It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my encounter with a skeptic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Hey there

i wanted to share a experience i had with a friend of mine,

i was going to see a old friend i haven't seen in about 4 years, talked about what we have been up too and i told him i was heavily into UFO's/conspiracies and metaphysics

so i showed him my UFO video and hundreds of similar lights in the sky and he was dumbfounded , he was convinced they were balloons with led lights in them... seriously? balloons sitting perfectly still or moving against wind current, this is even after explaining to him what chinese lanterns are and swamp gas, yes yes thats all it is .. swamp gas

this guy i use to think was pretty smart, knew his *SNIP* but then it hit me are people really this dumb? i guess you really have to do the research yourself I know like many of you probably know that they are here, they have always been here. people just cant accept it unless its widely accepted by everyone else i guess.

almost nobody looks up and if they see a light in the sky they automatically think its a plane, since my ufo encounter i have been going to my friends balcony and we have seen phenomenon twice already this year

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on January 18th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

I have seen life in space. It is energy based life unlike any form of life we see here on earth. Look up the NASA tether experiment. They reveal themselves momentarily. This is life in space but the people who know of them are ordered to keep it secret. It is simply just another ecosystem.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

Just because he believes differently than you doesn't make him dumb. And just because something cannot easily be explained does not make it aliens. Every time religion can't explain something something they say its God and every time people see a video of strange things in the sky they automatically say its aliens. I would like to point out that they have yet to even prove microbial alien life exists let alone intelligent.

Sure, it could be aliens, I'm not ruling that out, but ball lightning behaves more strangely than anything and can float around oddly in the sky for hours at a time. So it could be ball lighting or maybe some other phenomenon we have yet to scientifically explain. We do not know. So until it is proven, please refrain from the insults, especially on ATS.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

I've been watching the sky since I was 5yrs old.
I've seen Halley's comet, yes, I'm that old. I've seen other comets. I know the planets. I've seen many the satellite, SpaceLab, MIR, ISS, meteors, and even some amazing bolides.

I've also jumped out of a lot of airplanes as a skydiver and am quite use to identifying aircraft, and what all is typical and expected of objects in the sky.

I've seen weather balloons, and passenger balloons, blimps, experimental/kit planes, gyro copters, and all sorts of military aircraft.

I live not 20 miles from Johnson Space Center Houston, which isn't all that far from Ellington airfield.

I have yet, even once, to see one single UFO.

don't think I haven't been deep wilderness camping in the mountains and other areas around the US miles and miles away from civilization, and still have yet to see anything unidentifiable.

I also have a love for sailing, and have been hundreds of miles offshore far away from everything with nothing but night sky to see forever, and still, I've yet to see anything unidentifiable.

I've seen lots of activity in the sky, but, it's always something identifiable.

My experience, the more you know about what is in the sky, the less likely you are to see a UFO.
Coincidence?
I'm thinking not based on statistical findings that pretty much 95% of everything reported as UFOs is misidentification made by someone that hasn't a clue.

This is just my experience. If you've had a different experience, then, good for you. I'm envious.

Fantastic claims, however, require fantastic proof.
Video of ambiguous lights not really doing anything spectacularly UFOy doesn't sell that well.

All best of luck to you though!

edit on 18-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

So you spoke to a skeptic and that's the video you show him, really?

That video is pretty pathetic to be honest.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Those objects in the tether video look like bokeh and were more pronounced because of the low-light setting required to photograph the tether itself.

www.bobatkins.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

To be honest you have probably just reminded your friend why he stopped talking to you for so long.

Hey there!, long time no see!

Totaly man, whats it been 4 years?, hows things?, you up to much?, were you work-

IM INTO UFOS!!!!!!

Ummm....

LOOK LOOK AT THIS! HAVE YOU SEEN THIS ONE??????? ITS LIKE THE INTERNET MAN

Cant you see it???, ITS AN ALIEN MAN THERE EVERYWHERE?!?!

