It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bruins goalie Tim Thomas takes stand against U.S Government

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What a great catch and story from a real Stand Up guy. It must have been a tough one for him.... Stand firm on his personal beliefs, or see the White House. As I've heard it described by those who have been there, that isn't as trivial a choice as it may sound. I certainly tip my hat to him.

Way to go, and thanks for showing by ACTION and not merely words...how much personal conviction still means to some.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
that's your extent of protesting against the government. not going to the whitehouse. i do that everyday.

it makes you look like a pussy. he had access to the president. he should have went and give him an earful.

edit on 24-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

You also talk out of your a*& everyday too.

What he did made front page news in a lot of places, so his protest was a success. Going there and hijacking the ceremony would have been grandstanding and tasteless and taken away from the celebration his team rightfully deserves.

Easy to sit and criticize from your comfortable computer desk, isnt it?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
that's your extent of protesting against the government. not going to the whitehouse. i do that everyday.

it makes you look like a pussy. he had access to the president. he should have went and give him an earful.

edit on 24-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

We got ourselves a tough guy here....but let me ask. What would happen to Tim Thomas if he went to the White House and started to yell at the president? Tim is a down to earth player who actually took a public stand in what he believes in and deserves praise instead of scorn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cam Neely already has stated in no way the Boston Bruins represent what Tim Thomas has stated and the usual sheeple have said you should go see POTUS no matter what. Respect is earned, not automatically given.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
As Habs fan it pains me to say this but Tim Thomas did a damn cool thing here.

Makes me think of that saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". Well, if I had the chance to go see the Pres I wouldn't have anything nice to say and it would turn out pretty badly. I'd either have to say nothing, which I'm pretty much incapable of or make a scene. Neither would work as effectively as simply not going and stating the reasons for such a decision.

I've never understood the meeting of the President anyway. There's not one in my lifetime I would want to meet, unless it was in a dark alley and, well, I think you get the point.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Declining an invitation of such import took a lot of guts and I commend him on his individual choice.
I, too, disagree that he is only being seen as a member of the tea party.
More people should stand up for their beliefs.

On the other hand, though, the Colorado governor who made the statement regarding working with the President to "touching a tar baby" should have been forced to go and sit NEXT to our President.

Racism and bigotry has no place in our world, much less our government.
I'm sure that this governor would be ecstatic if all the minorities left his state...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
As Habs fan it pains me to say this but Tim Thomas did a damn cool thing here.

As Red Wings fan, i can agree with this. I think it's awesome he stood up to his beliefs and says what he thinks. I hope it has no bad consequences. Well done...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by glovurm
Declining an invitation of such import took a lot of guts and I commend him

Took almost as big cahones as it does
to turn down the invite from a mother in law

Give credit where it is due, if he did not want to
see george bush they would be PRAISING the guy..
I think it is all a bunch of to do over really nothing.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I hate the Bruins, but love Tim Thomas. A class act in all respects and stands up for his beliefs rather than corporate appeal to the public.

Go Tim Thomas.....

also....GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Spoken like a true believer of liberty. No partisan filler, just straight fact.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Life can be so full of surprise!!!

As a Habs fan, I should hate Thomas but I always thought he was great. Now, I really, really like that Bruin!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

Good for him, what an awesome statement, and a potentially great save!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
As a lifelong Sabres fan I've grown to dislike the Bruins, but my hat is off to Tim. Way to stand up for what you believe.....hope the TSA doesn't detain him for too long on his next trip out of the country...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Good for him! Obama is a farging icehole! Although if he HAD to go he should have eaten a bunch of extra spicy deer sausage and broccoli so he could be a gasseous anomoly finishin up with a BIG duke on Obama's desk!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by parsecdude

I think what people intuitively dislike about Obama, setting aside all the hyperbole, is that he's what might be called a "collectivist", as well as an elitist, which means that he doesn't concern himself with the individual as the cornerstone of that which makes the USA great. If he were to pivot however, from collectivism to individualism, he could co-opt Gingrich (who i don't trust) and win re-election. I must admit that I was rather impressed with Newt's talk about moving power from Washington to the States and then encouraging responsibile citizenship to fill the gap, but I'm sure he'll say anything to gain access to power..

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

I completely agree with Tim. It is about time people like him have woken up and seen the trail of Corruption and Fraud from the White House's hallways. With the NDAA legislation that has been recently passed, you can now tell our Government has gone out of control.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by themegaoverlord

Obama did not repeal a single law that Bush/Cheney put in place granting the Executive Branch more and more power, not one. What, are they paving the way for a future American dictatorship, awaiting the reincarnation of Hitler or something, it makes no sense to continually put in place more and more laws that are in diametric opposition to what the founding fathers had in mind, and to that which made the USA what it WAS, and was intended to be.

edit on 24-1-2012 by NewAgeMan because: typo

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I consider it brainwashed because the establishment elite WANTS YOU DEPENDANT! So they spoonfeed you propaganda and ship jobs out of this country via NAFTA and GAT and devalue the dollar and continue to make terrible economic decisions, let the Fed Reserve run rampant with the mega banks, until everybody is dependant on the federal government and the mega-banks that wipe her ass. If people realized how wee a free society flourished, with intelligent non-harmful regulations to protect the government and its people from fraud, like how our society ran on the gold standard from 1835-1913 before the Federal Reserve central bank was finally created by the scum that took over Europe, we had roughly 10% annual growth in that time span. I suggest you all either download or buy "The American Dream" cartoon documentary, it is extremely revealing and you learn a lot about the fractional reserve banking system we have today and how Europe AND the United States both got taken over by the central bankers, and I think it mentions how JFK tried to stop them with Executive Order 11110 and was killed and LBJ (his vice president) repealed it immediately, lol.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by smarterthanyou

And this one, called "The Money Masters"

The Money Masters - How International Bankers Gained Control of America

Full length movie
video.google.ca...#

Just how much power do a few super wealthy families NEED, and what would happen if all that ENERGY (money is a type of power) was redirected and refocused in the RIGHT way? Might they still be able to save their souls?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Good for Tim Thomas! Respected him as a player, now respect him as a true patriot!

And I gotta hand it to all you Canuck fans. What are you, 0-3 now? I thought I had it bad before the 93' - 94' Finals...

Hey FlyersFan...how about that Winter Classic?

All in fun guys...Good to see we all have a lot in common.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by beanandginger

Kudos to Thomas and here's hoping other sports figures in bigger arenas follow suit.
edit on 24-1-2012 by beanandginger because: (no reason given)

Do we really want the loudest voices on beliefs in this country to be professional athletes, people on TV, voices from the radio, or movies. I applaud Thomas for standing up for his beliefs and I applaud him for not going to the white house (peacefull protest). It is possible to respect his country and not respect the man in the white house. It has been suggested on this thread that we need more role models like this in this country but I disagree. According to the dictionary a role model is someone to be emulated, but I think we need more people that make their own decisions, walk their own path, and take the time to way options. For all we know the next big athlete could stand up on live tv and say that he believes that governments around the world should come together to build the worlds largest screwdriver. Teaching kids to follow people they see in media and sports seems dangerous to me.

Again not meant to be an attack on Mr. Thomas. I feel he is totally in the right. But that is my opinion.
edit on 24-1-2012 by JuRySm because: Because I originally misspelled dictionary - Pretty funny right

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join