It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Flare / Electro Magnetic Storm Alart for the Weekend

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by Lee78

Over the weekend when the cme is supposed to interact with earth, tell me, or add to this thread those of you that have had headaches or know someone who has suffered an epileptic fit. I am serious here. Not deadly but i have a good reason to believe that it is connected.

What do you think stereologist, new thread?

This is not the way to run the test. You need to find subjects that are normal. You also need to find subjects that do not check to see if there are CMEs headed our way. In fact, it is best if the subjects do not know the purpose of the experiment. Simply have people report their headaches.

Ah yes the double blind study. Hey we wont even tell people they have a headache. LOL.
I think for our informal purposes asking folks who get a headache this weekend to report it here is going to be the most we can hope for in regards to regulating any testing. It wont give us scientific results but it will be interesting.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

The water in our bodies reacts to the gravitational pull of the moon perhaps its plausable that our brains will react to CMEs.

Studies do not find a correlation between the Moon and people. The phases of the Moon are not relAted and claims about people and full moons are anecdotal.

People might react to CMEs if there were sufficient energy. There is not. The effect is very small on the magnetosphere. The surface effect is practically nonexistent.

I know that people can be sensitive to electromagnetic fields. Bad wiring in old houses is a major contributor to peoples feeling of discomfort and unease.

People cannot tell that. The problem is being in an old house, not the wiring.

The check has to be blinded. The check has to be over many people across a long enough span of time to collect the data.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Let me use a widely used psychological term here..."correlation is not causation"!

Remember the study that as ice cream sales increased...so did the number of violent crimes?

Really had nothing to do with ice cream sales...just happens that more violent crimes are committed during the spring and summer months...ice cream selling months!

Although there was a positive correlation...it was not causation!

To prove that solar flares (CME) cause headaches would be a deeply scientific study...with years of testing before any proof could be provided!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Thank you for bringing up this important issue.

I was just trying to bring up the first step which was to see if there might be a connection.

Thanks for letting everyone know that it is a difficult process. Cheers

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Well I think as a first step I would have to collect data from a control group...when an active CME was not incoming!

Then data during the CME...and likewise...after the CME!

Nice clear definition of the independent variable...and the dependent variable...rid the experiment of any co-variables...and a massive amount of paper and pencil data (surveys)! Millions of them!

Then years to analyze the data...rule out medical conditions, medications, lifestyles, genetic predispositions, etc...and then maybe have something worth publishing as science (big emphasis on the maybe)!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Does anyone know where we can view the solar flare phenomenon...if it does occur (northern lights affect)?

And who it will be visible to (I mean what part of the world)?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
Does anyone know where we can view the solar flare phenomenon...if it does occur (northern lights affect)?

And who it will be visible to (I mean what part of the world)?

Hey, Jerry.

The best spot to go to see flares, though not in real-time, but good enough, would be SolarIMG for several different wave-length views of the Sun, as well as SDO, and Space Weather, as well as Solar Report for the finer details.

To watch videos of flares and such, be sure to visit SOHO's movie theater. To see a simulation of where/when a CME is said to impact, go here, and for a more archived CME simulation, go here, and lastly with regards to the flares themselves, this CACTus view is good.

With regards to viewing the Aurora, here's a good guide to doing that.

To monitor the geomagnetic conditions, go here, and to view the Kp Index, click here.

The geomagnetic storm struck a few hours earlier. Proton density was around 70 protons/cm3 at one point, and solar winds were up close to 500 km/s. The storm doesn't seem major, though you can see it's clear effects. It seems to have tapered off a considerable amount. Other good links are HAARP's Fluxgate Magnetometer here, and this is a good chart of winds and such. You can also view further charts of electron and proton content at the SolarIMG link that I put up above, as well as others.

Too many link failures, all seems good now.

edit on 22/1/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

Awesome good links and information...thanks you!

I was hoping to catch some sight of it early this morning while it was still dark...but to no avail!

Thanks again for the links...awesome post...I'd flag it if I could...but a star will have to do!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by murkraz

Awesome good links and information...thanks you!

I was hoping to catch some sight of it early this morning while it was still dark...but to no avail!

Thanks again for the links...awesome post...I'd flag it if I could...but a star will have to do!

