It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tor (anonymity network)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
Well it doesnt work from behind the great fricking firewall here in China..... Sent and recieved 0.kbs of data.

Ah and they aren't messing with it neither...

how-great-firewall-china-blocks-tor

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by PapagiorgioCZ
I would like to know some other tools. What about programs changing your IP in few second interval?
Tor changes your IP every 10 minutes (meaning the IP of your exit node, that the destination non onion sites see).

I think the MaxCircuitDirtiness option in Tor will change this default if you wish, but I haven't tried changing the setting: www.torproject.org...

I'm not sure why you'd want it to change every few seconds, that seems excessive.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
So there's no deep net and all the lower levels stuff in China? Then it's not such a big deal.

I should propably read the thread first...
edit on 23/1/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
let me be a little more clear, there are no such thing as "levels" on the Internet, the NET or however you want to
label it. the "internet" is a network of networks, think of it as a giant mesh, or a spider web. each "network"
connects to another network, and so on.

and every "device" or "node" on the Network or Internet has its own IP address. this, is how the internet routing can find things. but, its DNS that enables users to find thing things via names instead of IP addresses. search engines such as google or Bing index things so you can find them via keyword searches.

a "darknet", is just a space thats not indexed, and or is "off" the main part of the NET. accessible via VPN, secure
portal what have you. these .onion sites are just that...

there is no magical levels for you to figure out, or hack into to gain the secret knowledge. and the levels, are just
being used to describe something in an abstract way, that's just making it more confusing for people.

think of it this way, the NET is a city, and there are good parts and bad parts. the bad parts are less taken care of, ie, no street lights, etc....

edit on 23-1-2012 by Ghostinshell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
what level is this site on ?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
China tries to block tor but can't
Thanks to bridge relays. I run 3 bridge relays for folks in china/iran/libya and others
There's a lot of us that provide unreported bridges to countries so they get uncensored Internet
And offer encryption to countries that our "government" think are our enemies.

edit on 1/23/2012 by Cito because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghostinshell

I consider the "levels" thing as more of way to categorize different areas of the internet. I was unaware that anyone called different parts of the internet "levels" until I saw this thread. You're right in the fact that it doesn't really make sense.
Regarding TOR (in regards to the "deep web"): I consider it more of a way to access certain materials with a bit more ease than just wandering around on the internet, what with the hidden wiki and all that. With it being an "anonymous" network, more people are going to be inclined to give a bit more of a starting location for accessing certain materials. The fact that you can't access anything without knowing the onion URLs does add to a general understanding that it's "secret" and/or "hidden", but there is more to the deep web than just that.

More directly related to the "levels" aspect of the "deep web": Saying that you can't get to "level three" or below without some sort of "special means" is a bit inaccurate. It is entirely possible to access a wealth of information and/or "dark" content without using proxies and/or various other network protocols. It's not smart (or safe), but it is nonetheless possible.

At some point, however, there will be some content that is not available without said "special means".

As far as "levels five through eight", given the descriptions I have seen of them, you would need some sort of low level access to... something. I have no idea what you would need to access these areas... Or how, provided they exist.

That's my understanding at least.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xmaox

sure, as i said the "levels" things is just a way to describe something, along game theory lines. but, its not even close to how networks work, and in the long term just confuses things.

and, yes, Darknets; many have access controls on them. and, you only get access if someone knows you. even
the NET has these things, only going thru TOR, just adds the .onion stuff.

and, the whole point, of the tor .onion stuff, is you only get access if you know about it. sorta model; this, model
of the hacker underground is very old. nothing new, even the NET does this; sites with no domain name attached
searchable only buy a random string sorta thing.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

***ATTENTION***

Let me remind everyone that you agreed to abide by the TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE when you registered.

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

Make sure you are not discussing illegal activities or your post will be actioned and you could be post banned.

Thank you

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
hehe, I figured this site had it's own version of "SOPA"

you can "deny ignorance" just a little bit, but don't enlighten anyone to the truth or could get you banned.

btw Pot is legal in many countries and in medically in California.and several states.

it makes ATS a target for gov agencies...

how about we NOT do that since we all like the site eh? besides, they didnt close the thread, just asking that you dont promote illegal activity, which using tor isnt.
edit on 1/23/2012 by Question Fate because: edit

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well if anyone with Tor wants to get into the darknet stuff

The hidden wiki: kpvz7ki2v5agwt35.onion...

Wikileaks: suw74isz7wqzpmgu.onion...
instructions from wikileaks here: http://__._/wiki/WikiLeaks:Tor

a tor search engine that tries to index hidden .onion sites as the .onion site owners mention them: 5kdgyjnpcihfzskc.onion...

lot of the raw bradley manning documents are there as well before they were indexed by wikileaks, as well as content of emails between Bradley and others.

also the megaupload folks that weren't arrested are posting on onion forum and giving updates they are moving servers and will have another site up soon.

and of course you can buy anything on the darknet and I'll say from experience many placed work perfectly

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

***ATTENTION***

Let me remind everyone that you agreed to abide by the TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE when you registered.

