It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Morality Police Bans Barbie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Barbie is a bad influence on young Iranian girls.

The ban on Barbie, first instituted in 1996 for the doll’s “destructive cultural and social consequences,” has since been flouted by many shopkeepers who don’t agree with the ban. But the morality police say Barbie must now be removed to protect the public from the erosion of Islamic values by Western culture.

The Washington Post

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by USN1983

I once read an article years ago about the dolls children play and the images these dolls portray, ie beautiful Barbie, ripped He-Man, combat ready GI Joe, etc. It would be interesting to compare Iranian children to American children, those with Barbie and those without Barbie, how to they compare?

In any case I'm sure Iran has other reasons for banning Barbie and that's their decision.
edit on 17-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by USN1983

The ban on Barbie, first instituted in 1996 for the doll’s “destructive cultural and social consequences,” has since been flouted by many shopkeepers who don’t agree with the ban. But the morality police say Barbie must now be removed to protect the public from the erosion of Islamic values by Western culture.

The Washington Post

Nice find. Watch though, the Islamic Agents on ATS will response to this thread with something like this:

1- They will not address the issue.

2- They will mention something that happened 100+ years ago that makes non-muslims look not so good.

3- Than they will say Washington Post is CIA

4- And if all else fails, they will just say Death to America.

Something like that. Watch! lol

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by USN1983

Um, supplying IED's, promoting terrorism, denying basic human rights. . . . is a good influence?

Iran is one messed up country.

And that's coming from an American!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
A ban on Barbie dolls? That's just un-American.

(sarcasm off)

The Wash. Post article struck me as a puff piece for further justification (albeit bizzare pretext) for military action against Iran; and no doubt some people will bite or have already bitten on the evils of culture and morality that diverges from their own.

(sarcasm on)

Swell.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
You'll probably find Iran is actually placing embargo's on U.S companys that export to Iran. This company in particular might just happen to ship barbie dolls.

I dunno, but that makes more sense, Iran is a pretty chilled out place. Parts of Tehran make Beverly Hills look like a U.S tent city.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
The United States bans many toys that are deemed "too controversial" or "unsafe". They outright deny them or force the company to go back to the drawing board and change it.

If I had a daughter, I would not let her use a "Barbie", either. It represents an ugly amount of materialism that I'm not comfortable with, and I'm not fond of the doll's history.

Originally posted by Ixtab
You'll probably find Iran is actually placing embargo's on U.S companys that export to Iran. This company in particular might just happen to ship barbie dolls.

I dunno, but that makes more sense, Iran is a pretty chilled out place. Parts of Tehran make Beverly Hills look like a U.S tent city.

This is more than likely what's "really" happening.
edit on 18-1-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join