I can kinda see how insanely awkward it must have been going in his mind, your just lucky he didnt phone people to bring you a puzzle coat. There are ways to broach these types of subjects, and they usualy require a great deal of sophistication and intelligence, not dodgy random youtube videos.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Do you mean he's a cynic? Because being a skeptic is good, not bad. Everyone should be a skeptic. All that means is that you don't make up your mind until convinced via solid evidence. A cynic can be either a UFO believer or a UFO unbeliever, a cynic is someone who stubbornly refuses to listen to evidence because they've already made up their minds one way or the other. There are TONS of believing cynics as well as unbelieving cynics on ATS and they almost completely prevent any rational UFO discussions from taking place because they are so emotionally invested in their position. There are far fewer skeptics on ATS which is unfortunate because the skeptics bring value to the discussions.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

i showed him my video, that i filmed myself, because i know its hard for you skeptics to believe people you dont know or trust, and in no way did i force my beliefs on him, and so you know were still great friends,

i retract calling him dumb maybe just ignorant? deny deny deny ignorance = )

i could have sat him down for a lecture and showed him all the great cases and videos ive come across over the years, but im done trying to convince people that we are not alone and that basically we've been duped..

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kolder
reply to post by Ixtab

i showed him my video, that i filmed myself, because i know its hard for you skeptics to believe people you dont know or trust, and in no way did i force my beliefs on him, and so you know were still great friends,

i retract calling him dumb maybe just ignorant? deny deny deny ignorance = )

i could have sat him down for a lecture and showed him all the great cases and videos ive come across over the years, but im done trying to convince people that we are not alone and that basically we've been duped..

To deny ignorance, you must first deny your own to that video you shot yourself. To outright call those UFO's and believe they're of E.T origin is amazing.

Now if you're just trying to tell your friend that they are UFO's and unexplained, then yes, he's an idiot for thinking anything otherwise. Maybe teach him the meaning of U.F.O.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Aliens? I dont know.
UFO's Absolutely do exist.

Personaly I think there is enough ancient evidence to almost prove aliens have been here however of the 5% of recent sightings that cant be explained my guess is they are black millitary craft.

I know what you mean about trying to convince people though. Even close freinds and family think I'm mad for some of the stuff I try to tell them. Even highly educated people will BLANK STARE when you suggest there's other life out there somewhere. peoples reactions used to make me angry but now I just marvel at the power of the programing they've received.

I just looked at your vid. The biggest problem is all the street lights are also discs. Kinda suggests the discs in the sky are just lights?
edit on 18-1-2012 by VoidHawk because: I just looked at your vid

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Popular

My video does not to justice to what we witnessed that night, myself and my whole family seen the phenomenon for over 3 hours. and no one has ever seen anything like it

i've also been around a long while and can identify most things seen in the sky. im not one of those people who assumes everything in the sky thats un identifiable is aliens, i like most probably believe its something to do with the military, but to say that we have no proof that they exist is just plain madness

i believe tho that most visitations are energy forms , things that we can not yet understand (some of us)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

Sorry, it's just that you're not helping your case much. You say you and your family witnessed it for 3 hours, yet all you got was an out of focus, awfully commentated 2:38 video.

Lol @ cloaking device.

My point is, you can't blame your friend or whoever he/she was, for staying a skeptic after showing that video.
It shows your ignorance when you call him/her a person of lesser intelligence because of their opinion.

edit on 18-1-2012 by Popular because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

DO NOT REMOVE STAFF EDITS!

and fully read ATS TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
edit on January 18th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
You lost me at being on drugs and saying "in no way did this alter my judgement".

Have a good day.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
having a good understanding of physics, being what people may call a 'trained observer', along with a pilot license, and a degree in aerospace engineering i must admit that i NEVER saw a video which would lead me to believe i would see an alien spaceship.

