It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobacco display ban reminder - In Action now!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
So, went to my local Super Market a little while ago to get some food and cigarettes and was shocked to find this:

All tobacco products now behind sliding doors. I actually felt uncomfortable buying them but it didn't stop me from buying them. Yet 2 isles along there are racks and racks of alcohol which I feel are just as bad if not worse.

From 6 April 2012, customers in England will still be able to buy cigarettes in the normal way, but the ban - which was announced in 2008 - will mean cigarettes will have to be kept under the counter.

The chief medical officer for England, Prof Dame Sally Davies, said: ''Ending tobacco displays in shops will protect young people from unsolicited promotions, helping them to resist the temptation to start smoking.

Also may need to stop people from smoking in public as this too will 'force' them to smoke.

What are we going to be told we can see and not see next. Hell, the sun is shining and that can cause skin cancer, lets ban people from looking at it or being in it, lets move underground.

Tobacco display ban reminder for supermarkets

When is this Orwellian BS gonna stop, when are the few going to stop telling us what we can and cannot do.

To be perfectly honest too, lets not go down the Smoking is disgusting' route in this thread please. The point of this thread is more towards Big Brother deciding what we see and what we don't see, what we do and what we do not do. It's not about who smokes and who doesn't it's about controlling our lives. Can't help but think this is taste of things to come.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Over here, I haven't seen cigarettes displayed for years. I don't remember when they locked them up in cabinets, but it was a long time ago.

I also don't see as many people smoking anymore, I think the younger crowd is realizing they're unhealthy, and less are starting up.

I don't know if one has anything to do with the other, it could also be that they're so expensive.
edit on 24-1-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
...As if hiding them and pretending they don't exist in public will, in itself, have absolutely any effect on those who smoke or would choose to start. The almost childlike simple minded approach to some of these areas of regulation never cease to amuse me. It's just total disconnection from reality. Either outlaw them, like they so desperately want to do....or stop making Smokers suffer several times over in a variety of ways for a habit I'm sure most have come to detest themselves.

Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see how other nations handle these issues.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
So the cigarettes are no longer on display? So what? For the people who smoke, they're still readily available and they know where to get them. They're not being prohibited from smoking in any way. If their access to cigarettes was being limited, that would be entirely different.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Agreed but I don't always get the same brand and not being able to see what I wanted to purchase made it a very odd experience, also none they are not priced, there's a price list on the counter written with maybe a 9pt font. Just not the same, difficult almost which I guess is what they want.

Basically you have no clue what they have or how much what they do have is.
edit on 24-1-2012 by StarTraveller because: spelling

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Its been like that here in Canada for many years now.

On the rare occasion that I get my smokes at the dep, its usually a real hassle because the person at the cash doesn't speak much english or french.
They only know chinese or some other foreign language, so "Export-A Green King Size" means almost nothing to them and I cant even point at what I want anymore.
Its always a hassle and if you're a dipper... forget it! lol

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Yet another petty law which serves no one - Perhaps they should have sliding doors on products containing BPA
or Aspertame also.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

"Export-A Green King Size"

No offense, but I have no clue what that means. . .but I'm in Amercia.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The law doesn't make any sense at all.
If they were actually behind a door because they are bad for you, then they would have to put the beer behind closed doors as well.

Its a very strange law and I dont understand the point. Who's making the money here? The door builders lol?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

My regular brand at the moment cost £7.20 for 24, gotten real expensive over the past few years. I remember when they were £1.99 for 20

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

"Export-A Green King Size"

No offense, but I have no clue what that means. . .but I'm in Amercia.

Well here in Canada we dont really have Camel anymore unless you want to pay like 15$ for 20 smokes.

Our main brands are Export-A, du Maurier, Players, Benson & Hedges, and Peter Jackson.
You have to specify that you want King Size because regular Canadian smokes are about half an inch shorter and have a shorter filter.
Smokes come in packs of 25 for around 10$.

edit on 24-1-2012 by Fishticon84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Lol, where have you been, here in Canada it
been like that for years.
But then, in U.K. you still have milk cartons,
and need a lic. to watch t.v. ?
Anyways, here we just take a regular mthly. drive
to the Indian reserve. cartons are aprox. 1/2 price
($30 Canadian for 200 cig. and there's no tax)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Smokes come in packs of 25 for around 10$.

