It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man with 'locked in syndrome' wants right to die

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
IMHO - Assisted suicide should be legal to everyone all around the world.
Certain safeguards should be in place of course to make sure people
aren't bullied into suicide. But it should be legal and available ...

Fox News - Man with Locked In Syndrome Wants Right To Die

Former rugby player Tony Nicklinson had a high-flying job as a corporate manager in Dubai, where he went skydiving and bridge-climbing in his free time. Seven years ago, he suffered a paralyzing stroke. Today he can only move his head, cannot speak and needs constant care.And he wants to die.

To try to ensure that whoever ends his life won't be jailed, the 57-year-old Nicklinson recently asked Britain's High Court to declare that any doctor who gives him a lethal injection with his consent won't be charged with murder. This week, the court will hold its first hearing on the case.

Oh .. and then there is this ...

He has refused since 2007 to take any life-prolonging drugs recommended by doctors, including heart drugs or blood thinners. He only takes medicines to make himself more comfortable, such as those to reduce muscle spasms

I understand that. I support him in his effort to be able to die with dignity.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
If the man wants to die on his terms, who are we to say he cannot? I give him my support, and like the OP I believe assisted suicide should be legal but only in cases where it makes sense. (I.e. killing yourself over heart break wouldn't be it. Killing yourself because you are 100% paralyzed IS.)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
He should go to Switzerland. They have quite a few "suicide tourists" coming from all over the world.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

You are talking about Dignitas in Switzerland? Yes they have tourist-suicide but considering his condition I don't know if he could make it AND I'm thinking this fella is kind of a pioneer, pushing for the rights of others who are suffering as well. At least that is what I see.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Why does he not just roll himself into the sea?.......
........Just Kidding He really should be able to do as he wishes with his life or whats left of it.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
My thought on this is that death is so permanent, life has so many possibilities, with the rate of advancement in medical technologies who knows what advancements tomorrow will bring...

And if not medicine who knows we could figure out a way to put him in a virtual reality of some kind where he could regain some sense of joy in life.

But barring that I see no problem with letting people die who wish to, thats their call.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Absolutely. The power of life and death should not be in the hands of government. It is our life, and our death. We should have the right to go out with peace and dignity if we are in a situation such as you describe.

In the states, we take extraordinary measures to keep somebody alive, even if that life is full of suffering, pain, and complete disability. We are fine with playing God when it comes to keeping somebody from dying, even though it is sometimes better that they pass....but somehow, when it comes to letting somebody go, suddenly we don't want to play God anymore.

I went through this situation when my father was in a car accident that left him brain damaged. After their poking, prodding, and introducing infection into his brain, he had a massive stroke which left him nothing more than a husk. I would hear him crying in my dreams, although never once in life did I hear him so much as whimper.

Talks with the doctors were fruitless, as they said that once a stomach tube and trach were in place, they couldn't legally remove them. One day, they asked if they could administer antibiotics for the many infections he was getting. He was contractured into a fetal position, full of bedsores, and tubes everywhere.

Our only option was to refuse antibiotic treatment, and let the MRSA destroy what was left of his body. It took 6 weeks from that point for him to pass away. The whole situation still makes me feel heartbroken 16 years later. He should have been euthanized and allowed to die in peace. He was a great believer of this right before the accident and I know that is what he would have wanted.

When somebody is helpless to end the agony, angels of mercy must step up and free them from a body which no longer functions. I hope I live long enough to see the day when euthanasia is legal.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
If the man wants to die on his terms, who are we to say he cannot? I give him my support, and like the OP I believe assisted suicide should be legal but only in cases where it makes sense. (I.e. killing yourself over heart break wouldn't be it. Killing yourself because you are 100% paralyzed IS.)

I'm sure you mean well, but consider this:
Assisted suicide is not suicide. There are 2 parties involved. The person who is going to die and the doctor giving him the lethal injection or drink. The action is commited by the doctor on request of the patient. This is called euthanasia and is a VERY complicated matter. It is legal here in Belgium (one of 3 countries world-wide), and I work for an organisation that promotes the right to euthanasia and patient rights in general. One very important criteria for euthanasia is that you are suffering intollerably, be it physically or mentally. Think about what you wrote. You are deciding for others what is intollerable and what is not. Even a doctor can't judge that, in my view. You are basically deciding for the whole of the human race what suffering is... In my own personal view, even a doctor or a psychiatrist is not up to that task. That is why there is a great need for a freely-available suicide pill. We need to take the doctor out of the equation.