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

Make sure you are not discussing illegal activities or your post will be actioned and you could be post banned.

Thank you

i hope i don't get banned

this is a difficult topic to cover i think, over the last few months the chat on this deep web has been all over the internet on many different sites & blogs, i have seen it on six different sites seven including this one, i have been following this thread & some people have apparently posted links to places down there & i myself have not clicked on any of them & i would think most others would be careful not to click on them either,

there is mentions on the normal wiki site about what sort of illegal stuff is down there like drugs, hacking etc but does talking about how to use or access the deep web fall foul of the ATS Ts&Cs ?

i hope i am not out of line or anything like that by replying to a Admin like this, but this thread has really opened my eyes to what really is about on the net & it is also one of the most interesting threads i have ever read.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

***ATTENTION***

Thank you

I don't know dude we're talking about proxies no doobies
but pertaining to IT Security I'm sorry but you might want to pick your fights on that one as laws vary too much per countries into this field... Some countries will allow you to get away with pretty much anything and others will try to get you the electric chairs...

PS: I hear they now have "Energy Star" electric chairs, takes a bit longer but the bill looks so much better...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DanaKatherineScully

reply to post by _R4t_

Don't make this more complicated than it is. Tor has legal uses, you can discuss those.

Tor has illegal uses. The T&C doesn't allow discussion of those.

Everything on this page is about the legal use of Tor: Tor Overview

You could also say the internet has both illegal and legal uses right? Some people do illegal hacking without even using Tor. You can't discuss that either.

But we discuss legal uses of the internet all the time. Tor is just an extension of the internet.

edit on 23-1-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by DanaKatherineScully

reply to post by _R4t_

Don't make this more complicated than it is. Tor has legal uses, you can discuss those.

Tor has illegal uses. The T&C doesn't allow discussion of those.

Everything on this page is about the legal use of Tor: Tor Overview

You could also say the internet has both illegal and legal uses right? Some people do illegal hacking without even using Tor. You can't discuss that either.

But we discuss legal uses of the internet all the time. Tor is just an extension of the internet.

edit on 23-1-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

Yes and I totally agree,

It wasn't in my expectation I just wanted to let mods know to not see something that "sounds" bad and ban someone for no reason just because they come from a foreign country and doesn't know its not here... I've seen it happen in the past on some other boards so...

Just covering some rears

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
well I for one am glad for this thread.... there have been some pretty decent posts scattered throughout what has otherwise been a FUNNY and frightening romp through the different ATS stock personality types posting styles.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by UkRandom

Originally posted by UkRandom
have a read of this
http:///rrf3xHZB

is it fiction?
is it fact?
its not for me to tell you is it

and im sure i`ll have members jumpin on this post saying "you dunno jack gtfo no0bie"
We didn't even have to say "you don't know jack", you called your own source "98% pure garbage"

Originally posted by UkRandom
same as pastebin yes 98% is pure garbage BUT the 2% well you draw your own conclusion

it is what it is...make of it what you will ...
And worse yet, you didn't even say what 2% you thought might not be garbage.

If you do get banned, it's hard to say your posts containing sources with 98% garbage by your own admission will be missed..you realize this doesn't give you much credibility, right? Since you don't even say which 2% isn't garbage, it's hard to understand why you even posted it. I didn't find any 2% that wasn't garbage.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Cito

Originally posted by Cito
China tries to block tor but can't
Thanks to bridge relays. I run 3 bridge relays for folks in china/iran/libya and others
There's a lot of us that provide unreported bridges to countries so they get uncensored Internet
And offer encryption to countries that our "government" think are our enemies.

edit on 1/23/2012 by Cito because: (no reason given)

How do you do that? I mean, it's not the same thing as to check option "help censored users reach the Tor network"? You have to do it manually by copy-paste IP from this site: bridges.torproject.org... ?? In the first case it is somehow reported-censored or what?
I like that idea of helping censored Chinese, Iranian, (soon American
) people so much... It just has to be done. Everyone should do it for them. Anyone disagrees?

PS: btw I don't like what seems to be "down there". Maybe it really should be stopped but I bet it won't because world is obviously ruled by the same devil which encourages those lowest temptations in people.
And it propably can't be done anyway. Even if it could the worst people would find another way as they always did even in the worst regimes.
(Even if no police or government can trace them people gotta keep in mind that one day Someone will be able to show them a complete log. I use Tor with that in mind: "For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.")
edit on 24/1/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/1/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/1/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join