It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chuck Todd Rips Stephen Colbert's Presidential Run, - "What Is Colbert's Agenda?"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

"He is making a mockery of the system," Todd said. "...Is it fair to the process? Yes, the process is a mess, but he's doing it in a way that feels like he's trying to influence it with his own agenda and that may be anti-Republican."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I was a big fan of Colbert before Obama came into power
But when he did, he stopped thinking as critically an is fairly soft on the left

But Chuck Todd is right, what is Colbert's agenda?
What was the purpose of Colbert testifying before Congress about immigration in character and the purpose of them agreeing?
That was most definately a mockery of the system

But I disagree with Chuck when he says partisan wars are good, they need to talk about it
ya but that talking is just a facade

But this is mostly about Colbert
Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It is a satire of what our system has become. It is being done beautifully and is making the point about "Super-Pacs" that needs made. What is sad is that his satire is so much more truthful than the reality. IMO if this offends you but the system does not you are part of the structure dismantling this country. I hope he pushes the farce to the utmost extreme, just like the ones who pretend they are not the joke.Maybe then the reality will sink in just how low we have sunk.
APB

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Colbert's Agenda:

Shake things up and make people laugh

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Thanks for posting that! It was very interesting.

I was a big fan of Colbert before Obama came into power
But when he did, he stopped thinking as critically an is fairly soft on the left

I think he's still pretty critical, but he is more liberal than conservative, that's for sure. So, he is more critical of the right because he agrees more with the left. He's still not afraid to criticize Obama when he does disagree.

But Chuck Todd is right, what is Colbert's agenda?

I think his motive is love of country. He wants to show how ridiculously flawed our election process is. "Corporations are people" regarding elections and SuperPACS drive the flow of information with NO accountability. He's showing how that can be abused and mess with the people's choice.

I applaud Colbert in his actions. I'm glad people are taking notice and getting uncomfortable. They SHOULD be uncomfortable with the way we run our presidential elections.

What was the purpose of Colbert testifying before Congress about immigration in character and the purpose of them agreeing?

I totally missed that story. This is the first I've heard of it. I have some googling to do.
edit on 1/21/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Genius -- go ahead tell me Citizens United was best thing to ever happen to American Democracy and Colbert is absolutely wrong -

Colbert / Stewart are American Heroes for putting a spotlight on this -- if it makes the right wing uncomfortable good perhaps they will start looking further out than than the tip of their noses -- I sticking with the"long game" guys

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

He's a comedian as a profession.
The Colbert the world sees is a fake creation, a character... for comedic purposes.
His agenda is comedy... and some may say he is a comedic genius.
And for him to take his act that far...he has to be.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I don't think Colbert has gone soft on the left as much as the right has went nuts personally. Stupidity in politics will always become the butt of political satire, regardless of the satirist's political leanings. Obama has done much to irritate his base and plenty of the talking heads, have called him out on it many times. The Republican Party has turned their primary season into a circus, and the only thing more appalling then the candidates themselves in most cases are the people giving them money to run. The only thing that could have possibly been worse is if the Democrats also had a primary this year.

What Colbert is doing is pretty important, he is making people ask who the hell this guy is? Bringing ever more focus onto the fact how you vote, is likely to be determined by who spent the most money. There is no reason our political leaders should have to be super rich or friends with the super rich to run for office. The only thing that does is make us slaves to them, because the only real interest they have is in staying super rich.

There is a certain importance to the partisan battles. But the truly important part of those battles, compromise has been thrown to the curb in favor of this winner take all mentality that is destroying us. The Republicans like to say Founding Fathers this Founding Fathers that, but the truth of it is they were just as ideologically varied and complex as we are now. They had no uniform vision, they constructed a document that is the product of compromise. Having the ability to say it isn't everything I wanted, but it is fair. We as a nation have lost that ability. It doesn't matter who started what at this point, and it is time the people fire everyone of them that does not have that ability.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think he's still pretty critical, but he is more liberal than conservative, that's for sure. So, he is more critical of the right because he agrees more with the left. He's still not afraid to criticize Obama when he does disagree.

I see what you are saying but I guess since I was a big fan of his in the past, saw almost every episode, it's a huge let down to see him being pro-dem party instead of just a true liberal.

Since i'm still kind of new to politics... well when I started watching the news and current events and politics my internet explorer front page was MSNBC both at home and at work for a long time
From Colbert to MSNBC, everything changed after Obama got into power
they became sellouts, if that never happened I'd probably be way more left leaning than now

Only because my opinion was still being shaped

I think his motive is love of country. He wants to show how ridiculously flawed our election process is. "Corporations are people" regarding elections and SuperPACS drive the flow of information with NO accountability. He's showing how that can be abused and mess with the people's choice.

