It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay to Allow Real-Object Downloads. The Real Reason for SOPA, IMO.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

But would it really be me? or my Clone? Will My eyes just go black and then Im dead? Yes my clone will meterialise and know everything I know, and you would never know the difference, but What If I didnt counsiously go with it?

I suck at explaining it. The real me will be dead, and you all will be interecting with a different intellectual being, the same as me, but not acually me.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

That just sounds completely ridiculous to me. How do they expect to print a meal?

Just watch the Fifth Element, it's all explained in there.

Dallas Multipass!

edit on 29-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
This has probably already been said, but when RepRap comes with a miniature foundry, (as in, the ability to print in liquid metal, like it now can plastic) as well as the ability to replicate chips, then I will be extremely interested. The ability for the user to replicate their own computer hardware, without having to rely on corporate owned factories, is something we desperately need.

That's not to say that you can't make anything useful out of plastic, by any means; but its' utility is vastly more limited compared with steel.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
reply to post by The X

I believe you do not understand the concept of altruism.

I understand the concept of altruism. The problem is that the concept does not beget the mechanics and/or the means thereof.

Follow?

I do; but in all of my own observation, the ability to technologically or logistically support altruistic behaviour, has never been our biggest obstacle. It has always been primarily a case of people such as yourself pointing out that altruism is logistically infeasible, and that we therefore should not bother to even attempt it in the first place.

Lack of technological ability, or resources, is not the primary obstacle between us and a post-scarcity (or at least provisionally post-scarcity in terms of the commodities needed for baseline physical survival) society. Our major obstacle is the inescapable presence of people who have been brainwashed by demoniacs such as Milton Freidman, and who thus coercively insist (and would even be willing to engage in physical violence towards those of us who advocate it, to the point of death) that abundance is not only impossible now, but that it always will be.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
OMG this technology is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of!

You can print a wrench! I haven't used a wrench in ten years. You can email a bicycle to your sister! I quit riding bicycles when I was a teen. And so did she. You can print gears! Oh ya I was just saying to the wife yesterday: "How I have this hankerin' for printing out my own gears..." Give me a break.

And Alan Alda, I'm tired of reruns of him on M*A*S*H. He's too old to ride a bike. They need to print better TV shows and movies, for one thing. That would be revolutionary.

Listen to me, I spent 4 hours today trying to get one HP officejet to print a single b&w letter!! You think I'm gonna be thrilled with tasking a future printer to print me out a house?

Another thing everyone needs to realize is that everyone isn't an 'Artist'. Yeah that's right, I said it, and you know I'm right.

Look around you you know what I'm saying is true. People have had their own inkjets for YEARS and can print stories and drawings galore but they don't! Do they? NO. Get it in your heads, there has been no increase in Shakespeares and Picassos.

What's with these naive little tinkerers putting FAB LABS in public libraries? You been to the public library lately? Give me a break.

Oh ya let's print everything we need and used to pay people to produce for us which enabled them to earn money and feed their families. Great idea. There are already self check out machines in libraries and in grocery stores, now we're going to allow machines to even make copies of themselves and with enough AI then we'll have SKYNET and military applications downloaded from the Pentagon.

"Today I'm gonna print me up a Predator Drone!!" Retarded I say.

And what's with the gaudy colors of everything printed? Stop it. And nothing will be truly unique or cherished, nothing built to last or with pride... it's the downfall of civilization. You heard it here first...

Print this out, you'll see.

End of Rant.

Cheers
edit on 29-1-2012 by NWOwned because: spelling

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
if it was commercially accessible to have a 3d printer that can print parts in yous house then your local car parts store would also have the technology and you will probably buy parts half the price it is at the moment anyway... So why put a million dollar machine in your house?
edit on 29-1-2012 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

edit on 29-1-2012 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
3D printer huh....

Could we start seeing this anytime soon too?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
when talking about food ... I surmize that you could "print and bake" by using raw food products and flavoring. You could have a secondary part of the food printer ... that creates parts or individual toppings or pieces ...

then bake or "hydrate" to complete you meal ... like in Back to the Future 2

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Jay Leno prints obsolete car parts with 3D printer. Wow! Think of the size of that market alone.

reply to post by Vitchilo

Chic-keen ... (ping) mmmGooooood.

I don't think we'll be printing our food though. The more I read about atom control and replication (and that's just based on what we're told about), anything feels possible. Let's just hope 'they' don't blow us all up before we can make use of that kind of tech.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
reply to post by buddha

And/or complete biological entities à la 'The Fifth Element'.

