It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee and New York in 'war' over gun rights and common sense

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm from TN and lived in NYC for 6 years, guns have no place in NYC, although they are obviously there.

The one thing gun laws in NYC don't apply to (which is a damn shame) is the worst gang of them all, The NYPD.

I lived there for six years, in Manhattan would have never needed a gun once, not even almost needed a gun. Sure things can happen, but guns just make it worse.

I can totally see the NYPD dealing with that woman, and lets get real she's an idiot. Who takes a gun on vacation? Get real lady.

Gangs in Manhattan are not a "problem" as I do not know of anyone in the six years I lived there that has any run in's or problems. In Queen's, yes, Brooklyn, yes, Brox, of course, Harlem, yup... but even so it's rare. Gang activity usually affect other Gang activity... USUALLY, i'm not saying all the time.

Again though, what an idiot that woman is for asking to "check her weapon" hahaha, she deserve's 3 years for being an absolute numbskull.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BiffJordan

Again though, what an idiot that woman is for asking to "check her weapon" hahaha, she deserve's 3 years for being an absolute numbskull.

This is what our nation has become, a nation filled with ignoramuses that sneer and laugh and call people idiots simply for exercising their unalienable rights.

Perhaps your children will laugh and sneer and call people idiots for simply speaking their opinions, or (God forbid) they visit you in jail laughing, sneering, and calling you an idiot for exercising your unalienable right to speech.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Also if she was dumb enough to take a gun downtown to the financial district then she is obviously dumb enough to "jump the gun" on any situation that was unique to her simple Tennessee brain.

The more I think about this the more I laugh, and the more I realize she deserves it. For someone dumb enough to bring a loaded weapon to WTC Memorial (LOL, "I'm gonna kiwll me sum al kayeda if thuy mess with meay!") then she is not responsible enough to own a weapon.

Lady you have embarrassed yourself and the state of Tennessee (which doesn't need much help).

Though, people of the forum like I said, I'm a New Yorker, and a Tennessean, and a Gemini.... so this situation really has me torn up. Part Redneck who first started shooting at the age of 3, and been doing plays and drinking too much coffee since 18....

She's still an idiot though.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The more I think about this the more I laugh, and the more I realize she deserves it. For someone dumb enough to bring a loaded weapon to WTC Memorial (LOL, "I'm gonna kiwll me sum al kayeda if thuy mess with meay!") then she is not responsible enough to own a weapon.

Lady you have embarrassed yourself and the state of Tennessee (which doesn't need much help).

Wait...you're actually thinking? Damn! That's got to be embarrassing for both the State of New York and Tennessee to have you representing both states with all of this "thought" of yours.

You are essentially arguing that people who actually carry their guns don't have the right to own them. There's some "thought" for you.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Perhaps your children will laugh and sneer and call people idiots for simply speaking their opinions, or (God forbid) they visit you in jail laughing, sneering, and calling you an idiot for exercising your unalienable right to speech.

Get real. Bottom line, you don't need guns in a city where at any moment there are nearly 10 million people crowding the streets. Why? What if you drop it, it's possible to go off and more likely to hit a civilian than an add board. Or it goes through the floor and hits one of the many people crowded in your building.

Or your on the subway and someone gets mugged, what are you gonna do SHOOT HIM? Come on, the law isn't yours to make. Plus this example just proves due to the laws guns are nothing but trouble in NY, you can't take them anywhere.

Also there are so many reasons to get pissed off and shoot someone just by living in that hellish city that the gun laws actually make sense.

Plus when the little "g's" from the outer borough's do decide to get a hot weapon and then they get caught, they spend a good amount of time behind bars so the rest of the civilized world don't have to deal with them.

edit on 21-1-2012 by BiffJordan because: technical edit

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
You are essentially arguing that people who actually carry their guns don't have the right to own them. There's some "thought" for you.

Well, yes I am saying that someone who needs to carry a gun in NYC has no place in NYC. We don't need that kind of attitude or behavior there. In other town's and states it may makes more sense. If you have lived in NYC or Tennessee you'd know the huge difference. A gun in NYC is nothing but trouble any way you look at it.

If you get jumped by a guy who has a knife, and you have a gun, you don't get cut or stabbed, but you shoot him, dead or not... your gonna spend a long time behind bars. Is it unfair? Yes, but the only way to eliminate people making stupid decisions like that is by not having them. Cities like New York have different rules for a reason, because the life style and given living situations are vastly different even to a city like Memphis or Nashville.

This is the beauty of Federal vs State laws, if you don't like the rules in New York and cannot conform to them or understand why they may be different than another city or state then you ought not to spend time there, otherwise you will just get in over your head.