I'm interested in that matter cause i observed something which remains a mystery to me, but almost anything i yet saw in the media, from the famous phoenix case, to the tether-experiment have not convinced me to believe that extraterrestrial life of whatever sort is sporting around in flying saucers above in the skies.

its not ignorance on my side, cause i'm still clueing what i once saw, but when people start to get pushy on the subject (they exist), i just start to get sad.

It was Sir Isaac Newton who defined how science and knowledge has to be gained by mankind. he defined rules, which exclude pseudo-sciences, based on pure logic.
Basically it was him giving mankind the keys to understand things and unlock secrets in all physical fields.
He also defined when something has to be rejected, or accepted. And with all given respect, no case which has been presented to date, allows to be called 'true evidence'.

Now while science is trying to solve the last remaining secret, the grand unified theory combining quantumn physics with classic physics, we can be sure to be able to explain 99% of the universe we live in, and the remaining 1 percent which we have a sneak peak at, here and there, does not look like superluminal traveling, wormholes and whatever is necessary to explain an extraterrestrial lifeform near earth.

so why should a rational thinking person state that they are convinced to have aliens here, when science says that in case of multiple theories which might fit for an explanation the easiest has to be preferred.

The principle in question is called 'Occams Razor'. And forgive me having problems to take people too serious, who are not able to step back and compare the multiple colliding theories which might explain a single sighting.

personally i have my problems to believe in the existence of extraterrestrial life, which is smart ernough to travel vast distances in space, but fails to avoid crashing in roswell, for example.

If you believe in the existence, and explain others what you believe is an evidence for it, you might bump into someone who has a much better understanding of physics, and seems to be ultra-sceptic.

And at some point your ego might get hurt when finding such a person. but if so .. you forgot that this person just put occams razor in place and cuts out the more complex theory, because Newton defined this to be the proper way to do. And guess what... if mankind would have ignored this way, we would still sit in our cave instead of watching the ISS streak across the sky.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

i have just watched your vid - and ??? i want a daylight shot from the same position

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
In observation of your statement that this 'object' hung out for several hours, and we didn't really see it move or anything in the video, have you considered the possibility that you might very well have been filming Jupiter?

That balcony or whatever it was you were filming from, it faces East, no? You were filming to the East?
That 'object' was in the Eastern part of the sky?

This object was also predictable enough for you to make 3 different videos of it?
Were these on 3 different nights at about the same time?

Planets have a tendency to rise in the East, like the moon, and the sun.
While low or close to the horizon as what you filmed seemed to be, some fun atmospheric effects are usually in play.

Just say'n.

All I saw in video was a bright ambiguous light that really didn't do anything UFOy.
It stayed in the same spot "hovering" as you describe it.
Jupiter and Venus are pretty darned bright, and they can surprise you if you are not familiar with them.

Further, in the video, it seems there's some sort of party or celebration going on, possibly with some liberal imbibing? One guy shouting in the background, repeating himself unnecessarily seems well into the 'spirit' of whatever gathering was going on.
If spirits of the liquid kind were indeed attending the party in abundance, this could also lead to a misidentification.

I mean no disrespect. I'm just stating my observations.

Misidentification isn't anything to feel too bad about.
There was even a whole police force scrambled to chase after the moon awhile back, and due to cloud movement, and turning roads with trees along roads, this chase of the moon created the illusion that it was moving while they gave chase.

Stranger things have happened when people get caught up in an 'idea'.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

your in luck because i do have a panoramic video i took of the place in day light, i just never uploaded it because i dont feel i need to prove it, i know what i saw

ill upload it and post a link in a few

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

all videos were taken the same night, and are on my youtube channel, you can see in the video that theres two of them from the beginning of the video to about halfway you can see that the lower one moves from left to right over time like its half circling the brighter one,

there was 4 or 5 of thease in the sky at one point, we were facing West not looking at a body of water or anything, lake ontario was to the north of me

top topics

<<   2 >>

join