It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the UK does not want Scotland to know about independance

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
All of this doesn't really matter, the UK is bankrupt.

When it blows up finally, which it will, then the area will break up and London will turn to chaos.

London should purge itself from the bankers... something which should have been done LONG AGO.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

No it isn't.
That's a myth Cameron and his cronies are promoting so they can further their agenda of taking the UK back to some sort of Victorianesque society.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by RockLobster

"Scotland could create their own currency without even having to lean on the Euro at all. "
distribute it to all corners of scotland , and have it recognised as legal tender , then recall all British Sterling and replace it with Scottish currency ........... over-night ? Yeah , Narnia`s that way --- >

We already have the Scottish pound.....we have always used the Scottish pound. The Scottish pound is not recognised as an international currency so before I go abroad I simply go to the local bank and exchange my Scottish pounds for either the local currency of my destination or for Bank of England notes. What precisely requires to change in that scenario should we vote for independence?

The POUND , 100 pence , belongs to the UK , Scottish pound notes are not legal tender , and arent accepted outside of Scotland, which isnt a great start to "independence".

Plus , the Scottish armed forces will need thousands and thousands of recruits, will need to come to an agreement with England and America over the nuke, + nuke sub , bases in Scotland , you`ll all have to bend over and grease your floor boards for the yanks , and to stop Scotland being invaded you`ll need to join the dark side - push and push for a role in NATO , which will take yeeeaaars .... yep , independence isnt all its cracked up to be ...... be honest , you just want another day off.

edit on 25-1-2012 by RockLobster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I think most of the oil in the British parts of the North Sea would actually belong to Orkney and Shetland - and I know of no reason why they would want to be part of an independent Scotland. Whether they would choice independence of their own, like Iceland and Faeroe, or wish to remain in the UK I don't know.

As for currency, Scottish banks issue their own notes which are not legal tender in Scotland any more than they are in England. The only reason some smaller businesses in England may not normally accept them is because the staff are inexperienced and don;t recognised them or, more often, due to concerns about forgeries (for the same reason Bank of England £20 and £50 may also be declined).

Scotland has no currency - the Scottish pound (which was worth about 50p, if that) ceased to exist hundreds of years ago. However, if you wish to visit my shop I'll happily accept your Clydesdale Bank £20 notes at a generous exchange rate of S£1 = £0.75p How's that? Offer ends 31.12.12.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Personally Id vote for Scottish indepence if I was Scottish, but Im not Im English, as such I dont want Scottish indepence because Scotland provides many left wing votes every election. Without those votes we could be doomed to regular right wing parties in charge of us in England!!!

But I do have two points .... oil and gas ..... yeah right we'll pass that straight over to you .... NO CHANCE!!!!

What about the RBS bailout costs? Surely this debt would be Scottish .... have it back!!!

edit on 25-1-2012 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
As a bit of an aside; what would happen if say The Orkneys or The Shetlands said they wished to remain part of the UK or even have their own independance?
Would Scotland grant them their wish or impose their rule upon them?

A hypothetical. and possibly highly unlikely scenario, but an interesting one nonetheless and I wonder what the Scots etc think about it.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
And if they break away, what happens next?
"Why should Glasgow be told what to do by Edingborough?"
Then,"Why should North Glasgow be told what to do by South Glasgow?"
Leading to "Why should I be told what to do by You?"

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

No it isn't.
That's a myth Cameron and his cronies are promoting so they can further their agenda of taking the UK back to some sort of Victorianesque society.

Yeah... it's all Cameron making it up...

UK's debt? 950% of GDP

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnrobca

What about the RBS bailout costs? Surely this debt would be Scottish .... have it back!!!

It was the UK Labour government through Chancellor Darling who decided to bail out RBS. The UK Government now owns most of the bank. An independent Scotland wouldn't waste money buying it back off them. The UK government were stupid to bail it out in the first place but it was their decision to throw money at a failed private company. Mind you it was them that let things get so bad in the first place.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

It was the UK Labour government through Chancellor Darling who decided to bail out RBS. The UK Government now owns most of the bank. An independent Scotland wouldn't waste money buying it back off them. The UK government were stupid to bail it out in the first place but it was their decision to throw money at a failed private company. Mind you it was them that let things get so bad in the first place.

