It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican villagers stone 'witch' to death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 08:22 AM
link   
SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS, Mexico (AP) -- An angry crowd stoned to death an Indian man accused of practicing witchcraft in a southern Mexico town with a long tradition of religious violence.

CNN Report

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
He shouldnt have been practiceing witchcraft in the open, everyone knows its illegal. just ask Bush!

Seriously, thats crazy that they actually believe he was a witch. The education system down thier must be non-existant.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   
They should have thrown her in water instead... We all know that witches are made of wood and float...

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Catemaco, population 35,000, is the witchcraft capital of Mexico -- and some say of the world. Mexico has thousands of practicing witches, warlocks, shamans, herbalists, seers, healers, psychics and fortunetellers, worshipers of a mixed brew of Roman Catholicism and ancient rites, and practices that survive from pre-Columbian days. Almost every marketplace in Mexico has at least one herb-woman and a "curandero," or healer. But only the 13 sorcerers of Catemaco, who call themselves "the Brothers," are acknowleged as the high priests of the trade. They say only they are privy to secret, ancient rites and practices. Their acolytes call them "masters."

Story Link

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 07:45 AM
link   
But are not bridges also made of wood?

What else floats in water?

*Answers from the crowd*

"Apples...very small rocks"

"A Duck!"

So, if he weighs as much as a duck, he must be...

*A Witch! A Witch!*

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 09:50 PM
link   
They must grow some pretty potent weed!!! Yeah gimme so of what they've been smoking!

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I can't believe that, even today, you can be killed for practising occult arts.

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Uh, WTF?? Anyways, stupid people. Were the people arressted? Any punishment coming?

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Ya gotta keep in mind that civilisation and law are not present everywhere on this planet.

What I mean is I'm sure they got away fine and won't even be bothered because of this. That' s what is the worst about all this story.

[Edited on 25-7-2003 by m0rbid]

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   
"So logically, if she weighs the same as a duck, she is made of wood"

"And therefore?'

"A witch! A witch!"

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 07:55 PM
link   
like monty python
and what do we do with witches???

posted on Jul, 25 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Burn Her!

There goes the King!

How do you know he's a King?

He doesn't have s*h*i*t all over him...

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I have heard similar stories in Africa where villagers have killed people for sorcery or black magic.
In our modern day and age superstition is still pretty rife
in many primitive parts of the world.
I heard a story here somewhere here in the United States
where some people killed someone by literally trying to beat the devil or demon out of them.
It was a fatal case of an exorcism.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hear about the shrink/s in California? The one who got caught first cured mental disease by....

WRAPPING THE PESON UP IN A BLANKET THEN HAD THE FAMILY BEAT THEM WITH THEIR FISTS/FEET/WEAPONS! WHY? "There is no such thing as a crazy person or mental disease, it is only demons coming to corrupt us, and so I, a woman of god must beat the demon out of them."

Sadly, over six kids were killed by this method.

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Wow, what a crazy world we live in. Thank god we're not primitive anymore, heh?

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 12:55 PM
link   
LOL, Monty Python rox!!!

The education system in Mexico is non-existent Advisor, kids don't even go to school.

The only schools there are run by Americans and they don't recieve federal funding or anything, it's mainly American missionaries.

Tassadar

top topics

join