It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATTN!: Symantec: Anonymous Stole Source Code, Users Should Disable pcAnywhere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

ATTN!: Symantec: Anonymous Stole Source Code, Users Should Disable pcAnywhere

arstechnica.com

Symantec has confirmed that the hacker group Anonymous stole source code from the 2006 versions of several Norton security products and the pcAnywhere remote access tool.

Users of the Norton products in question are not at any increased risk..., but the vendor acknowledged on Tuesday night that "Customers of Symantec's pcAnywhere have increased risk as a result of this incident."

Symantec pointed customers to a white paper that recommends disabling pcAnywhere, unless it is needed...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Just giving everyone a heads-up in case you use pcAnywhere.

Also, I don't believe Anons did this back in 2006.

Did someone that is now associated with Anon do it back then? More than likely...

Anywho... just wanted to warn everyone. Again, regular Norton suite users... no problems... it's only if you use pcAnywhere for remote access.

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

Er...what? Did someone say something...?

ETA I'm sorry OP, I know it was a serious posting but I just couldn't resist a reference to Anon type things...

On a more serious note, I actually remember when this was pretty much the only piece of software that could do all it could do in just one product. I never came across it too much at work as it was expensive but it was a product that some surprisingly (due to its license cost) small companies were using here. It was good software but like many of Norton/Symantec products, they never really updated it. I guess they saw it wasn't worth their investment anymore.
edit on 25/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

No worries, you gave me a hell of a laugh with that one

Time to take a ride in the ROFL copter straight to the Thunder Dome...

;-)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Just bumping in case anyone who uses pcAnywhere still hasn't seen it.

The warning shall now fade into obscurity.

It's amazing... you tell ATS there's another fake youtube video with "the sound" in it, and people flock to it like locusts in Egypt...

You tell em they might be vulnerable to a remote access attack and they could care less...

Next time I'll just wait for the "OMG WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PC?!" threads...
edit on 25-1-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

You do know this is a conspiracy site, that's why.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Hah! Like I have enough money to buy a beast of a machine to run Norton and try some light multitasking.

A little common PC knowledge you can google for free can keep your computer in tip top shape without paying 60+ dollars for a program that does it for you. And a little common sense will defeat all need for much of the software that is sold to people. Oh really I won a million dollars in an email! OMG open! Credit card to deposit the funds? Okay! I'm gonna be rich. Common sense goes a long way.

I say good for them. Point out that they have flaws in their extremely overpriced resource hog and prove they aren't as full proof as they lead people to believe.

top topics

join