It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bruins goalie Tim Thomas takes stand against U.S Government

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolStoryMan
Many people are criticizing him for not going to The White House today, as part of a ceremony honoring the Bruins. I for one applaud him,

Me too. *applaud applaud applaud* But I promise that those in charge of the 'RUINS' .. um ... I mean the Bruins (
Sorry .. as a Flyers fan I just had to! ) .. those in charge won't be happy about this. Hockey teams are supposed to be 'community friendly'. Even though they pound the snot out of each other on the ice, they are supposed to go to schools and community centers and do the 'community thing' .. etc etc. Being politically active is something that hockey guys nearly never do .. and I'm betting it won't go over well with the management.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

Yes and I'm sure they will seek the irs on him and start poking around his records just because he shoved his fist right up his nose.

TFB.

You piss on people then people piss on you.

Have you noticed any obama bumper stickers lately.

I see none.

WHY Hmmmmmm

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I never heard of Tim Thomas but now I'm his BIGGEST fan!!! This is what it means to be a FREE CITIZEN!!!

And for the Jacobs family (they own the Bruins) to be disappointed he didn't attend the White House circus show is BS!! They should be proud Tim stood up for his beliefs!!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by openeyeswideshut
No matter how much I hate the Bruins, I have always thought of Thomas highly. He's a honest man with good intentions, not to mention a heluva goalie. But this really put him up there in my books. Way to go Timmy.

I agree. Sure, its proper to respect the office of the presidency, despite your differences with the man who occupies it.

Ronald Reagan had so much respect for the office, he refused to remove his coat while in the Oval Office. Slick Willy on the the other hand.....well slick willy pretty much sums it up.

I think what Tim Thomas did was stand up for his own principles and beliefs and not give in to the media bias and pressure.

Clearly his reasons for not going were not some ignorant attempt at bashing Obama, but more of a well thought out responsible approach which also helped provide another look at this man that the media puts on a pedestal.

What is really hilarious is that Thomas is one out only two members of the team that are actually american!!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This morning the local AM news radio show that generally spends a significant amount of time belittling Obama took time to belittle Thomas.

Apparently you're supposed to be all a flutter and giddy to meet the POTUS simply because he's the POTUS.

I'll never understand this bizarre fascination with titles and offices people have. The notion of "respect for the office" is complete nonsense.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Good for Thomas,

He stood up for what he believed in, in a peaceful manor.
We need a lot more people like that and we could actually get some change.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
good for him! We need more people like him who are looked up to by many people to take a stand for themselves. Its ridiculous that people are giving him a hard time about this, he's just exercising the basic freedoms we're all suppose to have. Props to the man

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This is some lot of news. I'm a Vancouver Canucker, and although I have a little bitterness towards the Bruins hockey club (we lost to them in game 7 in the 2010-11 Stanely Cup Finals), I gotta applaud Thomas for doing this. Not only an awesome goaltender, but he actually has a mind of his own and isn't going to keep it closed to real matters at hand.

...I just hope his bosses don't scald him for this, or worse
. And if worse comes to, he can always come to Vancouver

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
Have you noticed any obama bumper stickers lately.
I see none.

Yes .. plenty. All on beat up cars from the part of town that is not good to drive through

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
its proper to respect the office of the presidency, despite your differences with the man who occupies it.

I used to think that. Now I'm reexamining my thought on that.
And I definately do NOT think we need a 'Presidents Day' holiday.
It's not like the old days when the POTUS was a servant for America.
Nowadays they are all corrupt and up to their eyeballs in lies and dirt.
Just can't respect that.

Originally posted by FearEater
I'm a Vancouver Canucker,

Boooooooooooooo! I'm a Flyers fan so I had to do that.
We are rude and boooooo everyone. No offense.

edit on 1/24/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Just imagine the impact of the joint rosters of the super bowl teams boycotting the superbowl as a protest against the federal government, their failure to propose a budget, their failure to pass a balanced budget amendment and the continued raising of the debt ceiling to support non-stop reckless spending in Washington, D.C.

Just imagine the media exposure they would get - talk about heros. Talk about a once in a generation chance to make a statement, make a difference!!!

Wouldn't that be awesome.

Kudos to Thomas and here's hoping other sports figures in bigger arenas follow suit.
edit on 24-1-2012 by beanandginger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Kind of funny..after a long time "lurking" on this site and chiming in on some threads during my brief account activity (before realizing that I'd rather "lurk" longer and put in more research), I came across this story early yesterday. As a Canadian hockey fanatic first and foremost (live and breathe), combined with my political interest, I was very inclined to create my very first thread here on ATS; a community that has changed my life and vision over the years. I used the search tool, which as expected, I did not find the story posted ( as Canadian Sports Media were the first to center on it). Not having time before I had to work, I simply posted it on my Facebook page early yesterday via the article reported by TSN which provoked discussion. However, after arriving home from work last night, I once again searched for the story on ATS and as expected, still didn't see it posted. I then actually realized that I had no idea how to create a thread, or even where to start. On top of that, I felt that a this story (although a big statement in my hockey/political obsessed mind), would just get swept under the rug and not worth my while. I also thought about sending it to another member as a thread suggestion..but a couple of wobbly pops later I was more concerned about playing NHL 12 on the good old Xbox. That little bit of meaningless dabble aside: He's an American..he has every right to exercise his beliefs under the Constitution..a word the Obama administration cares nothing about. People's freedoms, liberties, and rights are far more important than a game of hockey or any celebration of hockey for that matter..there are far important things going on right now in America. As an American, that's where he has every right to exercise an indifference and imposition toward people tearing apart the country he and his family live in. The White House visit is a pointless formality and is in no way mandatory; it's just more face time for the president through a medium that reaches out to the average American..that being a celebration of sports. I wouldn't want celebrate my hard work with the people that are destroying my country either. I feel there is a huge indifference and lack of understanding among athletes when it comes to politics; ultimately, this is due to the fact that athletes have very little free time during their careers until they retired. For a hockey player, 82 games a season, practice, preparation, travel, training, community involvement, off season training, and media scrums doesn't allow one to refine any other interests other than focusing on their occupation. Although in a celebrity position, and having the ability to relay messages to a wide populous, we rarely see athletes who are refined enough politically to voice such opinions. In general, I really feel that this shows people are waking up, as such a political and timely breach in the sports world is certainly another victory for awareness and liberty.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

My favorite player on my favorite team!

I just gained a whole new level of respect for this man. Almost considering changing teams, divorcing and attempting to woo him now.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

That right there is a True Patriot. There's no way you could possibly refute what he said, because he basis it not on political affiliation but personal opinions on the wrong doings of the Federal Government.

Not true. He is a diehard Conservative. It is based on political affiliation.

Second..........

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Even without the Constitution.
the people are Free Citizen and have rights.
america is not a dictatorship.
well at least not openly.
The People need to stand up for them self's.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I hope they don't make him have an accident =(. Brave soul!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
that's your extent of protesting against the government. not going to the whitehouse. i do that everyday.

it makes you look like a pussy. he had access to the president. he should have went and give him an earful.

edit on 24-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

It would have been alot worse for him and everyone else having that negative energy in the room.

Just consider this a step in the right direction, and he obviously gave TONS of thought as too whether or not he should go.

I am a Vancouver Canucks fan as well, and I APPLAUD THIS MAN !!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join