That woman carrying a loaded weapon makes her more of a terrorist than any guy driving a cab wearing a towel on their bald head. And I guarantee you that man would scare her to the point that in the back of her cab she'd be clammed up, sweating, with her finger on the trigger.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Get real. Bottom line, you don't need guns in a city where at any moment there are nearly 10 million people crowding the streets. Why? What if you drop it, it's possible to go off and more likely to hit a civilian than an add board. Or it goes through the floor and hits one of the many people crowded in your building.

Or your on the subway and someone gets mugged, what are you gonna do SHOOT HIM? Come on, the law isn't yours to make. Plus this example just proves due to the laws guns are nothing but trouble in NY, you can't take them anywhere.

Is this your idea of getting "real"? In answer to your subway hypothetical, perhaps you are ignorant of the fact that even a Manhattan jury had sympathy for Bernhard Goetz , and acquitted him of the attempted murder and first degree assault he was charged with for shooting four men who he claimed attempted to mug him on a New York subway train.

Also there are so many reasons to get pissed off and shoot someone just by living in that hellish city that the gun laws actually make sense.

Right. You are arguing that gun laws are necessary to prevent you from going "postal" all over New Yorkers? Wow.

edit on 21-1-2012 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kristinaso

19.5(ish)million people in the state of new york(2009)
6.2(ish) million people in the state of Tennessee (2009)

so either im horrible at math(very very likely) or even with the murder rate im pretty sure 4.5 % of 19(ish) million is higher(877 500 ny murders ) then 5.6 % of 6.2 million (347 200 murders ) so it seems that dispite the higher murder rate 3 times more new yorkers (roughly) die annually from murder then the people of Tennessee so i think its much safer to be in Tennessee then ny or at the very least comparable if you take populations in to account

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Dude, this thread isn't about you using your cyber tactics to cut someone down. It's about the idiot who brought a loaded gun to the World Trade Center Memorial.

Yeah I think you have points, as does anyone when arguing gun laws. I'm not one to claim to know all of the laws or cases involving guns in New York. But I do know that you'r not supposed to have loaded weapons in New York as a civilian, what is the point of it? I listed a few situations where guns can make problems a lot worse for people. I do believe that in general guns cause more problems than they solve. There are situation's where one might say "thank god I had a gun on me". But in general you don't need one, which is why there are strict gun laws.

I can't smoke a joint in Tennessee if I have glaucoma and medical clearance in California, would I be dumb enough to think I could? Hell no!

edit on 21-1-2012 by BiffJordan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by Kristinaso

19.5(ish)million people in the state of new york(2009)
6.2(ish) million people in the state of Tennessee (2009)

so either im horrible at math(very very likely) or even with the murder rate im pretty sure 4.5 % of 19(ish) million is higher(877 500 ny murders ) then 5.6 % of 6.2 million (347 200 murders ) so it seems that dispite the higher murder rate 3 times more new yorkers (roughly) die annually from murder then the people of Tennessee so i think its much safer to be in Tennessee then ny or at the very least comparable if you take populations in to account

Perhaps... when saying New York make sure your mentally including gang ridded streets and neighborhoods of Brooklyn, Harlem, Queens, and The Bronx. Sure stuff happens in Manhattan, it can happen anywhere.

Most of the time people who move to New York City don't end up in those neighborhoods, it happens but like I said most of the time they don't. Most of the gang activity and gun activity is used in a certain circle. It's not like the 70's, 80's, or early 90's. I feel safer walking in NYC than Knoxville or down a quite redneck road in Cock County.

"It" can happen anywhere and it does. But for the most part in NYC everyone is watching, and that is a big comfort.

What I am trying to say is, if you are carrying a gun it's more likely that you will see someone else with a gun, because your probably a criminal or a cop. (which in some situations I saw while living in #ty neighborhoods, is one in the same)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Well, yes I am saying that someone who needs to carry a gun in NYC has no place in NYC.

Then what the hell are the NYPD doing there?

We don't need that kind of attitude or behavior there. In other town's and states it may makes more sense. If you have lived in NYC or Tennessee you'd know the huge difference. A gun in NYC is nothing but trouble any way you look at it.

I have lived in New York City, as well as Long Island. Never lived in Tennessee, but partied for a few days in Nashville. Maybe you owning a gun in NYC is nothing but trouble, but if that is the case then there are plenty of real laws in place to deal with the trouble you seem to be so afraid you would cause.

If you get jumped by a guy who has a knife, and you have a gun, you don't get cut or stabbed, but you shoot him, dead or not... your gonna spend a long time behind bars.

This is utter nonsense and your ignorance of the law is inexcusable. I'd suggest you stop while you're ahead, but tragically, you're way behind the curve on law. No one, in any state, has to sustain an injury in order to defend themselves against the threat of that injury. Further, if I am jumped by some clown with a knife in New York City this just goes to show how necessary carrying guns are in that city. Never show up with a knife to a gun fight.

Is it unfair? Yes, but the only way to eliminate people making stupid decisions like that is by not having them.

Clearly it has not eliminated people making stupid decisions.

