It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logical Reasoning to Consider Any Particular Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Picture this scenario:

You meet a person with no beliefs theologically, this is not to say they are atheist either, they are a blank slate waiting for direction. Considering what you believe, how would you convince this person to believe in your religion?

For example if you were a christian, why would your religion be more practical than say Hinduism? Please including logical reasoning instead of just saying the "bible is truth" without explaining how it is.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
Picture this scenario:

You meet a person with no beliefs theologically, this is not to say they are atheist either, they are a blank slate waiting for direction. Considering what you believe, how would you convince this person to believe in your religion?

For example if you were a christian, why would your religion be more practical than say Hinduism? Please including logical reasoning instead of just saying the "bible is truth" without explaining how it is.

I am not the typical Christian but here it goes. The bible says that all who know love have the Spirit of Christ in them. If I can see this man is capable of love, I would ask him if he wanted to better understand the spirit of love that was guiding him. I would explain that there are a few other religions that are similar but that they all will require him to become a better person without true guidance of how that will be possible. It is only in Christianity where the Spirit inside of you became a man to teach you the way to love. This same sprit promises to guide you and teach you all things.

I would also explain that God expects to be challenged and tells believers to ask from him gifts of the spirit and that he should expect to receive these gifts. I would give him the bible and tell him to pray that God would send the Holy Spirit to interpret the book for him. I would let him know that when he was done he would have a personal relationship with the father that created him. If he has the faith to believe that all men are loved by God, and guided by God, then he would be forgiven for anything that he may have done in error and God will guide him to an eternal life with him.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
sorry I only accept hot women into the ranks of my religion ,
they must also pass the qualifications tests to gain acceptance mwahahahaha
then I show them the way to paradise
cars , clothes , jewelry , mansions and exotic vacations work well for finding followers
edit on 27-1-2012 by Shadowlord because: (no reason gisven)

edit on 27-1-2012 by Shadowlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

i would tell such a person to steer clear of ALL religions... And find your own path...

I would also ask if he/she ever heard of a man named Jesus... And if he/she said "yes, i've heard of him" ... i would show him/her where to read about him... and let him decide...

I would point out that his lessons are flawless...

And show him/her where he lays down the path...

From there it would be up to that person to either see that path... or walk another road

link   
I'd just ask if, in their experience and own heart, which seems right to them: the existence of a higher power or no existence.

If they answered the former, I'd introduce them to the world's religions and tell them to search for which variation of this higher power, if any at all, seems right.

If the answer was "eh, I dunno" or something like that, I'd probably hand them a book on Deism.

link   

edit on 27-1-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I cannot point to any particular faith, but I can tell them to seek God as hard as they can. If there is a heaven and conditions require you to believe and follow a way of you life, it is worth everything: time, pleasure, money, happiness in this life. If there is no heaven then those things are pointless anyway: when you die you wont even have memories of all those things that gave you joy. Essentially you have nothing on one hand and everything on the other, the requirement being you take the time and sacrifice to seek the truth.

It is my belief that all seek God with a contrite heart will find Christ.
edit on 28-1-2012 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This is an interesting question OP.

I dont have an easy answer for this, but it relates to something I read in Acts the other day.

If you believe in Jesus, and you are trying to spread his message, I dont think you should be "preaching". Jesus said to love your neighbour. How loving is it to tell somebody that theyre going to hell unless they believe what you say? The apostles never took this approach, why should we?

ACTS 17:2 As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasonedwith them from the Scriptures,

Key word there, reasoned. So I would assume the best approach would be to talk about your own beliefs and the reasons why you believe them in a loving manner, without getting self righteous.

Thats what I would try to do. And whatever that person decided for themselves I would respect that.

edit on 28/1/2012 by osirys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
There is more to this than logic. The outcome of what you say will depend on whether this "blank slate" (a philosophical construct if I ever saw one) is a wheat or a tare.

top topics

join