It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay to Allow Real-Object Downloads. The Real Reason for SOPA, IMO.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
sorry for my stupidness, but how does a printer actually print a phyical object?? i dont understand how it works, does it not have to be manufactored with all the components?? or am I missing something here

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail
"Tea, Earl Grey, Hot..."

edit on 28-1-2012 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

That's the spirit !!

Be advised though .. the Earl Grey from the early models tastes quite funny when you did replicate an engine part prior to your cup of tea. Especially when it was covered in synthetic oil. >_

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by scoobyrob

See the video I posted on Page 2. Not only does the printer print the entire object, but they've moved on to printing complex objects with moving components.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie

Originally posted by sparrowstail
"Tea, Earl Grey, Hot..."

edit on 28-1-2012 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

That's the spirit !!

Be advised though .. the Earl Grey from the early models tastes quite funny when you did replicate an engine part prior to your cup of tea. Especially when it was covered in synthetic oil. >_<

Patiently waiting for the new updated "Commodore Vic Synthetica" to replace those old relics with the poor imaging-to-matter filters.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
I can understand the fear involved with being able to print bomb components or whatever else these suits are afraid people are gonna use this tech for, but come on! That'd be like closing down every Lowes Hardware or Home Depot because they carry everything you need to make napalm, nerve gas, and pipe bombs. Where does it end?

I'd heard of 3D Printing in the past, and have even seen a few plastic machine parts and toys made using them, but I'd never seen one print an object with moving parts before. That's pretty, for lack of a better word, badass.

The NASA application mentioned in this video is pretty genius.

edit on 28-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

oh my god!!!!!

i would consider myself fairly well up with tech as im only 22 but i never in my world thought something like this was ever possible, at least not in my life time!!!

that is nothing short of amazing!!!!!!!
edit on 28/1/12 by scoobyrob because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
This is old news, I built a RepRap 3D printer nearly a year ago, it really works, and it can be done for around £350-£500 if you shop around. Prebuilt kits can be bought from here www.reprapcentral.com... It is cheaper however to build it from scratch.

The filament rolls aren't cheap, but you get a lot of use out of each one.

It's fairly cool that piratebay are going to be "hosting" designs though.

EDIT: Anyone interested in building their own, start here: reprap.org...
edit on 28/1/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

I've quoted my post as some of you seem to have missed it, seriously, if you have any electronic/DIY skills, get one built, they are unbelievably handy for making spare parts, ornaments, toys, even bath plugs! (I haven't actually made one yet, the bath plug that is)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I can see this technology being combined with the nano-carbon technology and create strong material using the stiching that is used on the ??? damn, can't think of it ... there is a super thread on ATS about it!

Graphene!!!!!!!

edit on 28-1-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: add content

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohyouknow
I don't take this seriously simply because what are we downloading? A 3D McDonald's happy meal toy? It's not like our 3D printers (for those who have them, must be nice) are going to sit there and like download a car or whatever.

Call me when I can illegally download a pizza.

Here's a few i reckon are useful and also pretty cool; by beating happy-meal useless-ness by a long shot:

Can't find the right-sized tool? Print a wrench!
www.youtube.com...

Need a replacement part for your bike? Print a flask holder!
www.youtube.com...

Lost your beachwear? Print a bikini!
www.youtube.com...

Lost a chess piece? Print a pawn!
www.youtube.com...

Truely awesome lol.

In a few years time there will be more complex designs put online for free by many people (i'm sure some will be sold too). That's only just plastic/acrylic based printing which is getting near, there are a few 3D food printers aswell (generally for fancy icing on a cake) don't think you can print a pizza yet! I've also read about a few designs involving 3D metal printers.

And i can see why OP relates SOPA style laws being a counter to 3D printing, it is simply revolutionary in my eyes. Honestly cannot wait until they become affordable.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

Exactly. There are millions of applications for this sort of tech, both positive and negative, but mostly positive, and with the advent of new machines that can use new materials, the applications go from millions to near endless. Wave of the future. Next gen printers will likely incorporate more than just moving parts, but multiple materials as well. The future's looking bright.

Now if we can keep corps from shutting down anything that might promote human advancement or global benefit for the sake of their own wallets, we'll be on to something truly amazing.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I love this Tec.
and you can build another one with it !
but some part you have to buy.
like motors and stuff.

they need to make a metallic plastic.
and Very hard plastic to make berings.
one day we will have one that can build with atoms.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

And/or complete biological entities à la 'The Fifth Element'.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

So then we're one step closer to the Replicators used in Star Trek than can essentially make anything? Why wouldn't the industries that are whining about piracy want in on that kind of technology? Imagine what people would pay for a printer that could print virtually anything.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Dang this is really blowing my mind. Obviously it's early in the game but seeing so printer in action and all the moving parts and strength of the material is truly amazing.

I mean we all saw this coming but to see it work like that and that there are already supporting websites with downlaods available is really inspiring. Every time I see something like this I have to wonder what else we could have if we got out # straight.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Interesting! I certainly read it:

RepRap is a free desktop 3D printer capable of printing plastic objects. Since many parts of RepRap are made from plastic and RepRap can print those parts, RepRap is a self-replicating machine - one that anyone can build given time and materials. It also means that - if you've got a RepRap - you can print lots of useful stuff, and you can print another RepRap for a friend...

So, how much will you charge to print me one of these? ;D

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I am going to print brains and hand them out to stupid people!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Brilliant. You lost your component to your laptop? No need to buy, just print it or take it to a print shop and hand them the USB drive and voila. OMG this is just great technology.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

You can print any of the base plastics, but we are a long way from printing complex circuitry and components, especially at home.

(Damn, I just dropped the keyboard replying to you and hit my elbow on the unit trying to grab it, there is just nothing funny about that bone! Feel my pain!!)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
Betting the drug junkies are gonna be saucer eyed with this technology.

Drug junkies aye. Screw them, and their nefarious addictions. I say anyone reliant on a chemical to live should be forced into a camp!

Now wheres my oxygen..

lol, no but really, Umm, I dont get this.. are people going to be printing out proprietary 3d objects? Hearts and lungs? Prosthetic weeners?

What the hell are they on about, 3d machines exist, you can make a bike from one, don't see BMX up in arms.

I despair, I really do, I need smoke. Now if a 3d printer can print me out a nice cigar, I'll start to get interested.. lol

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
hit my elbow on the unit trying to grab it

Your elbow has a unit?

Serves you right!!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is awesome, what sort of materials can you use for printing? How strong is it? Damn you can print anything with this tech. Just awesome, and it's all pretty new, imagine the tech in 10-20 years.

Car accident... bumper destroyed. Print a new one. Well maybe not at home.. well who knows.

lol

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join