"Perfect..."
the reviving mechanism is Orgone based

reply to post by SaturnFX

I suspect the consciousness of ourselves..our sense of self has something to do not with the atomic structure of ourselves, but our energy field that inhabits the body. You can build a molecule by molecule version of me, but there isn't really a hypothetical way to transfer the energy pattern going on throughout my body.

cough astral projection? keep your original body safe at home while you "possess" the other
ideally it would be something like bilocation for a kage bunshin no jutsu effect: your clone does it's mission and when finished would discorporate, it's accumulated experience and knowledge automatically downloads to the original via the Aether
reply to post by Mikeyy

if the duplicate is an exact, identical copy, resonance will do most of the work, you might also find yourself seeing thru 2 sets of eyes
sorta like stealing wifi
reply to post by predator0187
F&S
lol print your own home
gizmodo.com...

It lives in Pisa, Italy, and uses CAD software to create objects designed using the program. Blueprint Magazine describes how it works:

Driven by CAD software installed on a dust-covered computer terminal, the armature moves just millimetres above a pile of sand, expressing a magnesium-based solution from hundreds of nozzles on its lower side. It makes four passes. The layer dries and Enrico Dini recalibrates the armature frame. The system deposits the sand and then inorganic binding ink. The exercise is repeated. The millennia-long process of laying down sedimentary rock is accelerated into a day. A building emerges.

edit on 29-1-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: sorry saturnfx

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOwned

Can you possibly be more short sighted or are you just a troll??

Calling the very technology that is going to revolutionize the world "the dumbest" thing you've ever heard!

Wow! I would imagine, if you are old enough, you called that first primitive computer the dumbest thing you've ever heard because your 1980s calculator wasn't working well. So the computer must have been a really bad idea, right?

You're not the only one. A lot of people are having a really hard time seeing the big picture. Which isn't surprising because I see examples in many subjects of people not seeing big picture.

This will inevitably change capitalism as we know it. I'm not saying the free market is going to die, but it will be in a much different form when people can manufacture for themselves.

Keep in mind 3D printers aren't the only technology that will revolutionize. CNC machines are going to play a big role as well.

It's really interesting that so many people preach self sufficiency, but are either against or oblivious to the very technology that will enable people to be self sufficient.

edit on 29-1-2012 by Reflection because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikeyy

Here's my theory on this.

The new "you" would essentially be you. It would emerge at the other end of the teleportation, thinking, "Yes! It worked!" And for him it did. He would have all of your memories and he would live the rest of his life thinking the teleportation worked. For all intents and purposes, it did. There would be no original you to argue otherwise. Even if your original consciousness was destroyed, you would not know it, and that's because non-existence cannot be observed or experienced. It wouldn't be like some miserable eternity of blackness because you "died". You'll just stop existing, but you won't know it. And the copy of you at the other end is the continuation of you. Although emerging for the first time, his memories and experiences are the same as yours and he would be you, as I already said. So my conclusion is that your consciousness would by default transfer over to the new you as if nothing happened to it.
edit on 1/29/2012 by OrphenFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Reflection

But this is stupid how are people still entertaining this? Just imagine the cost of the materials, in a factory products are produces in mass to cut down on costs, if I had to print a wrench in my house which is quite possible, it would cost two times if not 3 times more than it would cost at a local hardware store.

Now if we could implement some rapid nuclear fusion, then maybe, but its just not practical. Copying files is easy cause you can create 1's and 0's out of nothing, but you can't make stainless steel out of thin air.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I do; but in all of my own observation, the ability to technologically or logistically support altruistic behaviour, has never been our biggest obstacle. It has always been primarily a case of people such as yourself pointing out that altruism is logistically infeasible, and that we therefore should not bother to even attempt it in the first place.

Cute ad-hominem combined with a straw-man.

That doesn't solve the problem of how. How much work is my fair share? What does "my fair share" entail? Do I simply get food and a roof over my head with climate control... or do I get things like TV, a computer, etc?

Or am I simply handed a bunch of random # and it just gets passed around until the people who want it have it?

Our major obstacle is the inescapable presence of people who have been brainwashed by demoniacs such as Milton Freidman, and who thus coercively insist (and would even be willing to engage in physical violence towards those of us who advocate it, to the point of death) that abundance is not only impossible now, but that it always will be.

The issue isn't abundance or scarcity. The issue is simply that of order.

How does one track my "contribution to society?"

If you are just giving me things out of the goodness of your heart and for the betterment of society.... why should I be all that concerned about taking ample time out of my day to play the video game so graciously given to me? That behavior does little to actually help society... but it is a gift of society....