I figured they were about that price. I don't smoke, so I wasn't sure.

Probably less kids starting up because of the cost, if they have to choose between gas for their car, or cigs..........

No one could afford both with the money that most teens make, unless they come from a rich family.

I remember when I was younger, you'd hear about people going through 2 or 3 packs a day

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Probably true about the cost, I smoke about 20 a day, any more and I really feel it

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
We have this kind of law in effect here too. You must hide all tobacco brands and only display numbers in the automatic machines at registers. You can ask a list from the store clerk to see what number to press. It's idiotic.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'm all for it, in fact why don't you just put the tobacco products down in the basement. I have a list of other things that I would like to see go down there as well, may I put it here? Okay just a few.

Alchohol
candy
soda
gmo foods
vegetables grown with pesticides
unnatural cleaning products
unnatural medicine/drugs
anything made with monsanto products....

Crap, you know what, maybe they should just put the whole dang store down there.
If you left all the things upstairs that were good for you there would be scarcely anything left but a few organic vegetables and meats.

In my opinion they should ban advertising for anything that is not healthy or that we don't need. Which is basically everything that is advertised. The whole worlds economy is now based on trying to sell us things that we don't need and that is precisely why we are stuck in this crappy economic collapse, have no idea how to get out and nobody knows how to do anything for themselves anymore. You can't grow macaroni and cheese or twinkies out in your back yard.

Who cares if you can see the cigarettes, you know they are there and you will get them if you want to. If them being under the counter saves one person from lung cancer then it was worth it right??? Problem is they need to hide almost the whole dang store under there with them. Most of the 40,000 crappy products in your average store are basically the same crap, just processed into different things to serve different, unneeded purposes to make some corporation money.

Sorry, can't help myself sometimes, I need a smoke now,,,

edit on 24-1-2012 by Quauhtli because: needed more cheese

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Quauhtli

Hope you feel better buddy, if you do then its worth and all good

I have stopped eating processed meat if that means anything

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
Yet another petty law which serves no one - Perhaps they should have sliding doors on products containing BPA
or Aspertame also.

Personally fatty foods would fit the bill here aswell as the ones you mentioned.

Believe it or not you are more likely to die from over-eating and becoming obese than you are from smoking. I choose to smoke, but i don't stand next to non-smokers when i do. From a visible standpoint, you have to look at obese people when they get in the way and the cakes in the supermarkets don't help that matter. You don't have to look at a smoker.

I'm not saying we should all be vegan's. I eat cake or whatever once in a while, it just sickens me when there are families who tend to be overweight and everything in their shopping cart is a fatty substance.

I say anything with sugar or fatty substances in them should be treated with closed cabinet displays if they end up doing this to all tobacco counters in stores.

Just a personal opinion, but why should one product which can be considered harmful in the long-run, have a form of censorship imposed on it, while there are worse products still on the shelves, namely the fatty foods.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

I dislike how Asda UK owned by Walmart advertises Vaccines at the pharmacy - I went up to the pharmacist and asked if the Flu shot conatained the H1N1 also and did he know what ingrediants were in the shot - He looked at me kinda dumb and said No - Geez - It kinda hurts to see folks filling their shopping carts with crap that only cause them harm. Then some Jesus freak comes up to me trying to convert me to his brand of Christianity - Not that I am against Christianity as I have friends who are - But I tell this guy - I am not interested in what he is pushing - I was with my 80 year old Mom and she says go bother some one else please - He gets real mad and says - You must be satanist - I only go to Asda because my Mom wants to shop there - I buy my stuff from local small shops and try buy organic foods and products - Also a friend and I now grow our own organic vegetables and fruit - I do smoke but now I buy tobbacco that is additive free - I dont like smoking cyanide - End of rant

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

Hear hear!

I remember popping into a shop to see tobacco behind these sliding doors.

It felt like some sort of dodgy deal when he went to give me my 20 Marlb Lights..

Also, I know it's slightly off-topic, but I feel like I need to rant about the #'ing increase in costs for cigarettes these days.

Only 7 years ago, the price for a 10-box of ML's was £2.32!!!

Now, we're talking almost £4!

Good grief.

S&F'd.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join