Hey, not a prob! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Solar wind
speed: 459.9 km/sec
density: 12.3 protons/cm3
no headache here but I dont live in the Northern Lights district where one might imagine this might take place

ADDED: OP made no mention to 2012 end of the world here should this be in the Fragile Earth Forum
edit on 22-1-2012 by rebellender because: added content

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
while solar flares are at an all time high it will like last like this for a bit of time, but not for long. the sun's current cycle of life in essense has reached it's climax and will shortly begin cooling. i really don't see solar flares being of much concern to us despite the hype over it after that god awful nicholas cage movie.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Video Info -

INFO - (SpaceWeather.com)

ALMOST-X FLARE AND CME - This morning, Jan. 23rd around 0359 UT, big sunspot 1402 erupted, producing a long-duration M9-class solar flare. The explosion's M9-ranking puts it on the threshold of being an X-flare, the most powerful kind. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured the flare's extreme ultraviolet flash.

MORE - spaceweather.com...

NASA SOHO LASCO C2 Image
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

NASA SOHO LASCO C3 Image

The Very Latest SOHO Images

ISWA Cygnet Streamer (CME Futures Data)
iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...

Copyright NASA
www.nasa.gov...

Big Thanks To Wemustuplift
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Here's a very useful video.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rapha
reply to post by xweaponx
I have actually lost count of how many end-of-the-world solar flares we have had since last August.

This is just another ordinary solar flare that will give a few problems with communications. Nothing major.

The only problem with that is this time it made national news (CNN) and they quoted NASA saying it's the largest solar storm in years. Granted I have seen storms/flares on predictions and doomsday threads but this seems bigger than that.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
You should know that from 2013 if not from this year, the Sun is entering a period of activity and more of such flares or clouds are likely to be seen. Do not listen to scientists belitteling its effect. Such flares are upredictable and there could be larger ones, anything can happen with the electricity and cause serious damage.

I think the current storm has already damaged satelites, the one broadcasting the Oscar prizes in Hollywood

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
it's amazing how gullible people are. the odds of a solar flare doing anything to us are less than getting struck by lightning twice. i don't understand how you people can't comprehend us. solar flares might as well be Y2K all over again

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by OGOldGreg
it's amazing how gullible people are. the odds of a solar flare doing anything to us are less than getting struck by lightning twice. i don't understand how you people can't comprehend us. solar flares might as well be Y2K all over again

It has nothing to do with being gullible if you have a shred of knowledge on the subject and actually monitor the Sun's activity day-in and day-out. There'll always be people who read something here on ATS and will take it to the 'Y2K exteme', once they begin gullible research.

Solar radiation storms do pose a threat to us regardless, especially up North. While you aren't going to see somebody exit their home and be dramatically swooshed up in a fiery barrage, there's the serious threat towards our satellites and communications, and in the most rare of events, something like a grid being fried. 2013 is the peaking of the cycle, so as a team on ATS, let's try not to be all brazen and act like we all know what's going to happen when we simply don't know what this upcoming cycle has in store for us. This isn't 2001-2002.

It'll most likely damage some satellites, and bring a few heat waves and strange climate, the rest comes down to chance and what the Sun is in the mood to emit or launch our way.

Expect many X-class and M-class flares. Some will be earthbound, some won't. We simply cannot predict or brush off how the Sun is going to break out and what it is going to send our way, but hey, at least we have some new satellites and technology to monitor all of this and to collect a lot of useful information on this upcoming cycle. I'm looking forward to it, but with all things, I'm staying aware of the conditions and activity in-case it poses a threat.

Despite what half of this site thinks, this star system is not stationary, and what happened yesterday or 12 years ago, might not happen in the exact same way as our minds pre-conceive and expect, as we're all addicted to routine and having an idea of what the norm is.
edit on 25/1/12 by murkraz because: typoz

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

The Sun cycle is 11 years. That's 9 cycles a century. Likely been happening for billions of years.

What is there that makes this cycle any different? For one it is expected to be below average in activity.

and bring a few heat waves and strange climate

Where does this come from?

The big difference today is that the sun is being studied closely and we can see these things happen. A while back people were blissfully unaware of such solar activity and it went unnoticed because it has no affect on life on Earth. Satellites and a large power grid can be damaged.

It seems that this real time viewing of the Sun gives scientists information about the Sun and gives worriers something else to fret about.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
most solar waves are averted by the earth's magnetic field.
while researching about the mysterious noise thing, i found a video that said solar flares are causing the magnetic fields to stretch and stretch and stretch until that snap back into place like a rubber band. the theory in turn creates these mysterious noises, but nothing is fact yet.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Curious? How is this snap back making noise?

How does this translate to a pressure wave in the atmosphere when the snap back events are in space?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join