It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay to Allow Real-Object Downloads. The Real Reason for SOPA, IMO.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by theyrout2getus
" It's like those scientists who say teleportation will be possible by scanning the structure of a person and then rebuilding them atom by atom at the other end. No one will be willing to do that, because it means the original copy of themselves must be destroyed."
Not really, why would they have to destroy the original? they could jjust make a copy atom for atom and leave original intact if they could "scan" the original without destroying it.
edit on 28-1-2012 by theyrout2getus because: trying to figure out how to quote

Then there would be TWO (2) of you. Teleportation by way of atomic deconstruction would "destroy" you temporarily, but when your'e rebuilt on the other end you'll be perfectly fine.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
reply to post by predator0187

a little soon isn't it?

i can't really go to staples and pick up a 3D printer...

Can ship the file to shapeways and you'll recieve it in the mail in a few days. Can't beat that.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The real reason for SOPA is most likely distraction, confusion, giving people something to talk about as they go to work or stay unemployed daily.

This thread is proof. Google "did sopa pass". That is proof of confusion.

SOPA is really just "protection" for the surface web. The real web is in the deep web.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by voicefromtheages

Few of us know of the deep web. I choose to stay out of there. It's dark and creepy.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Because a 3d printer can recreate drugs

Do you think it works like a replicator in Star trek? Please educate yourself. They print out plastic objects........

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Not just plastic, it will have a myriad of different materials It will be able to print out of in the future.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire

Originally posted by theyrout2getus
" It's like those scientists who say teleportation will be possible by scanning the structure of a person and then rebuilding them atom by atom at the other end. No one will be willing to do that, because it means the original copy of themselves must be destroyed."
Not really, why would they have to destroy the original? they could jjust make a copy atom for atom and leave original intact if they could "scan" the original without destroying it.
edit on 28-1-2012 by theyrout2getus because: trying to figure out how to quote

Then there would be TWO (2) of you. Teleportation by way of atomic deconstruction would "destroy" you temporarily, but when your'e rebuilt on the other end you'll be perfectly fine.

There would be no destroying. It would literally be a copy of you, and if technology permits at the time, a replica of your thoughts and experiences downloaded into the copies brain. 'You' would still be where you were to begin with, there would be a replica of you somewhere else, that would, although it's a copy of you, would be a different person.

Even if technology advances to dissect you on a molecular level, and when being transported, not replicated, somewhere else there is no way to guarantee that what comes out the other end is still 'you'.

It becomes a question on what our consciousness truly entails, and what makes us, us.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This is going to be huge! I don't think people can really see just how big this will be.
At the moment, there's nothing stopping people printing, spoons, forks, etc. cups, door handles. Some car parts, new covers for phones etc. Lens covers for cameras, buttons, light switches.The possibilities are enormous and when the time comes where we can add other materials than just plastic, the world will be in for a huge change,

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
www.3dstuffmaker.com... looks like we can get them for a bit over a grand and as they are using the devices to make their parts for there product its kind of a cool thing imagine building big sized lego blocks to build cheap homes for the homeless or just make housing cheaper and more affordable for all and with the going rate of 5-20k for a print design and 50-500$ a model pirate bay could be putting a dent at least in the cad programs and design buisness though

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

the only application for drugs or whatnot i can see this being used for is the shipping and smuggeling of coc aine using the machine to make parts out of soild coke (criminals allready make it into tiles bricks etc to try to smuggle it in as well as solid toy molds) so i think thats the only drug use such a device could have other then free paraphanalia (cost of medium) this technology is amazing i cant wait to see where its at in a few years

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by spurge

See the link I posted.earlier you can print in other stuff.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
3d printers are nice, however, it will only be "the real deal" when we are putting cartridges of raw elements in verses just plastic so we can print out anything we want, be it a cool figurine, a latex halloween mask, a cheeseburger, etc...

And no, I don't think thats the aim overall..anyone with a 3d program can convert a object into the proper format for printing out on a 3d printer...and there are plenty of file sharing websites with cheap and/or free objects to begin with (non-copywrited).