Im finding it hard to disagree with you because I actually agree with your sentiment ...... but in similar circumstances, post independence, do you seriously think that Alex Salmond wouldnt do exactly the same thing rather than let them go under? I know youve said Scotland wouldnt .. but ... arent all politicans the same? and will continue to do the dumbest things or do what they are told by their puppet masters (depending on your views of politicans!)
edit on 25-1-2012 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

Source - Bank of England

Legal tender or not to tender legal? According to the Bank of England the point is of little to no relevance..

As for the additional points in your post I can do no more than refer you to the earlier pages of this thread where it is made clear that we would be more than happy for you to have ALL the nukes - we never wanted them here in the first place.

Next......?
edit on 25-1-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

No they werent stupid to bail RBS out.

RBS have around 43% market share of financing SCOTTISH businesses - long term debt and cashflow financing.

WIthout bailing out RBS, those businesses could have failed....making thousands unemployed.

RBS is a middleman - unfortunately, we rely on those sharks to grease the wheels of the whole economy.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

How many times does stumason have to show you proof that the link you provide is bull crap before you stop using it?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

Source - Bank of England

Legal tender or not to tender legal? According to the Bank of England the point is of little to no relevance..

As for the additional points in your post I can do no more than refer you to the earlier pages of this thread where it is made clear that we would be more than happy for you to have ALL the nukes - we never wanted them here in the first place.

Next......?

So because YOU dont want English and American nuclear submarine bases and warheads - all of Scotland doesnt want them ? Are you even aware of how much money we pay to Scotland every year for this alone ? And how many jobs these bases create ? how old are you .. 10 ?

And tell me , who will be willing to trade with a dead currency ? China / America / Russia / Europe ?

Look, Scotland has never had it better .... you want independence ? have it, but dont bother coming back. The whole thing is ignorant and un grateful. I`d like to hear what England has been leeching off of Scotland too , currently were paying for your education system , and we foot the bill for your prescriptions .

We`ve payed Scotland every year simply for being part of the UK , you do know all the perks dissapear when you walk away right ? What you`ll have is a bit of land , a dead currency , no allies , no oil , and no position on the international stage ...... the future`s bleak , the future`s Scotland.
edit on 25-1-2012 by RockLobster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

So because YOU dont want English and American nuclear submarine bases and warheads - all of Scotland doesnt want them ? Are you even aware of how much money we pay to Scotland every year for this alone ? And how many jobs these bases create ? how old are you .. 10 ? And tell me , who will be willing to trade with a dead currency ? China / America / Russia / Europe ? Look, Scotland has never had it better .... you want independence ? have it, but dont bother coming back. The whole thing is ignorant and un grateful. I`d like to hear what England has been leeching off of Scotland too , currently were paying for your education system , and we foot the bill for your prescriptions . We`ve payed Scotland every year simply for being part of the UK , you do know all the perks dissapear when you walk away right ? What you`ll have is a bit of land , a dead currency , no allies , no oil , and no position on the international stage ...... the future`s bleak , the future`s Scotland. edit on 25-1-2012 by RockLobster because: (no reason given)

I assume you're referring to the much outdated and highly controversial Barnett Formula. Hmm.... I think someone should do their homework more thoroughly before questioning the 'age' of other posters.
Yup and the high heid yin in London pays us just to be part of the UK right enough - come on now - you're of reasonable enough intelligence surely to think that wee gem through - really?? Out of the goodness of their hearts they 'pay' us scrounging Jocks to be in their union?? And there's nothing at all in it for Westminster?
I'm not even going to bother writing all the contributions we as a country bring to the union - go figure.

As a side note - what gives you the impression that Scotland would have no allies, no oil and no international stage?? As a nation we have many foreign friends and a wonderful international standing - can the same really be said for our cousins south of the border?

edit on 25/1/2012 by lovesfood because: Gonnae no dae that

edit on 25/1/2012 by lovesfood because: just gonnae no

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lovesfood

" I'm not even going to bother writing all the contributions we as a country bring to the union - go figure."
Really ?.... i wonder why

"As a side note - what gives you the impression that Scotland would have no allies..... "
urm .... dont bite the hand that feeds you comes to mind.

