It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Boot Won't Boot With New Memory Installed :(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The PC has 4 slots with only 2 being used up, each containing 512mb. Being not too sure what type of RAM to get I spoke with a computer tech guy I know who directed me to this website www.crucial.com...

That got me got me the following information:

System Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS
System Model: M2R-FVM
Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Motherboard Model: M2R-FVM

It also told me that the PC could take a maximum of 8gb RAM.

The tech guy got back to me with this "Thanks for the information. It seems you have an ASUS M2R-FVM motherboard. I've found the manual for it here: www.mirosupport.de...

Looks like it takes DDR2 667 memory with a maximum limit of 2GB. Doesn't really make it clear if that's the limit per slot or overall"

With the knowledge that the machine could supposedly take up to 8gb, it seemed logical that his was a max of 2gb per slot. So I ordered 2x 2gb DDR2 PC667 Memory modules.

Unfortunately when I install these the machine will no longer boot up. It just keeps beeping at me.

Help?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Memory: 4 x 240-pin DIMM DDR2 sockets Dual-channel memory architecture 667/533 MHz memory modules max 2GB (with dual-channel memory)

from here so its 2gb total so 4 sticks of 512mb

so you'd better return the memory and swap it for something else

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
didn't look at the manual but 2gb will be overall if thats what it says.put your old ram in and use the built in asus program to update motherboard(not at desktop,on tablet so can't remember name)the board must be about 5 years old if only 2gb?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
If it is the correct RAM, make sure it is seated properly. Try booting the PC without the added sticks and see what happens. Then add another stick and so on. Sometimes you can clean the RAM leads with an eraser (dust off shavings afterwards of course) and it will help out as well. Here are your Motherboards ram specs:

The motherboard comes with four Double Data Rate 2 (DDR2) Dual Inline
Memory Modules (DIMM) sockets.
A DDR2 module has the same physical dimensions as a DDR DIMM but has
a 240-pin footprint compared to the 184-pin DDR DIMM. DDR2 DIMMs are
notched differently to prevent installation on a DDR DIMM socket."

Source: www.xxpeter2.ic.cz...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

There you go, that would be the issue

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The single beep means that the Power up Selft Test of the hardware has passed.

Mulitiple beeps mean the memory or video aren't communicating with the motherboard and it's BIOS.

Memory can be defective but before reaching that conclusion Try resetting the memory by popping it out and reinstalling.

Also make sure and verify that the motherboard supports the 2GB memory modules....by referencing the manual.

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
What happens if you put the original ram back in? If you get the same thing after you get the original configuration of ram, then you may have damaged the board via ESD (electrostatic discharge) which I have learned the hard way. What speed and size is the ram that you bought? does the speed/clock match the old ram?
edit on 23-1-2012 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Everyone can stop answering now.

2GB total is all that it will support.

Best option...return the memory for credit towards a new PC.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

Memory: 4 x 240-pin DIMM DDR2 sockets Dual-channel memory architecture 667/533 MHz memory modules max 2GB (with dual-channel memory)

from here so its 2gb total so 4 sticks of 512mb

so you'd better return the memory and swap it for something else

Well that really does suck
But looking at that link, further down the page it says this:

Q: How do the memory modules have be organized so that 4GB can be used? Is the board able to utilize 2*2GB modules?
A: yes you can get 2+2GB modules. Xp is catching about 3gb. under win7 he finds all 4gb.

Originally posted by glen200376
didn't look at the manual but 2gb will be overall if thats what it says.put your old ram in and use the built in asus program to update motherboard(not at desktop,on tablet so can't remember name)the board must be about 5 years old if only 2gb?

Yeah it's pretty old. Really I need a new PC but I simply can't afford one o I'm having to try and make the best out of what I've got.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
Everyone can stop answering now.

2GB total is all that it will support.

Best option...return the memory for credit towards a new PC.