3d printers are still prohibitively expensive for the common person. for a really good one, your looking at anywhere from 10-50k. even the really crappy cupcake some assembly required ones are 1k.

But, down the road, such things may be problematic..aka, when we have nano-assemblers and stuff really is just information, then there may be an issue with piracy (since information will be the only commodity left to trade)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
It becomes a question on what our consciousness truly entails, and what makes us, us.

Pred...

I suspect the consciousness of ourselves..our sense of self has something to do not with the atomic structure of ourselves, but our energy field that inhabits the body. You can build a molecule by molecule version of me, but there isn't really a hypothetical way to transfer the energy pattern going on throughout my body.

Its sort of a object with two beings inside..one is the flesh and bone stuff, and the other is the more energy based inhabitant. Keep in mind, I am not sold on the idea of a soul. I don't reject it, and when we die, this energy may simply dissipate. But, if it doesn't, then this would be classified as the "soul" and unless that was transferred..then ya, your simply making a xerox verses a teleportation.

Now..if "they" did figure out a way to properly transport this field...could you then "jump" into a completely different body, or would it need the exact same structure to attach on to..and would you be a completely different person if say they tossed your energy into someone elses body but still have that conscious sense of self.

Ahh such questions with no possible answer. I will more than likely do a McCoy and simply not use a teleporter...nothing they could ever say could convince me that the copy being made is me, therefore I can have my origin body ripped apart and still be alive.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

i doubt it. this kinda tech lower society will never see in the light of day.. ever. just more deaths.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
For those of you who are wondering. Current CNC (computer numerical control) takes a large block of raw material, say steel for an engine block, and with a milling bit removes the material to create the shape.

5 axis milling machine cutting out a motorcycle helmet
www.youtube.com...

This is called a subtractive process. Pros: can cut metals,stone, glass, plastics etc.
Cons: can be slow and machines are expensive but can be fully automated.

A 3d printers works similar to a regular printer. The print head moves over a layer of raw material, at the moment just plastics, and solidifies a thin layer of the material. The print head then moves up and back over the same area adding a new layer.
Pros: A lot easier to use than a cnc machine but are very expensive at the moment and can only do plastics.
But people are working on how to print circuits along with the plastics, 3d printers for medical apps etc.
We are a few years off from printing whole cell phones and cheeseburgers.
Seriously Mcdonalds is bad enough would you eat something printed out?

What few people realise is you need to have a good 3D model to print out. Most of the public domain models are crap and are not built to the tolerances of models made for cnc machines.
It's a polygon vs. Nurbs things that I'm too tired to explain at the moment.

You can use a 3d scanner to get a 3d copy of the original or hire some poor slob like me to build the model.
Example of scanning a part and printing out a copy from jJay Leno's garage
www.youtube.com...

3d printers are very expensive at the moment, $20,000 to $70,000 for a good one.
But some people are building their own.
3dhomemade.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by The X

I believe you do not understand the concept of altruism.

I understand the concept of altruism. The problem is that the concept does not beget the mechanics and/or the means thereof.

Follow?

Basically - you can sit up there and preach "you should do things to help each other out" all you want to. It's no different than preaching that we all need to seek to understand each other and get rid of prejudices.

None of that actually postulates how to go about doing it.

The good of Humanity is measured in how we treat each other and what is available for those who do not function very well in a monetary economy, this is then for the greater good of humanity.

Those who don't function well in a monetary economy?

Function is function. Those who cannot function are of little value to the whole. That may come off as very cold and blunt - but it's the truth. We have been dulled by the illusion of control we currently have due to the wonders of technology and society... but we are continually in a survival situation - whether we realize it or not.

There are predators in any system. As a member of the military - I know all-too well of the abuses of non-monetary systems. The Military is a perfect example of the benefits and hazards of "moneyless" communities. It doesn't matter whether you "work smart" or "work hard." It doesn't matter if you get the job done in ten minutes, or four hours. It also doesn't matter if you do it, or someone else does (unless you are specifically instructed to do something).