"no oil "
most of the oil in the waters around Scotland belongs to numerous companies / countries and Scotland just cannot afford to buy it .

"and no international stage?? "
What can Scotland offer the largest countries and econemies ?......nothing without military power and resources.

"As a nation we have many foreign friends and a wonderful international standing - can the same really be said for our cousins south of the border? "

Yes , and we own more land than Scotland could ever dream of. As a nation were still a strong force on Earth , and Scotland is "the ugly cousin"........... we`ll pay you .....to go......away.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RockLobster
reply to post by lovesfood

" I'm not even going to bother writing all the contributions we as a country bring to the union - go figure."
Really ?.... i wonder why

"As a side note - what gives you the impression that Scotland would have no allies..... "
urm .... dont bite the hand that feeds you comes to mind.

"no oil "
most of the oil in the waters around Scotland belongs to numerous companies / countries and Scotland just cannot afford to buy it .

"and no international stage?? "
What can Scotland offer the largest countries and econemies ?......nothing without military power and resources.

"As a nation we have many foreign friends and a wonderful international standing - can the same really be said for our cousins south of the border? "

Yes , and we own more land than Scotland could ever dream of. As a nation were still a strong force on Earth , and Scotland is "the ugly cousin"........... we`ll pay you .....to go......away.

How very, very sad . Pity you didn't pay for the land you claim to own .....'strong force on earth' - that's laughable - so is a bloody hurricane and nobody welcomes that either! As a nation - England has no reputation stronger or weaker than the current Status Quo permitts.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

So because YOU dont want English and American nuclear submarine bases and warheads - all of Scotland doesnt want them ? Are you even aware of how much money we pay to Scotland every year for this alone ? And how many jobs these bases create ? how old are you .. 10 ?

And tell me , who will be willing to trade with a dead currency ? China / America / Russia / Europe ?

Look, Scotland has never had it better .... you want independence ? have it, but dont bother coming back. The whole thing is ignorant and un grateful. I`d like to hear what England has been leeching off of Scotland too , currently were paying for your education system , and we foot the bill for your prescriptions .

We`ve payed Scotland every year simply for being part of the UK , you do know all the perks dissapear when you walk away right ? What you`ll have is a bit of land , a dead currency , no allies , no oil , and no position on the international stage ...... the future`s bleak , the future`s Scotland.

No I do not know how much money 'you' pay Scotland every year 'for this alone' - do tell. I do know how many civilian jobs we'll lose tho' - that's about 935 of them see Cancelling Trident - The Economic and Employment Consequences for Scptland

See that dead currency I use everyday now - some how some way I can buy whatever I want from all over the globe? Wid ye credit it?

'Scotland never had it better' - right - I'll tell that to the one in three households in Glasgow with no-one working.

'Leeching' - this isn't about leeching and certainly not gratitude - this is about self determination for Scotland or not.

England is not paying for our education system. We've already been through this on this thread - please read it - the £2000 shortfall on present per capita spending and income equates to the £250,000,000,000 of revenue from oil that's gone straight from Scotland to Westminster over the past 25 years - that's £50,000 per person - or £2000/per person/per annum. YOU don't foot the bill for anything.

Next....?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

You are clearly in denial , read your post again and see if your wee brain can spot the blatant mistake you`ve just made.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by johnrobca

Scottish banks and investment houses have been around for a very long time. The Bank of Scotland was created one year after the Bank of England.

Over that time they have built a reputation for being very canny and very dependable.

Some notable names

Scottish Widows
Standard Life
Commercial Union Insurance - now Aviva

HERE some more

In banking we had

Bank of Scotland ... now part of Halifax HBOS ... and now part of Lloyds

Clydesdale Bank ... now owned by Australians

We had TSB which Mrs Thatcher stole from us and is now part of Lloyds

We had RBS which was good until the Fred the Shred went mental after Brown loosened the reins. Now owned by UK plc

The point is Scotland always has been and still is very good at finance and investment. We would not have let RBS get into the state it did. Even if it did we would find other ways to finance ourselves.

HERE is a recent roundup of the state of the financial sector in Scotland...... not bad at all

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join