This guy is right, get 2x 1GB sticks. Crucial will automatically scan your system and tell you which RAM is compatible but if you want better quality (ie. cooling attachments) RAM then I would look up which kind of mobo you have and get some compatible RAM on Amazon

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DJKris

As much as I hate Best Buy, I checked out their website when I bought ram for my computer. bestbuy.upgradebase.com... Enter your specs and stuff and it will tell you all you need to know about the memory for your computer.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DJKris

If it wont start up, make sure the Ram is placed in there correctly push on it just to make sure its in all the way. Another possibility is one Ram stick could be going bad and you need to find the bad one and get rid of it.

Or one of the new ones is dead, what I would do is take all the Ram cards out and test the new ones one by one. Just put 1 of the new ones in the computer and see if it starts up thats how u find the bad one
edit on 23-1-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yep, Make sure the ram is seated properly. If it is and it still wont boot. Try your old ram again for the time being.

Have crucial scan your system with their scanning tool and then order the ram that they tell you to order, directly from their site.

You can usually get 2GB kits for about 30$ or less.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hektik1

Unfortunately while Crucial will scan my system, when it comes to selecting the model to find upgrades mine doesn't seem to be in the list.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
PROGRESS UPDATE:
I just decided to try one more time, so I put it just one of the new 2gb modules, without the old 512mb and it's working, so I'm now gonna try adding the 2nd one.

UPDATE 2:
2nd module is now working too. But it says 4 GB installed but only 3.25 GB usable?

UPDATE 3:
I've now got both new module in and the old ones (2x 2gb + 2x 512mb) it's now saying 5 GB installed but still only 3.25 GB usable?

I have another unrelated problem though if anyone can suggest what the problem might be. My Logitech wireless keyboard started working really slow a couple of days ago and unless I type very slowly to it misses out letters as I type. I changed the batteries earlier but no difference.
edit on 23/1/12 by DJKris because: More information added

edit on 23/1/12 by DJKris because: Another update

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
you wont get the use of anything over 3.25gb of ram using a 32bit os unless you mess with PAE which can cause more trouble than its worth so going over 3gb generally requires the 64 bit version of the OS

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
you wont get the use of anything over 3.25gb of ram using a 32bit os unless you mess with PAE which can cause more trouble than its worth so going over 3gb generally requires the 64 bit version of the OS

Thanks. It's still a lot more than I had before. Now if only I can work out what's wrong with my keyboard

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJKris
PROGRESS UPDATE:
I just decided to try one more time, so I put it just one of the new 2gb modules, without the old 512mb and it's working, so I'm now gonna try adding the 2nd one.

UPDATE 2:
2nd module is now working too. But it says 4 GB installed but only 3.25 GB usable?

UPDATE 3:
I've now got both new module in and the old ones (2x 2gb + 2x 512mb) it's now saying 5 GB installed but still only 3.25 GB usable?

I have another unrelated problem though if anyone can suggest what the problem might be. My Logitech wireless keyboard started working really slow a couple of days ago and unless I type very slowly to it misses out letters as I type. I changed the batteries earlier but no difference.
edit on 23/1/12 by DJKris because: More information added

edit on 23/1/12 by DJKris because: Another update

One thing to note is the speed of the memory sticks. RAM speed will only go as fast as the slowest sticks you have installed. The chances are that the new 2x 2gb you have installed are probably faster than the old 2x 512mb but the overall memory speed will only go as fast as the 2x 512mb sticks.

Seeing as you are running a 32bit system which will only recognize 4gb anyway i would advise that you check the speed of your old RAM sticks and if they are running at a lower speed remove them as it will give you a performance increase of the overall read and write speed of your RAM.

- PhoenixOD (Microsoft certified professional)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I may as well take the old ones out anyway since the new ones take me up to 4gb so the old ones are now redundant.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
In the manual it states 4x240pin dimm sockets and a max memory of 2gb in dual channel so that would mean a max of 512mb per socket to max out you need 4 sticks of 512mb RAM running at a strange usually laptop 667 most m/b's support the 666 RAM instead.
The ram should be matched pairs i.e same color socket same RAM module Brand Speed etc...
But saying that all the info you need is here LINK you may need to do a BIOS update.

top topics

join