It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've found passages in the "Book of Mormon" that suggest conspiracy of Catholic Church

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I'm just wondering how many of those who slam the Book of Mormon have actually read it? In my opinion, the book needs to read before you can discount it.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MitchL61
I'm just wondering how many of those who slam the Book of Mormon have actually read it? In my opinion, the book needs to read before you can discount it.

Alas, this is the great problem that arises from those of different faiths.
They don't do any digging to find similarities or differences between each faith. They only hold onto their faith, blindly, considering theirs the best, and every other to be wrong.

When it comes to faith, and what you hold dear, it should not matter what you consider "right and wrong" when it comes to other religions. What should matter is what you feel in your heart. If you are of one religion, and someone else of another, you shouldn't concentrate on the fact that they are of different religions, but they too hold their faith dear to their hearts. That's what should matter, even if you don't agree with their views on some things. You are both human, you both hold faiths, and neither of you are wrong in what you hold dear.

With religion, there shouldn't be any "my god is better than your god." It should be "I have my god, and you have yours, yet we are the same as we both hold faith." Everyone should respect their fellow man with respect, even when views and faith on subjects differ.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
IF you believe that the Book of Mormon is nearly (or more than) 2000 years old, which is LDS doctrine that only LDS adherents believe, then, yes, these are baleful prophecies of something that might be the Catholic Church.

However, all non-Mormons (and some less-than-devout Mormons) believe that the Book of Mormon was written circa 1820 by Joseph Smith of New York, in which case these are pretended prophecies couched to describe things that already existed.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MitchL61

youtu.be...

As far as I'm concerned, Mormonism is an Alien worshipping Cult.
Seriously, the planet Kolob? Brass plates?

I guess the Dead Sea Scrolls weren't good enough.

I'm glad however that Mormons say they love Jesus but creating a book of their "own" and by making such outlandish claims as many as there are, tells me that they clearly didn't know when to quit.

Joseph Smith is not the only person in history who clearly wanted to BE Jesus.

-peace.

edit on 23-1-2012 by alilonthecheekyside because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2012 by alilonthecheekyside because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Believer101

I agree with you in part. I share your same views so far as allowing others to comfortably believe in their own faith without persecution. I believe there will be people from all faiths who will enter heaven. We know, if there is a God, (I believe there is) He would be a perfect being, possessing mercy and justice. In order for us to receive justice equitably, we would all have to be judged individually, according to the knowledge and circumstances we have been given. Jesus is the only one who is qualified to judge us, because He alone knows what our true thoughts and intentions are. Those who do not accept Christ's divinity will be judged accordingly. In order for God to be just and merciful, there would have to be a fixed punishment for all who transgress, but also a way to receive mercy. That is why the role of a savior was necessary. Those who are willing to accept Christ as the Son of God, and as our Savior, will be redeemed from the fixed punishment and receive mercy. Those who do not recognize Christ as Lord and Savior, will have to endure the fixed punishment for sin themselves, so as to answer the call of justice.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by alilonthecheekyside

You sound extremely misinformed. There are thousands of misconceptions about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I invite you to visit LDS.org, the churchs website. There you will find the 13 article of faith that describe the core of our beliefs.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
It's funny this passage should come up actually. As a member of the aforementioned church, I had a lesson on this section of the Book of Mormon just this Sunday.

Now my sunday school class always enjoys some lively conversation and we aren't afraid to ask questions so that we can all talk about it. Some one brought up the obvious comparison to the catholic church and asked whether that was actually what was being referred to in that passage. Well over the course of our discussion and with some reading from the lesson manual (which is available in full online at LDS.org, so long as you can figure out how to navigate the menus that is), we've basically determined that the great and abominable church is pretty much mad up of any church, faction, or entity that wars against the kingdom of God. Like if someone withing the church were to say... come to church every day, but secretly was a serial killer, then they'd be part of the the great and abominable church.

One of the more obvious conclusion drawn is that it's not a cut and paste thing. If you're a member of one church, you're not all members of the church of satan, and if you are member of another that seems more outwardly 'right' you're not all necessary saints. If you're actively fighting against the will of God, then you fall into the category of a member of the great and abominable church, as conversely, if you're actively trying to live a good life, you aren't counted a member of that church.

Shocking I know...

But yeah, that's just my two bits.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

You sound extremely misinformed. There are thousands of misconceptions about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I invite you to visit LDS.org, the churchs website. There you will find the 13 article of faith that describe the core of our beliefs.

I believe there will be people from all faiths who will enter heaven. We know, if there is a God, (I believe there is) He would be a perfect being, possessing mercy and justice.

I have The Holy Bible to look to dear, I do not need to look to some belief that tells people they will inherit "their own Planet as a reward, etc."

Mormonism is not Christianity. No matter how many times you tell yourself it is.
Why not just be a "Christian"? Because maybe being a Christian is just too hard or it won't allow for you to mold God into whatever YOU want Him to be.

Which is why you agree with people who say that people of "All faiths" will go to Heaven. Who is the misinformed one...

-peace and God bless you, really!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I believe there will be people from all faiths who will enter heaven.

