It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So why is Thomas being banned from a charity event?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Ok so Thomas didn't go to the white house and now he's being banned from a charity event?!?!?!? So wrong.

Thomas did not attend the White House event. On his Facebook page last night, Thomas said he declined to attend because he believes the federal government has grown out of control.

He then released an official statement saying:

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL."

Now quickly after that as if to cover up the tracks:

Shortly after Thomas released his statement, Bruins president Cam Neely issued his own. "As an organization we were honored by President Obama's invitation to the White House," Neely said. " We are disappointed that Tim chose not to join us, and his views certainly do not reflect those of the Jacobs family or the Bruins organization.

After which...

"I can require someone to attend a team event. If they don't, I can suspend him," Chiarelli said. "I'm not suspending Tim.

Now Thomas did not start yesterday, as well as,

The Bruins chose not to have Thomas attend the team's charity appearance at the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Washington. Director of communications Matt Chmura said Thomas's appearance might have distracted from the charity event.

Now my question to you ATS is why is Thomas getting punished for standing up for what's right. This is a man who (because of his major hockey success) has the ability to instil an idea into a younger future generation, and the entire organization does nothing but try to "Get over it" like it was something horrible he did.

I for one commend Thomas for standing up like this but I have a feeling they'll keep him away from public events for a little while.

Bruins Blog

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by openeyeswideshut

Just need a few more million people to realise this...Then the problem(s) could be resolved,

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
He's being banned becasue he spoke out about his beliefs that the goverment are SCUM. And they don't like it up'em. (ooer missus)

Also, it may have reflected on the club, and detracted away from their cause at a charity event, with his stance on goverment over shadowing the charity he/his club was supporting.

Screw them all, is what I say. Stick to your laurels and screw everyone else.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Pretty sure the Bruin's just want to do some damage control. It amazes me how many people on NESN's fb page are against what he did. Some have even called for him to be fined and/or traded because of this. Thomas' statement already created enough of an uproar with some so they were probably doing what they thought would help the situation. I'm glad they won't be suspending him or any other kind of punishment, that would be such BS. I think they only did what they did so this would die down faster.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
My cousin who is a flag carrying liberal who wants the gov't to hand him everything he has was against what he did (not surprised) even went as far as calling him a p.o.s. I don't remember who it was but when Bush was in office someone declined to go to one of the sport's honoring and I remember all the Democrats laughing about it. You can clearly see the liberal bias even in the media when it comes to Tim Thomas. I thought it was honorable, he doesn't agree what this administration is doing nor the old ones as he made it clear it wasn't just about Democrats or Republicans, it was about BOTH.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I can actually understand (I think) the Bruin's standpoint.

If Tim had attended that charity event, it would have been swarmed with reporters and media there only to discuss his WH-dissing, thus detracting from the charity.

In fact, I see that as a classy move of the Bruins if, in fact, that was the reason.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
TPTB don't like it when when celebs destroy their illusions.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It's funny because keeping him from a charity event only hurts the charity. Keeping him from playing only hurts the team. But him not visiting the POTUS hurts who exactly?

These clowns are all so willing to beat themselves up for the perfectly benign choice of one person.

The stupidity among people and their little groups and clubs astounds me sometimes.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Now my question to you ATS is why is Thomas getting punished for standing up for what's right.

Thomas exercised his rights...and now the team is exercising their rights.

Thomas used his job and the recogniiton he gets by being part of that TEAM to make a political point. If any other employee did that any any other job...they would probably have to face some consequences as well.

This is hockey...not politics...Thomas is a moron.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
I can actually understand (I think) the Bruin's standpoint.

If Tim had attended that charity event, it would have been swarmed with reporters and media there only to discuss his WH-dissing, thus detracting from the charity.

In fact, I see that as a classy move of the Bruins if, in fact, that was the reason.

At first I thought that it was the bruins not wanting him to say more and further "tarnish" their reputation. But Thomas made it really clear that as far as the media was concerned, he would not make anything more than that one official statement. Now I know sports media and how much they harrass they players, but this could have been an opportunity for him to explain why he did what he did to the younger generations. This I feel would make doing this whole thing worth it. Instead now every sports fan in the country hate's him because he didn't show up to shake Obama' greasy hand.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Now my question to you ATS is why is Thomas getting punished for standing up for what's right.

Thomas exercised his rights...and now the team is exercising their rights.

Thomas used his job and the recogniiton he gets by being part of that TEAM to make a political point. If any other employee did that any any other job...they would probably have to face some consequences as well.

This is hockey...not politics...Thomas is a moron.

I do feel that this is hockey not politics, but what you also have to understand is this is also life. And in life you stand up to those things you felt have done you wrong. Now I understand that he used his recognition to make a point, but the truth is his recognition belongs to him alone. He is an amazing goalie who's worked for over ten years in the NHL to get the status and recognition that he deserves, and as far as the stanley cup is concerned the Bruins wouldn't have won it without him. So from what I can see Thomas is using the fame that he obtained through being good at what he does to make a statement. Lets make it clear he made a name bruins not the other way around. Thomas makes about 5 mill a year. Instead of considering him a moron maybe you should commend someone who makes that much money and isn't wrapped around the corporate systems finger.

new topics

top topics

join