Sorry, but I had to confront you on this. It's my job, litterally. As soon as I stop questioning these things, it will be time to look for another job.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yeah.. let this guy die. If there is no hope of him doing anything, but thinking for the rest of his life let him die. He must be miserable. This is one of my greatest fears. I would lost my mind, it would be a constant horror.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by soulwaxer

I wonder if the guy, since he is alive and of sound mind, could somehow become change citizenship, be taken there and have it done?

I doubt it, but wonder.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
"It's my life, I can do with it what I want"

is how it should be, the man wants to die and if he asked me to help him I would, I can't stand to see someone in that much pain and suffering.
it's like when my dog was ran over by a car and had it's back broken it was in so much pain I called the vet and he told me over phone there was nothing he could do but put him down.
Since my dog was in so much pain and couldn't move I did the only thing I knew to remove his suffering and I did it myself.

If I were in that same situation, suffering, locked inside my head, or in severe pain with no help of relief or stuck in a coma i would hope that someone would put me out of my misery. I told my mother ( I had a heart attack 5 years ago) that if I ever had a stroke and couldnt talk/type/communicate if I could at least swallow then overdose me, I will swallow just place the pills there. That way it would be me that did the swallowing.

but seriously they should let this man die as he wishes

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I personally wouldn't take assisted suicide, unless I were in immense physical pain and death was imminent. But really, how can we live in a country of supposed freedom, and yet deny someone the right to be euthanised if they wish? And the funny thing is, most people talk about wanting a small government, yet some of those very same people would seek to legislate matters such as these.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Its not up to the state who lives and who dies, no matter what the current authoritarian regime thinks. Hopefully this will pass.

Basically the man is being held prisoner against his will if he is not being permitted to leave his body when he pleases, and cannot take matters into his own hands.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I don't think anybody knows what they'd do in his position.

But this is his wish. It's his choice, not ours.

I find it ironic that we can commit suicide when we're physically able to but not otherwise.

Life isn't always a picnic. I get the feeling that people want to dictate that it's a picnic.

I mean, this guy is too confused to make his own choices. Life is a picnic!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
People are saying it should only be allowed if someone is in intollerable pain or is terminally ill ... but what is considered tolerable to one person is intollerable to another ... and the thought of suffering without end ... that's torture. If someone wants to go ... let 'em go. Now kids .. that's another story. That's a hard one. I wouldn't want to be the one to have to make that decision ....

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by soulwaxer

could he try to get to a Belgian embassy and have a belgen doctor euthanize him on the embassy grounds as they are soverign terriroty of there home county and not subject to local laws....might be the loop hole he needs if he dosent win his court case?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
People are saying it should only be allowed if someone is in intollerable pain or is terminally ill ... but what is considered tolerable to one person is intollerable to another ... and the thought of suffering without end ... that's torture. If someone wants to go ... let 'em go. Now kids .. that's another story. That's a hard one. I wouldn't want to be the one to have to make that decision ....

Adults should be able to make the decision when they please, for whatever reason they deem fitting. Anothers life is their own to do with as they desire, and is not the states business.

Kids dont know anything anyway, so they should not be allowed to make that decision while still in the custody of their parents, who have the responsibility of taking care of them and keeping them alive. However, when they are no longer dependent, they should then be allowed to with their life as they please.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This fellow needs to find a way to Switzerland.

If he has the capacity to let his wishes be known, then he has the right to make decisions about the course of his own life.

I have worked with hospice patients. Most of them are in great pain at their "natural" deaths. Many of them ask for but are denied overdoses. It is very sad to see. They hate it, and just want to go to sleep.

A lot of folks should try watching this documentary; it gives a good idea of the perspective of someone who is trapped in his own body:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Locked-in syndrome sufferer dies

Locked-in syndrome sufferer Tony Nicklinson, who lost his High Court battle last week for the legal right to end his life when he chooses with a doctor's help, has died, his lawyers said.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

Rest In Peace Tony,

Related News Articles
uk.news.yahoo.com...
uk.news.yahoo.com...
edit on 22-8-2012 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I was so sad to hear of the ruling, last week?, which denied him the right to die when he wanted!
Now he is gone which is also sad but for him a release at last!

Rest in peace Tony!

May the fight he fought not be in vain!

new topics

top topics

join