It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters trap Gillard and Abbott

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Protesters trap Gillard and Abbott

news.ninemsn.com.au

Riot police were called in to help Julia Gillard escape from a Canberra restaurant after it was surrounded by around 200 furious protestors

The protestors had been taking part in an event to mark the 40th anniversary of the nearby Aboriginal Tent Embassy.

They surrounded The Lobby restaurant and banged on the three glass sides, chanting "shame" and "racist".

For many Aboriginal people Australia Day is considered Invasion Day.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
So, the Riot squad was called in to evacuate Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Opposition leader Tony Abbot. Supposedly, the protestors were there due to a 'racist' comment made by Abbot, which said:

"I think the indigenous people of Australia can be very proud of the respect in which they are held by every Australian.

"I think a lot has changed since then, and I think it probably is time to move on from that."

I don't find these quotes raciist at all, i think it is reality. Times have changed, and people must change with the time.

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: Be sure to click on the link for the video.
edit on 25-1-2012 by daaskapital because: eta

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well, can't speak for Aussies, but this reaffirms my commitment to joyously and raucously celebrate Columbus Day, President's Day, Flag Day, Armed Forces Day, Independence Day, and Memorial Day in my own country. If they come at us, let's arm ourselves and defend ourselves as need be. Be strong, Australians!
(By the way, I also celebrate Bastille Day, St. Patrick's Day, St. Joseph's Day, and OktoberFest. Get over it LOSERS)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

This is so deserving of a humorous comment I find it impossible to resist....

"You call that a tip, bitch?"

"She was in a hurry to leave due to extreme internal tensions within the government organ..."

"Local supporters were so enthusiastic with their enthusiasm that police presence was required..."

Ah yes...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Nothing anyone does now or in the future will make any difference. They're just angry and racist themselves.

sad really... I mean, what was sorry day all about, seeing as nothing has changed at all... Short of every non-indiginous person in Australia committing suicide they'll never be happy.

Oh but I forget, then we're left with mixed persons... what a dilemma... 1/18th mix and you're in, I suppose.

edit >

Love the irony -

"To hell with the government and the courts in this country. You haven't got a high hope to take us on," he said.

"We will force these issues.

"Too many of our families have suffered for some bastard to get in the road."

He said the protesters wanted the leaders to clarify their position and whether Mr Abbott was serious about removing the embassy.

"You've got 1000 people here peacefully protesting and to make a statement about tearing down the embassy - it's just madness on the part of Tony Abbott," Mr Anderson said.

Peacefully...

edit on 26-1-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

That's what i was thinking. them protestors are hypocrites, chanting names, when they themselves can be considered racist.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

edit on 26-1-2012 by daaskapital because: deleted

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I try not to have much of an opinion on what this group protests but I am very glad these two have finally come face to face with how angry most of their country is.

More of it I say, perhaps they will think again next time they try to screw us.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee
I try not to have much of an opinion on what this group protests but I am very glad these two have finally come face to face with how angry most of their country is.

More of it I say, perhaps they will think again next time they try to screw us.

Totally agree with you mate. Perhaps this incident will bang it into their heads? I don't really think they could screw us more though.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

more of it I say, perhaps they will think again next time they try to screw us.

Much more

Another 100 protesters and they may not have got away . There's not enough State/Federal Police or DF personel in AU to protect ANY of our cowardly pollies in a real wave of dissent.

Run rabbits , Run.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DevilsApprentice

Maybe Gillard needs to start bringing along some SAS blokes.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
reply to post by mainidh

There were reports that a protestor tackeld Gillard, but that was denied. I couldn't make out anything in the video though.

i heard she got spear tackled, seriously though why do modern day people still suffer for what the people of the past did. Abbot said something of respect to the aboriginal people and they still turn it around, i sympathize what happened to the original aboriginals but it does not give them an excuse in 2012 to act this way.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Absolute idiots, this is going to set their cause back years and years. Showing this type of behaviour on Australia Day is unacceptable. Can someone please explain to me why the protestors were shouting "racists"?
It has nothing to do with Mr Abbotts comments as they were NOT racist, in fact he told the truth.
Back then there was a need for the Aboriginal Tent embassy but today? I say build a bridge and get over it.
I don't still blame the Germans for putting my grandfather into a concentration camp, or the Japanese for what they did to Australia. And that was less then 60 years ago, these people are rambling on about something that happened over 200 years ago.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
love it how gillard is thrown into the car and abbott just calmly ducks in. These protestors got a good deal by bein on da 6 oclock news, ( it will be ) but how can they push their point when they look like gooses... Also juddy for the save!!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
reply to post by DevilsApprentice

Maybe Gillard needs to start bringing along some SAS blokes.

So you want soldiers standing by the government to protect them from angry protesters? not just any angry protesters indigenous protester, native Australian protesters. go to hell.

they want the tent embassy torn down, its taken so long to get it there and so much pain, it should stay forever.

Whateva

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Hey, hey, hey, there's no need for attacks here

There is most definitely a valid reason for the protesting, however you need to look at this in an unbiased manner. I am actually surprised there wasn't any SAS guys there, there usually is.

Australia is a multicultural society and it doesn't matter what ethnicity the protestors are (white, indigenous, mexican, asian), it is a public disturbance and should be dealt with accordingly.

That being said, i do support protests and i apoligise if i offended you.
edit on 26-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

"I think the indigenous people of Australia can be very proud of the respect in which they are held by every Australian.
Ahh this comment is clearly extremely disrespectful. First of all the statement implies they aren't 'regular Australians', but it's ok - because we regular Australians like you, and that's something that you should be grateful for... it's a sickening statement. They are the original/regular/real Australians and they were here long before we swooped in.
edit on 26-1-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: spelling

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Ahh this comment is clearly extremely disrespectful. First of all the statement implies they aren't 'regular Australians', but it's ok - because we regular Australians like you, and that's something that you should be grateful for... it's a sickening statement.

I didn't even pick up on that!
edit on 26-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Australia is a multicultural society now, we cannot distinguish between one race or another, or one group of people massing together in a public domain and causing a disturbance and crushing another group with the riot squad, everyone is supposed to be equal now that the government said sorry, so they should have sent the riot squad in ,and the tear gas , and the horses. as they would have and have done in the recent past for every other australian.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Let me tell you and I have watched all the film.........

not once was Juliar Gillard under any threat whatsoever

when she was hussled out the back door (demonstrators were all at the front doors), she tripped and lost her shoe.......while Tony Abbott was right behind her with a grin on his face!

This intire "incident" has been incrediably exaggerated right from the start and MSM ran with it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join