Cities like New York have different rules for a reason, because the life style and given living situations are vastly different even to a city like Memphis or Nashville.

Oh Please!

This is the beauty of Federal vs State laws, if you don't like the rules in New York and cannot conform to them or understand why they may be different than another city or state then you ought not to spend time there, otherwise you will just get in over your head.

Sooner or later some clown NYPD officer is going to arrest the wrong person, and the State of New York is going to discover just how in over their head they are with the trampling of People's rights.

That woman carrying a loaded weapon makes her more of a terrorist than any guy driving a cab wearing a towel on their bald head. And I guarantee you that man would scare her to the point that in the back of her cab she'd be clammed up, sweating, with her finger on the trigger.

Oh. She's a terrorist now? Okay troll away if you must.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I can't smoke a joint in Tennessee if I have glaucoma and medical clearance in California, would I be dumb enough to think I could? Hell no!

As far as the federal government is concerned you can't smoke a joint in California if you have glaucoma and medical clearance. Would you be dumb enough to think you could in California? Who cares? If you have so little regard for your rights that is your business. It is when you show such disregard for every other persons rights that you become the very idiot you claim the woman from Tennessee is.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

One who's trained in the use of firearms and escalation of force disagrees with you, and finds your use of the word terrorist hilarious. /end reply

How offensive of her to carry a firearm for self protection in NYC, enter the WTC memorial site, and then immediately comply with their idiotic laws once made aware of them. She must be locked up, what a terrorist!

What part of "right to bear arms" do some states not understand? Glad I live where I do where open carry is legal.

I can only imagine the reaction if she carried into it a model of a Boeing 767.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Hey I'm not saying I am an NYPD fan at all. I've seen them beat kid's into the ground for fun. And I could hardly tell the different between NYPD and the gangs.

I'm not telling you this woman is a terrorist but that's what things have come to with all the ridiculous laws this country has thrust upon us.

When it comes to the NYPD i'd say justice served maybe 50% of the time. I've also seen an addict strung out dodging traffic in the middle of the road on 14th street while a police officer says "That's one block outa my district".

I guess my frenetic opinions come from the fact that I wish gun's in general weren't a part of the equation. I wish people didn't have em or cops. But as long as they are there they will be misused.

And bottom line, nobody needs to take a fu*cking weapon to the WTC memorial.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Hey I'm not saying I am an NYPD fan at all. I've seen them beat kid's into the ground for fun. And I could hardly tell the different between NYPD and the gangs.

Do they even allow backpedaling in New York, or are you in possession of some sort of backpedaling license?

edit on 21-1-2012 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
While I happen to live in NYS and throughly hate everything that is NYS I have to point something out for people not a resident here. There is way way more to NYS than just NYC or Long Island. Because I live near Buffalo and I know these laws do not apply here as they do in the big city. So when people refer to this article you need to remember that they are talking about NYC and not the entire state. They really need to split that part of NY off and give it it's own entity, as well northern New Yorkers always have to get the scraps and suffer from the left overs because of that lousy city. They are a drain on the entire state and believe me it's very frustrating watching all your tax dollars flowing down there never to return.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiffJordan

The one thing gun laws in NYC don't apply to (which is a damn shame) is the worst gang of them all, The NYPD.

That's from my first post in the thread.

I do not like the NYPD. I do not like them because they are an "offical" gang. They beat the crap outa people just because they want too.

That doesn't change the fact that this woman is a total numbskull... one for taking at gun to WTC. Two for being dumb enough to say "gee gollee we outa coat check our gun!"

If you think your bad ass enough to carry a gun then you outa be bad ass enough not to turn into a little puss in NYC because your not supposed to take them virtually anywhere.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

And bottom line, nobody needs to take a fu*cking weapon to the WTC memorial.

Yeah ok after what happened there I'd want to be packing a weapon as well. Never know when history will repeat itself, because it seems to do that often.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Continually calling the woman who exercised her unalienable right to keep and bear arms an "idiot" and a "numbskull" will not - by any stretch of the imagination - make you appear to be any smarter.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
See I'm at quite a conflicting crossroads here... I grew up with weapons, my whole childhood I was a marksman for fun, never killed a living animal but I do enjoy shooting a gun, in the country, where the noise doesn't bother anybody or where there isn't something living in front of my barrel.

I don't particularly care for the idea of hunting but whatever floats your boat, do as you wish. I have many friends who are hunters, I just prefer not to take part in that activity...

If your attitude is that "It might happen again at WTC" then... haha ... well I'll try not to laugh. Maybe before you reserve your spot at the memorial you should second guess going all together, because if "something" were to happen I doubt your gun would do any more good than the 200 or so NYPD who are stationed in the area would do.

You just don't need weapons in New York City, end of story in my book. You can keep writing your's but nobody worth a grain of salt is gonna buy it.
edit on 21-1-2012 by BiffJordan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join