Because of this, there are quite a few people who simply cruise right along - doing just enough to require an act of congress to get them kicked out, but never motivated to do anything of their own accord.

Now - the military has a few saving graces; those types often don't get promoted, or stall at certain ranks. They reach high-year tenure and are ineligible for reenlistment - thus the military doesn't serve as a cradle-to-grave system for them to live off of (just a decade or more on the good graces of tax payers).

And that's the reality. You have what you do because someone else made it and was willing to exchange it for money. You get money because you are willing to contribute your skills, time, and efforts to some task.

Money is an altruistic concept - a way of accounting for how many people's backs you've scratched.

It's not perfect and has ways it can be exploited - but it remains far superior to mythological systems where we all simply do things "just because."

The "flaw" is operator-induced, not system-induced.

Not everything is dollars and cents.

No. But everything comes with a price. You sound like the type that would "never kill for money" - until you realize what you could do with that money.

I'm not ashamed to admit - there are things that I would trade a human life for. For someone I consider to be a hazard to others - the offer wouldn't have to be much more than what I considered to be compensation for the risk of legal complications. For someone I cherish - it would have to be something beyond what I can currently conceive (anyone that could offer me something so great would be preferable to kill over someone I love... so the problem is self-prioritizing).

But all costs are relative to a person's needs and supplies. Even in a money-less system of altruism; you will be constantly evaluating how much something is to you versus how much good your actions can do (or... will something do more good in another's hands? You only have so many you can give out).

Altruistic tendencies create social good, in a myriad of ways, it is also what our political morons are lacking in, the cremation of care ceremony is literally a burning of any sense of social responsibility and any feelings of care for the harm you cause.

The problem with this philosophy is that it attempts to establish polarity in a morally relative system. It attempts to establish a victim and/or criminal. The problem is that there is no clear cut line in economic, social, or any other abstract of human relationships.

It's a realization I've come to after studying human behavior for a long time. People get upset and act irrationally when they feel hurt by the actions of another. Which usually leads to another person feeling hurt or upset. It is rare for a person to genuinely be pathological in a relationship (of any kind) that collapses - it's merely people failing to understand that another person does care (else they wouldn't get upset).

It's the same in economics, business, etc. People do what they do and get frustrated when others don't seem to respect that.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

And coc aine isn't one of them.....

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
They are absolutely correct about this being the future. As of now though, it still costs around 10K for a cheap one, at least last time I checked. I was always amazed at the possibilities of 3D printing, and how much money it could potentially save someone, plus the fact that it would just be cool to make stuff.

TPB is the ONLY torrent site I ever use, mainly because not that many of them have a good layout that includes seeds/leeches, and comments...I never download a torrent without reading the comments, and when a site doesn't have them, like many out there it gets annoying.

TPB doesn't have what I am looking for all of the time, but it is still the best torrent site in my opinion. So ya, 3D printing FTW!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
There is no doubt, this is the biggest technology incentive currently, and it will rival or surpass robotics very soon.
It will then be used to most likely build robot parts. Once the software (robot brain) catches up with it's mechanical capability, well ... just hold on to your hats.

RIght now, this technology can print gears, yes GEARS... pinions and spur gears presently, but soon.... worm gears, bevel, planetary, crown, you name it, plus pulleys, sprockets, chain drives, spindles, axles, - you can see where this is going. The fundamental movement objects in robots. Using polymers and nylon, these parts can surpass the strength of brass and steel in many applications.

I like to build gadgets, and need a weird gear thingy all the time. Imagine being able to find (or describe) a gear model you need and then download the object file and just print it. Unbelievable.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
even if we can "print out" a pizza or glass of milk, the cost of the raw materials to make it happen will need to be reasonable. if the technology were available today to print out a pizza, it would still be more cost effective to call and have one delivered.

cool technology none the less

-subfab

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join