It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misleading Thread Titles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I really think ATS has been overwhelmed with these misleading thread titles. It's like the 9 o'clock news reports that say ridiculous things to get your attention: "This household item could kill you, this story and others coming up next"

I really think we can be more dignified than that people. Browsing in the New Topics thread makes me feel cheap and insulted.

Does this not bother anyone else?
edit on 1/25/2012 by Drezden because: spelling

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Yep. major bother.
Another thing that annoys me is when thread titles are poorly constructed, this puts people off, when actually there is a lot of good content inside not getting the attention it deserves.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Yes it bothers us also , But you see for the star and flag whores , they use sensationlism to sucker in people , like news people do , and scientists looking for funding.

Then you have the group that does it because they have a good story and want as many people possible to see :p

It sure does suck , but it works , thats why people use it .

You can show your dislike for the title , by holding back your star and flags as protest ?

But they won't go away anytime soon. We have a little coportisim in all of us

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

There is a difference between an intriguing or creative thread title to get people's attention, and just blatant misleading or playing on people's fear though.

I am even more likely to forgive or not be bothered by misleading thread titles if they are well put together, sourced properly, and actually interesting or important.. but most of the time that's just not the case when looking at newly posted threads.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Yes but your title is misleading.

Some normal titles with very good topics make it unseen, some titles are over reacted and misleading. Over reacted titles are controversial, sometimes is great to get others attention sometimes its over the top.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarBoy
Yes but your title is misleading.

Some normal titles with very good topics make it unseen, some titles are over reacted and misleading. Over reacted titles are controversial, sometimes is great to get others attention sometimes its over the top.

How exactly is my thread title misleading? Is it not the subject we are discussing?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

It pisses me off man!

I hate seeing a title like:

Ron Paul Wins South Carolina!

^when i saw this one I had just seen the official results so the author of this thread really mind #ed me

RAVENS WIN !!!!!! Predictions anyone?

^I had just checked the score, so once again this post absolutely warped my brain for a moment

IMO which probably isn't worth very much to the people who call the shots, this type of thread title should be an immediate extreme term and condition infraction if they're not in the jokes forum.

Whenever I see a title that seems to good or stupid to be true I automatically check the forum it's in, if I see it's in a regular forum that's meant to discuss serious things I will expect the thread to contain information that relates to the title.

Even I have been tricked by an untruthful article which eventually gets debunked, but purposely creating threads with this type of title in the incorrect forum is a desperate cry for attention IMO

Perhaps I'm overreacting but those two threads I mentioned really pissed me off!
edit on 25-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I should change my name to Mr. Confusion, I seem to live there.

This is the second post in the last couple of hours that have dealt with the important topic of quality of ATS submissions. My question is, is there anything that can be done about it?

Withholding Flags and Stars? Not reading the thread? I'd like some system that let's the poster know he is screwing up (or doing well).

I just put up a thread bringing to light the Pope's recent, annual, speech on communications. I gave it the title "The Pope's Advice to ATS (and others)." It may have been misleading, I'm sure the Pope doesn't know ATS exists, but he was talking about the necessity of occasional silence and reflection.

How will someone tell me I screwed up? How do I get better? Do I just look for more and more stars?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Misleading titles get me every time

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Drezden

It pisses me off man!

I hate seeing a title like:

Ron Paul Wins South Carolina!

^when i saw this one I had just seen the official results so the author of this thread really mind #ed me

RAVENS WIN !!!!!! Predictions anyone?

^I had just checked the score, so once again this post absolutely warped my brain for a moment

IMO which probably isn't worth very much to the people who call the shots, this type of thread title should be an immediate extreme term and condition infraction if they're not in the jokes forum.

Whenever I see a title that seems to good or stupid to be true I automatically check the forum it's in, if I see it's in a regular forum that's meant to discuss serious things I will expect the thread to contain information that relates to the title.

Even I have been tricked by an untruthful article which eventually gets debunked, but purposely creating threads with this type of title in the incorrect forum is a desperate cry for attention IMO

Perhaps I'm overreacting but those two threads I mentioned really pissed me off!
edit on 25-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

Yes, even worse than the thread titles meant to play on people's fear is the thread titles that play on people's hopes.. I've clicked on a fair share of threads that made my heart skip a beat thinking something wonderful has finally happened.. and then you open the thread...
edit on 1/25/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

You hit the nail right on the head!

For a split second you believe it just to have your hopes crushed

I know it sounds minor, but after a few times you get kind of irritated.

top topics

join