It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indictment Charges Megaupload Site With Piracy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MastaShake

I'm seeing that also. Seems Anonymous has declared all out war according to their twitter postings.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Wait a minute

Copyright infringement is going on by using the internet???

omg, they need to shut down the internet and arrest..al gore I guess

I see no difference...the service is megaupload..the service is also the world wide web..
Actually, the british invented html..so the WWW is their fault
Arrest Britain!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by elmrich
reply to post by MastaShake

I'm seeing that also. Seems Anonymous has declared all out war according to their twitter postings.

So twitter is facilitating criminal activity.
Time to take down twitter and arrest the owners.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Originally posted by SaturnFX
wait...so megaupload itself was giving away copywrited stuff, or simply facilitated the use of their service for users that they chose to use incorrectly?

this is like blaming roads for a bank being robbed because a road was used during the bank robbery.

Pawn shops don't break into peoples houses, but if they sell stolen goods they are still part of the problem.

Guy has the biggest mansion in the country, so I'd say there must be some profit in it.

Pawn shops are not held accountable if they have stolen goods in them. The goods are removed and given to the police unless the pawn shop owner his/herself is knowingly buying stolen items which they don't usually do since it's very bad for business.

This is exactly what is happening to megaupload. They are being held accountable for stolen goods. I guess the cops better start closing down every single pawn shop in the country since you can almost guarantee they all have at least a few stolen items sitting on their shelves.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
reply to post by SaturnFX

I find it amusing to see how many people try to justify copyright stealing and piracy by attaching the label 'free speech' to it

But then copyright law was never created to protect the authors, just the publishing companies rights

I am pretty torn on the issue
I am against piracy, and I am a hypocrite (nuff said, but I do right when I am entertained)
I see free speech potentially being hammered with what they are doing (taking a nuke where a scalpel is needed). No, pirated stuff is not free speech, but many of the methods piracy is happening also has lots of legit uses and ...
Ya, the whole old school system is broken..time for a new model relevant to the digital age.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
lol it's going to be a long night, Anonymous is going off every minute

sites taken down so far and last tweet:

www.hadopi.fr
www.riaa.com
www.copyright.gov
www.justice.gov
www.universalmusic.com

Word has it that FBI.gov is next to go down... will report when it is.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Equ1nox

Told ya, guys. This means war, and there's no rules in war. The copyright mob is about to find that out as well.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Equ1nox

T hat was fast.

Holy crap.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equ1nox
lol it's going to be a long night, Anonymous is going off every minute

sites taken down so far and last tweet:

www.hadopi.fr
www.riaa.com
www.copyright.gov
www.justice.gov
www.universalmusic.com

Word has it that FBI.gov is next to go down... will report when it is.

Wonderful, now please explain to me how that makes any difference to the average person like myself who never goes to any of the above sites? Just a glorified pissing war is about all it amounts to.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Soon, we will be buried by the avalanche of our governments inadaquacies and diliberate denial of freedoms

From online gambling, to real time info, they outlaw what they can't control. Their sick. Psychotic ! Who can take them down ? I don't think it will be a mere thorn in their side like Anonymous.
edit on 19-1-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well, isn't it a consequence that they do this the day after the SOPA protests yesterday. It is like the FED said, we don't care, we will do whatever we want, where ever we want.

All I can say is, when they shut down the internet, it is time to shut down the government - and yes, I don't care if big brother is watching.

TAKE NOTE.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Anonymous is exploding on Twitter! They're taking down sites left and right and even got 1,500 followers in 10 minutes! Wow, they are pissed. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the FBI, MPAA and RIAA might have just fired the first shots of the Internet war. I can't believe this is actually happening

twitter.com...#!/AnonDaily
edit on 19-1-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
www.mpaa.org down
www.utahchiefs.org down
The Largest Attack Ever by Anonymous - 5,635 People Confirmed Using #LOIC to Bring Down Sites!

twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Anonymous is exploding on Twitter! They're taking down sites left and right and even got 1,500 followers in 10 minutes! Wow, they are pissed. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the FBI, MPAA and RIAA might have just fired the first shots of the Internet war. I can't believe this is actually happening

Unfortunately, I think in the next few days, the net is going to get a lot smaller.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I just heard on the radio Anonymous took down the US Dept of Justice Website......

As far as I can tell it's true.. won't let me connect to it.
edit on 19-1-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

I wonder if this is going to cause more support for SOPA in the long run?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
I just heard Anonymous took down the US Dept of Justice Website......

As far as I can tell it's true.. won't let me connect to it.

That's a first isn't it?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Other thread was closed so I'll post this here Boncho...

As I have stated before, Sopa is NOT just about piracy. It's about Govt. control and they are just using the piracy angle to justify taking even more control away from the people and put it in the hands of the Govt.

If you want to stay free, you can't pick and choose with these guys. You have to stand for the entire issue.

Right or wrong is not what we need to look at. The REAL question is since when does the Govt. care about piracy? What's their REAL angle? What's their REAL gain? You know they do nothing without a gain for them.

Peace

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Here's some interesting facts. As of 2009, rough estimates have 400-500 million people browsing the web every day. That's 2009, ancient in web terms. Still, if Megaupload accounts for 4% of Internet traffic, that's 20,000,000 people the government just pissed off.

This is big!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Edit: double post :/

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join