I applaud Colbert in his actions. I'm glad people are taking notice and getting uncomfortable. They SHOULD be uncomfortable with the way we run our presidential elections.

I hear you on that but he's not only mocking PAC ads and candidates he's runing his own pac Ads in SC right now, on TV.
Don't mock the system during voting time imo

I totally missed that story. This is the first I've heard of it. I have some googling to do.

Really?
I watched those videos like 3 times because I found it funny
It was all over the news at that time

Check the videos out on youtube, hilarious

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Its clearly Parody what Colbert and Stewart are doing, they are holding up a mirror to the political process showing how ridiculously stupid we have allowed it to become, PACs and corporations are clearly their target.

NOW the conspiracy side of me kicks in...

Wow they sure are deflecting alot of attention from Ron Paul, the Colbert voters age group is Ron Pauls Demo, so taking a huge hit to RP in this process...

Both Stewart and Colbert are EMPLOYEES reading SCRIPTS, how much of that is influenced by the Corporations that employ them?

Just kinda funny to me.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I became more interested in political US media coverage recently (mainly because of your 2012 elections) and asked Americans for "good" media outlets.
I was very surprised when the Colbert Report and the Daily Show were recommended, since both are comedy.

It's a pretty devastating verdict for the "real" media outlets when some comedians do the better job... no wonder they are a little pissed about it.

edit on 21-1-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Personally, I think it shows how little faith I have in the system that I would choose Stephen Colbert as my President over almost every single candidate out there. I think Stephen Colbert's satire is amazing - if can make even a couple people uncomfortable enough to wake up to the problems of the system, then he has succeeded. That is his function - to wake us up to our own ridiculousness. I think he is doing an admirable job and he and Jon Stewart are more trustworthy news sources, in my opinion, than most MSM sources. They are not obligated to do anything but make us laugh, and the truth, in my opinion and in the opinion of Comedy Central, is a lot more ridiculous than the happy lies that society keeps trying to make us believe.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I use to like the Jon Stewart show and Colbert Report but personally I think Colbert has gone over the top. I am no great Republican and really don't care about that aspect. He has put the spotlight on the PAC's and the utter nonsense that is allowed by them to collect money and control elections. However he seems to be going into space with his show about like Glen Beck. I started watching him and he just got further into space. I was so happy when they finally got him off the air. I certainly haven't watched anything of his since then. I don't know if its the networks or the writers?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think the system makes a complete mockery of itself at this point. Stephen Colbert has nothing to do with The SCOTUS ruling in favor of Citizens United.

The system )if we can still refer to it as one) is a clear indication of everything that is wrong with this country.
The American flag should have one giant '$' on a light green backround. That symbol is the driving and deciding force of everything that happens in Govt. Everything. Nothing is for the people. Excuse me; the corporations are now people, so everything is for the people.

Yeah. Stephen Colbert makes a mockery out of the system. That's pretty rich.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I agree Colbert is very Liberal and very critical of the Right. Personally I don't find him funny at all.. I'd much rather watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart even though he too is left leaning, at least he's funny and makes fun of everyone.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Stephen Colbert might come off as too realistic for you to laugh at. He plays at being a bat $#it crazy republican. He does it very well too. Watching Fox news is the same thing as watching Colbert, only Fox news is dead serious. That is why people love Stephen Colbert. He is hilarious.

I don't know how he keeps a straight face while spewing some of the crap that comes out of his mouth. I understand why Bill Oreilly doesn't laugh. He actually believes the crap.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I think he moves everyone closer to the center ...That is a good place to at least talk to one another and gives us the ability to laugh at ourselves as well ....Seems funny them calling him serious when we all know that he is ...Now if the media could be as serious we wouldn't have to get the news the way we do ..I like him ..peace

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I hear you on that but he's not only mocking PAC ads and candidates he's runing his own pac Ads in SC right now, on TV.

That is the perfect time to mock the system. It points out the idiocy of our electoral system to people who otherwise wouldn't notice it. Once Colbert comes in first in a primary, then the ball really starts rolling.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I don't think he's mocking the system. He's revealing its tragic flaws.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Indeed:

He's revealing its tragic flaws.

A thread here.

And, a "great" post (
):

"Here, Colbert is skewering the whole thing...." (Super PACs)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Colbert is a professional troll he has no agenda, at best all he's doing is making satire out of our crazy political system. He has a funny show and I like it I wished he was more critical of the left, but its GOP session what with the election coming up so I can't blame him.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join