I find this statement rather funny considering it totally contradicts your Mormon faith. Per joseph smith the only way to salvation is through temple and priesthood ritual and god’s judgment after death will place you in one of the three kingdoms.
I know this for I’m an ex Mormon, forced into the church by controlling parents, also banished by said parents due to my apostate status (can you feel the love, where is the acceptance). I am not the only, there are many like me, the church has no tolerance for outsiders and considers them unsaved and unclean.
To sum up the Mormon church all I can say is, it’s written like scientology and practiced like Islam.
nuff said

edit on 23-1-2012 by minesweeper because: to fix quote

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Before reading this remember that i dont believe any religion at the moment and i was a southern babtist for the first twelve years of my life. I hate to tell you this but any religion that believes in Jesus Christ as the son of god is infact a christian hence the name. Its kind of funny that somebody saying they will get a planet as reward for there belief is any less crazy then anything any other religion believes. In the view of most people was earth not created for us, are we not going to either heaven were the whole place is ridiculously covered in precious metals and pearl or going to a firey pit do burn and be butt raped by gods true first born son the king of pride. The funny thing is satan gets a bad rap but if you think about it why was he cast out. Because of his pride, now if he has that much pride he would never lie to us for lose of it. Honesty id prefer it any day over a flaming sword coming out the mouth over the reincarnation of jesus.
edit on 24-1-2012 by darknull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by alilonthecheekyside

Which is why you agree with people who say that people of "All faiths" will go to Heaven. Who is the misinformed one...

-peace and God bless you, really!

See, it's people of faith like you who made me post this comment. Why is it such a problem if OP believes people of all faiths will go to heaven? How does that make OP misinformed? What is so wrong with accepting people of other faiths?
Your god states "love thy neighbor as thyself." meaning Love everyone as you love yourself. He also states "judge not, lest ye be judged." You have no right, according to your god, to judge others, yet you're judging.
Honestly, sounds like you're the misinformed one.

No offence, but it's Christians like you that make me ashamed to share humanity with and that made me leave the church when I was a teen.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by darknull

Please note the part about The lie that "We can be Gods".
Satan gets a Bad Rap? Are you kidding me??? Good Grief!
2 Thessalonians 2

Cred where cred is due, enduringword.com - DavidGuzik(BibleCommentaries)

=Peace & Love 4 all!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

You have no right, according to your god, to judge others, yet you're judging.

No, you mis-understand! I am NOT judging anyone as you would have people believe. The general acceptance that ALL faiths go to Heaven is not an new concept. It's just that now-a-days it has been pre-packaged and presented to the "world" as a New Age belief!

I don't appreciate you trying to pigeonhole me as a Bible-thumping Hypocrite! I have a great deal of Love for my fellow man...including You! So there...chill out babe!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Where is the original Book kept and can you post pictures of the original please?

I have not read it (nor do I plan to) but I'm curious as to what it looks like.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by darknull
any religion that believes in Jesus Christ as the son of god is infact a christian

No that is not at all true.
Christian is someone who follows the teachings of Christ;
NOT the teachings of the 'holy father (pope)', not the
teachings of mr.smith(mormon), again . . . the definition of
a Christian is someone who follows non but the teachings of Christ.

Through my geneaology
I found that George W Bush's greatx6-grandfather is my greatx7-grandfather.

And your point ? ? ?
Why is geneaology an obsession with mormons ? ? ?
Following the teachings of Christ, didn't Christ say " there is neither
jew or greek, there is neither . . . " Galatians 3:28
I take offense to mormons listing my family tree in
denominations without permission. Legally one would think
this violates privacy laws.
However, for each there own. If mormons think that it doesn't
contradict the Christian teaching to have golden-calf statues-idols at
their main temple as they do then that's their business, but please don't
say that you follow the teachings of Christ (it's not so).
Anyway, this thread and it's I'm holier then you belief reminded
me of this- LOL tooo funny > (short commic clip) :
www.youtube.com...

edit on 24/1/12 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by minesweeper

The church does not preach that only Mormons will go to heaven. As you mentioned, we believe in varying degrees of heaven. In order to enter the highest kingdom (Celestrial) one would have to have certain ordinances performed. These ordinances are perfomed in the temples. However, the work needed to enter the celestrial kingdom will continue after this life. If you were a member, then you should know that much of the work being done in the temples is on behalf of the deceased.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Maybe you are right... maybe we should all read relgious text like this. I should, honestly I am in the wrong, i've discarded a book of mormon myself, in order to get the Hindu gita over it. Maybe, i was prejudice to the mormon. Maybe, I can learn

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaykun

We discussed the same things in our Sunday school class, and we came to the same conclusion. There are only two churches, the church of God, and the church of the devil. However, I feel due to the descriptive nature of Nephi's vision. that what he saw was the Catholic church.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Oh my giddy aunt the irony of it, a morman citing conspiracy of the catholic church ,the book of mormon couldnt have been improved by marvel comics

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Obviously you didn’t read my full post, I did mention the three stages of heaven and they are reserved for christens only per Mormon doctrine. the highest for the holiest of Mormons, second for the lazy Mormons and the third for those who only accept Christ. The rest are damned per smiths writings, with that being said Again your wrong, one of the steps to being saved is to be baptized in the church. Not being baptized before death you remain in spiritual prison i.e. you are unsaved hence baptisms for the dead(which you just mentioned). This is also true in the bible, to except Christ you must be baptized for your sins. And just to add one more thing, baptizing has to be of your own free will and your choice, no one can perform it for you. Another hole in your belief system and contradictory to the bible.

trust me, i've spent my time in hell, i mean church

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join