It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know of any free e-books/pdf's on how to start up a small manufacturing business (DIY)?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Any help appreciated on were to find literature that can help on a small do it yourself manufacturing business startup. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Making what?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

money

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by haven123

money
I meant type of product.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

money

Exactly!! or at least trying to. Can't really say what we are making, though it will be bad ass. Anyways, kind of need a direction with what is involved in getting up and running. Sort of in a catch 22 - I (we) have a job, a good job - no complaints, but I am not sure at what point this "hobby" needs to get bigger, what sort of investment/loans need to be taken out - basically how big do you get and how fast? I don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse.

The worst thing I have towards this venture is that outsourcing, though I (we) do not want to do this, is really the ONLY way to get cheap materials. I have looked high and low in the US for shops, plants, etc to make some of the parts that will require high end machines that we do not have at this point and ALL of the contacts I have made in the US want huge sums of $$$$$$ to make a fairly simple part. Very sad... none would drop prices. Then I (we) get criticized about outsourcing, yet from a bottom line perspective we would not be able to stay in business as the costs would be higher than the vast majority will pay!!!! Eventually I want all of this in house, but need some guidance on how fast, and how far to move... thanks!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

what are you tring to produce,nothing lethal me hopes???

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Nothing lethal - it would actually be a benefit to humanity...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

what is it then or what does it do?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It will be out soon - will let everyone know. Trust me, this is 100% needed by EVERYONE!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
A new breed of woman? Big breasted, small behinds and the lack of vocals?

Put me down for three. No, 4..... no 3.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
What materials? Wood, metal, plastic? Lathing? Injection molding? Maybe patent your product and interest some big company in making/distributing it. Do you want to design stuff, or make stuff? Do you want to invent or manufacture? How did you prototype your product?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes

It will be out soon - will let everyone know. Trust me, this is 100% needed by EVERYONE!!!

Can I buy shares....hey, what the heck?...That is how to get funds for your manufactory !!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by azbowhunter
A new breed of woman? Big breasted, small behinds and the lack of vocals?

Put me down for three. No, 4..... no 3.

No
Why would you want a woman - they cost too much???!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXX777
What materials? Wood, metal, plastic? Lathing? Injection molding? Maybe patent your product and interest some big company in making/distributing it. Do you want to design stuff, or make stuff? Do you want to invent or manufacture? How did you prototype your product?

Its all steel construction. I actually enjoy designing, inventing AND manufacturing. We should be finished with the final phase prototype in the next week or so. The concept prototype was mocked using similar materials and it worked very well. The finished product will be outstanding. The only bad thing about the entire scenario is that raw materials are going UP in prices. Trying to make this affordable to all...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara

Originally posted by pityocamptes

Can I buy shares....hey, what the heck?...That is how to get funds for your manufactory !!

Hmmm, interesting. Perhaps in the future?

Like I said this is all new to me. Between my partner and myself we have everything pretty much covered on the engineering and metal working/fabrication. The only thing that is sort of a mystery is running/starting a business or getting up and running, which steps, etc. I really blame public and even college for not preparing students for REAL life instructions or guidance on starting ones own business!!! Hell, between the engineering courses and financial courses I took in college they never once talked about how to start your own business?!?!?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
patent it befour someone beats you to it then start small ebay or go to places to see if anyone would want to market it for you.im itching to know what this is now
edit on 25-1-2012 by haven123 because: itchy balls

edit on 25-1-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

patent it befour someone beats you to it then start small ebay or go to places to see if anyone would want to market it for you.im itching to know what this is now
edit on 25-1-2012 by haven123 because: itchy balls

edit on 25-1-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

Thanks! I have talked to patent attorneys, which is another issue we are facing. In my opinion patents are a waste of time, now that CONgress and our fearless leader has changed the patent laws. Basically, it will cost us at a minimum several tens of thousands of dollars, which do not include international rights - thats more $$$$$. If someone decides to copy the design, it still does not automatically protect you, you have to resolve it in court. Most people I have talked to that have gone to court over a patent violation spent well over 100K in court fees and either are or were tied up for years. If the company violating the patent goes tits up in the meantime, you basically get shafted as no $$$$ will be coming your way... the whole system sucks!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

do you not have the show dragons den in your country?come to uk and try to get on that if you never heard of it look on youtube

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

do you not have the show dragons den in your country?come to uk and try to get on that if you never heard of it look on youtube

have no idea what you mean or what the dragons den is. I googled it, still nothing that makes sense. Can you explain? Thanks!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Are you asking how to start a business?

Create a corporation that intends to make a profit. Pay taxes when you make those profits.

Do you have a chunk of money to sink into the whole ordeal?
You put capital into your business in return for shares in the company. You would own all the shares. Or you own half and your partner owns half. Now start spending the money.

You make stuff and sell it.
Pay a payroll to the employees (you and your partner and people you hire).
Pay payroll tax.
Get a gumball machine in the lobby.

What exactly do you need to know?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join