim to be constitutionalists.

I watched a program last night titled “What would you do” on one of the major networks. They use actors to put average people in controversial situations to gauge the public reaction. It’s a very interesting experiment…it reminds me of the old Candid Camera show back in the day (I’m in my 30’s so don’t give me any OLD MAN jokes).

So here is the scenario…

You’re with your wife (or husband) in a local pet store looking to adopt a dog. There is a couple there looking at a 2 year old pit bull that’s up for adoption. You two overhear this couple talking on the phone to someone about wanting to adopt this pit bull for the purpose of illegal dog fighting. They are talking loudly about how much money the dog could make them. There is no doubt what their intentions are.

Do you:
a) Mind your own business
b) Notify a store employee about what you heard
c) Confront the couple directly
d) Other

I look forward to hearing what you would do and why…

(Side note - I had a difference of opinion with my wife on this situation. I will refrain from saying what my first reaction might be in this situation until others have commented.)
edit on 28-1-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

'Accidentally' vomit all over the people as I accidentally get close enough to do so effectively.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I pick up my phone...

And talk louder then them about how delicious all these puppies would be in a stew. I mean like really loud, it will attract a crowd and then I would just shut up all of a sudden and walk away. The people talking about the dog fights would probably keep on talking and they would have a crowd of witnesses so they cannot deny anything.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

So I take it you disagree with dog fighting?

What would you hope to accomplish by vomiting on them?

What would you do after you did that?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

This is IMO the best thing to do, then if the employee doesn't care, I'll just leave and forget.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

As a strict constitutionalist, I would call them out on it. But, see, I am not the government, so I can do that. The constitution only limits government, not citizens.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I wouldn't say anything because of a potential emotional situation turning ugly. Personally, because I despise the use of dogs for fighting and money for humans, I would take down their plate numbers and notify animal control or the police of what I had heard and leave it at that.
Yea, I'm a bit biased I suppose, but you asked.

ETA: oh yea, the constitution bit, well I still don't think it supports dogfights, but if the point is live and let live and people have a right to fight their dogs, well I guess some of us have a right to discourage or disapprove, even if there is no law, but there is a law right?
edit on 28-1-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

With the only proof being an overheard phone call, I'd probably do nothing.

1. They could be joking.
2. Even though they talk of an act that is criminal, I have no proof to present to the police, store manager.
3. I could confront the people involved, but all they'd have to do is visit another store.

That's about the most honest answer I could give.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gosseyn

This is IMO the best thing to do, then if the employee doesn't care, I'll just leave and forget.

So you feel this satisfies your moral obligation? There’s nothing wrong with that; you did react positively.

Would you think about it later and wish you’d done more if you saw the couple on the news arrested for dog fighting?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
I pick up my phone...

And talk louder then them about how delicious all these puppies would be in a stew. I mean like really loud, it will attract a crowd and then I would just shut up all of a sudden and walk away. The people talking about the dog fights would probably keep on talking and they would have a crowd of witnesses so they cannot deny anything.

Why kNot use the camera on your phone to video the couple then post it on uTube?

It would go viral!

Then what happens from there, you cannot be blamed for.

Ribbit

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I would expect they'd be sufficiently horrified after getting vomit all over them such that they'd make for the door post haste.

After they left, I'd get a mop from the store clerk to clean up any wayward splatter and explain my actions/strategy.

Japanese bug fights is one thing, since bugs are pretty much biological robots. Dogs, or any other animal smart enough to be trained into something, uh, no thanks. Human on Human is fine and okay in my book so long as it's voluntary on both sides and both sides, yes including the loser gets decent pay.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by banishedfromthisarea
reply to post by seabag

As a strict constitutionalist, I would call them out on it. But, see, I am not the government, so I can do that. The constitution only limits government, not citizens.

You are wrong about the Constitution kNot limiting Citizens!

The reason We the People formed Government was to provide Order, so peeps just like you wouldn't take the law into your own hands, in your own ways. That is Chaos!

We the People are now limited in how We can deal with matters, just as Government is limited, but the limits are different.

Ribbit

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

I pick up my phone...

Why kNot use the camera on your phone to video the couple then post it on uTube?

