It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What goes on in the mind of a sniper?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by olliemc84
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

And what world do you live in? One that still has armies fight battles using lances and swords on horseback in suits of armor.

That would be awesome though...

The US would have the most badass horses ever. And titanium/carbon swords

Our enemies would have sticks and stones. I think it is a much more level playing field now then it was back then. The only thing our current enemies have now that American dont is a welcoming of death.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Snipers are some of the best trained soldiers in any military force. As such, they are also the smartest. Does it take a certain mindset? I would imagine that it does. In his book, he says he has no regrets...I for one, believe him. I've seen interviews with Gunny Carlos Hathcock, the sniper against whom all others are measured, and others from his era. They all have the same attitude. The people they killed were attempting to harm his people, his friends...and in so doing put themselves beyond the pale. They became enemies.

There is no indiscriminate shooting by a true sniper, as that gives away their location, defeating the entire concept of stealth. They are scouts, mapmakers, intelligence analysts first and foremost, almost secondary is their function as a long distance killer.

Snipers are also a force multiplier beyond all others. As someone already mentioned, a sniper can tie up an entire area of operation, with only a few shots. Keeping his mates safe, and oddly enough, from a certain point of view, some of the enemy, as well...though, not by any intent on his part.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Just so I got this right, You shot your dad at a far off distance? If not then you didm't answer my question. My question was have you ever had to shoot and kill someone in a sniper situation, not if you've defended a poor defensles woman. And just so you know, when i joined the U.S. Marine Corps, there was no wars going on so i did not sign up to fight in iraq or afganistan. We go where we are told and we do what we are lawfully ordered to do. I joined to serve my country. I also don't agree with the wars nor did I ever kill innocent people, I never killed women or children so no, i am not in the habit of making bad decisions. Our Military snipers have the advantage to clearly identify targets(in most cases) and very seldom do innocent people die at the hands of a well trained sniper.

Also Where in my post did I say that our country is under attack? Even though we are by those who reside within our government,(if you want my personal opinion.)

And what does you having over 25 years of occultist experience have to do with what a sniper thinks or does? Stroking your own ego are we?

So again I ask you, have you ever served in the military in combat or peacetime?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Your mindset renders you irrelevant to the conversation.As does the lack of your lack of military knowledge,by your description, barring further details, you are the same as so many others I guess you can save it for your shrink.A sniper serves a MILITARY function,he didn't ask about your socio-political opinion.
Killing is easy living with it can be fatal in any circumstance.But when you are a warrior in a fight you are relegated to the technical aspect of fighting only,your feelings are suppressed so you ,or others,don't die.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Having done both jobs sniper and assault at a very high level I'll add briefly if I may

Sniping
Yes it's very Personal
It's a very deliberate timed action - not reactionary like infantry
At close ranges you can see everything about them - hell you can look in thier ears with the right kit - and becose of the range and magnification you can REALLY pick your shot
Sight picture.....perfect........Heart ?.........nah......the sweet spot , the apricot, look for the T , nice ....anticipate his moves .......breath......tease the trigger get the pad perfect......relaxed.......T..exhale to the natural pause.....squeeze......released
Still
Straight through the medulla
Body drops at free fall like a sack
He didn't even hear it . Dead before the sound wave hit him

At longer ranges it can be the same - but now you start to factor in flight time to target ...where's he gonna be in 2 seconds or more
You need to feel them ...feel their movements
And keep eyes on after you release the shot Waiting those soooo long yet so short few seconds
ZAP

But then from an infantry soldiers point of view
Murderers!
Battlefield cowards!
Go figure

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Don't miss. Period.
edit on 28-1-2012 by tonycliffs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
edit on 28-1-2012 by tonycliffs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join