Your entire concept is horribly flawed and only addresses the minimalistic concerns of an economy - food, water, shelter. It does nothing to address the products of innovation (that will inherently be restricted based on the limited ability to produce them and the limited amount of time to run up inventory used to stock shelves or fill orders).

Money does all of this, as does contracting services (personal-private, small-business, or as an employee) - or any standard bartering/exchange medium.

You've yet to really illustrate how these scenarios would be handled under this idealistic world of an altruistic economy.

You just assert that it isn't the problem - I am; basically selecting me for removal from society.

North Korea is way ahead of you.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kykweer

I'm talking about its possibilities, not its current state. That's why I was comparing it to the first household computers. I haven't heard anyone say its as easy as copying computer files. Obviously, physical objects are more difficult to copy than a sequence of numbers. But as knowledge increases and design improves the printers will become cheaper and more advanced, as it the case for the materials it uses. Eventually it will begin to have a major affect on the market...It's in a very primitive state right now, at least the ones that most people can reasonably afford, but there's absolutely no reason it won't progress quickly unless the corporations affected by it are successful in suppressing it. Which is not out of the question by any means.

And btw, the cost of the raw materials in any product is a fraction of the cost it's sold for in the store. The markup is mostly because of the labor, patents and distribution. 3D printers can cut the cost to just the raw materials. That's why this will eventually make economical sense for the individual.

edit on 30-1-2012 by Reflection because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Reflection

But the raw materials is what will cost u. As an example if you were really really smart and made an exact replica of an ipod in your garage, without a doubt it would cost you more than if you bought it.

I don't understand how you can think raw material is cheap, stainless steel "oh ill buy 10kg for $10?"

The material would be too costly, not the method of the 3d printers because people actually use them.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Reply to post by NWOwned

Civilization has always had teirs defined by capability.

Once affordable CNC home shops or even fictional replicators would certainly put some folks out of work. So? Should we revert back centuries because all those switchboard operators lost their jobs? Because the guy who emptied chamber pots around town is unemployed?

The problem is no one adapts anymore. If their skill set becomes obsolete they just go on the dole. Measures can help this. First education costs have to fall tremendously. No reason why they can't. High cost education is obsolete in a world where access to information is virtually universal. And second, the value of little pieces pc parchment has to fall. So many experienced and capable people are shut out because they lack a little signed statement that says "yes, they can do the thing they claim they can do."

People will opt for the path of least resistance. Go sit on welfare or go push through several demeaning, expensive and unnecessary doors to waste 2, 4, 6 years, thousands of dollars to get a little piece of paper that says you know how to donthe thing you've already been doing for 30 or 40 years.

Something else that could help tremendously is to end violently enforced taxation on property and wages. Give people a chance to farm for themselves without placing unnatural overhead costs ontheir backs.

3d printing is already obsolete and even with this old tech plenty of products can be made from nuts and bolts to AR-15 receivers and magazines. Cheaper CNC milling is the proper production medium soon to be in everyones workshop. That essentially eliminates entire industries and huge sections of retail stores.

When this is commonplace there will be another split in society. Those who can operate these machine and those who cannot.

When someone in your office fails to operate a simple laser printer and despite hours of repeated explanation still can get it you're basically looking at the new Neanderthal. Sounds harsh but it's true. Each new level of tech will break off more and more Neanderthals.

Rather than haves and have nots youll have the creators of the tech the users of the tech and those confused by the tech. Maintenance of the tech will be spread across the top two teirs which will gradually meld into one while the third teir drifts further and further away.

Trying to bring them into the fold as any educator can attest to is nigh impossible.

People are not equal. And attempts to force equality or make up for the shortcomings of others just hurts us all.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

At last, somebody gets it! Thanks for not pussy footing around either. The division is so simple....if you are not a creator or actively using or improving the technology you will be left behind. Soon all jobs will slowly move over to robotics. If you are a factory worker or any menial labor, you will be replaced by machine.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
All I know is that you can move 2D objects at the speed of light through 3D space. For example, you can send a picture or a sound or a video through the internet.

In order to send a 3D object from point A to point B, you need to pass it through the 4th dimension. If that's time, then you can never move a 3D object through the internet.

In short, E=mc2

But, of course you could sent the 2D schematics or blueprints of a 3D object and have a printer receive these plans. Then, we would just need a printer able to reconstruct molecules out of a toner cartridge filled with hydrogen gas. And as long as you have hydrogen, you should be able to make anything. But a printer capable of fusion and fission is a long way off.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join