It would go viral!

Ribbit

Cause then I wouldn't be able to talk about puppy stew.

Another problem being, I don't post videos on youtube. I did once, and that was for a weird star I recorded and wanted to post the video on here.

Other than that, I will watch the hell out of youtube, but I won't post anything on it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
To those of you who said they would do nothing or inform an employee, i say shame on you! If i overheard that conversation i would confront the couple take their phone, make a note of the number they rang and call the police. Sod the, " i wouldnt say anything in case it turned ugly", comment, you are weak. Over hearing something like that in a pet shop would make my blood boil, plain and simple. I have confronted dog owners in the past who i have witnessed beating their dog because it wouldnt do as its told, and informed them that if the dog was so inclined it could quite easily rip their throats out, after all its just a domesticated wolf. Using any animal for financial gain is deplorable and i dispise anyone that does it. The people who do should be punished by being forced into a game of human hunting, where they are the sport. The members on here who would do nothing would find themselves in the forest running for their lives aswell.
Disgusted sometimes that i am part of the human race.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Why would I be in a pet store that sells puppy mill pit bulls? The pet stores that do not sell dogs adopt them out, and adopting stores are thorough with breeds and adopters.

A person who gets into pit bull fighting does not go into a pet store to buy a fighting dog. No, that would be an idiot, not a dog fighter. The real pit bull fighters buy and sell their pit bull puppies through private connections. They go through breeders, just like other serious breed investors, like show dog owners do. They look at lineage, like other buyers and betters do with horses.

But if I did hear it, it depends on the person on the phone. It might be a joke or a fantasy. Too early to tell, but I would make a mental note of it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by gosseyn

So you feel this satisfies your morale obligation? There’s nothing wrong with that; you did react positively.

Would you think about it later and wish you’d done more if you saw the couple on the news arrested for dog fighting?

This satisfies my morale obligation given the current circumstances, yes.
The thing is that it is "just" a dog, if they were talking about a child or something like that, my reaction would have been very different. And if I see later that they have been arrested, I would feel satisfied by the outcome, whatever was my involvement.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

I pick up my phone...

It would go viral!

Ribbit

Cause then I wouldn't be able to talk about puppy stew.

Another problem being, I don't post videos on youtube. I did once, and that was for a weird star I recorded and wanted to post the video on here.

Other than that, I will watch the hell out of youtube, but I won't post anything on it.

SumThing like the OP's scenario, posted on uTube would go mega-viral and end up on National News Worldwide and you'd be famous.
You'd get free Puppy Chow from Purina for your efforts and could raise stock for your stew, enough to last a lifetime.

Ribbit

link   

Originally posted by shinzaun
To those of you who said they would do nothing or inform an employee, i say shame on you! If i overheard that conversation i would confront the couple take their phone, make a note of the number they rang and call the police. Sod the, " i wouldnt say anything in case it turned ugly", comment, you are weak. Over hearing something like that in a pet shop would make my blood boil, plain and simple. I have confronted dog owners in the past who i have witnessed beating their dog because it wouldnt do as its told, and informed them that if the dog was so inclined it could quite easily rip their throats out, after all its just a domesticated wolf. Using any animal for financial gain is deplorable and i dispise anyone that does it. The people who do should be punished by being forced into a game of human hunting, where they are the sport. The members on here who would do nothing would find themselves in the forest running for their lives aswell.
Disgusted sometimes that i am part of the human race.

Wait... so if someone does nothing in that situation, they should be punished by being forced into a game of human hunting where they would be hunted for sport?

Because they don't agree with your way of solving a problem? Yeah....

link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

It would go viral!

I’m sure today this would likely happen if you could catch it in time.

By saying this I assume you feel some obligation to expose these people. What if they WERE just kidding? Now you painted two innocent people in a bad light in front of the WORLD. Even if they did say it, saying it isn’t a crime is it?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
im gonna confront the couple with the most random lie i can come up with out of nowhere to make them believe im with PETA and we WILL get their info from the store if they purchase a dog for fighting ONE WAY or ANOTHER, they are essentially purchasing a living creature to torture it for profit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join