It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Says So Long SOPA, Killing Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Obama Says So Long SOPA, Killing Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation

Link

The growing anti-SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) support that has swept through the gaming and Internet community found a very big ally today. With websites like Reddit and Wikipedia and gaming organizations like Major League Gaming prepared for a blackout on January 18th – the same day that the House Judiciary Committee hearing on HR 3261was scheduled in Washington, DC – President Barack Obama has stepped in and said he would not support the bill. SOPA has been killed, for now.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 17-1-2012 by DumbTopSecretWriters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.Party on people , SOPA IS DEAD.I knew it personally , the garbbage system would be dead before the court lol.Do you think it was staged? obama should be re elected? mmm fishy.Obama is going to sneak it in later and will give the appearance of having rejected it publicly. Until we get Ron Paul in office we will keep losing our freedoms.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Looks like good news, but it's not over yet. He said the same thing about the NDAA, and then signed it!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DumbTopSecretWriters

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.Party on people , SOPA IS DEAD.I knew it personally , the garbbage system would be dead before the court lol.Do you think it was stage? obama should be re elected? mmm fishy.Obama is going to sneak it in later and will give the appearance of having rejected it publicly. Until we get Ron Paul in office we will keep losing our freedoms.

I asked the same questions, with responses, in my thread few days ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Oh Obama, my hero....

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ExposingYou

Yeah , People should elect him for stopping sopa so i guess its over lol

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
PIPA is the same thing. Just a left version to the same ends. The bill aint dead. Just BS politics as usual.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I swear I was talking to my friends about the possibility of this happening weeks ago... Obama killing SOPA for public support.. all being a stage from the beginning
edit on 17-1-2012 by seenavv because: (no reason given)

link   
About time. How could someone support such a one sided bill..? There is NO benefit for us as a people to have this. It is just a sam up from the gov't to stop information they don't want people to see or act on.

Again, about damn time!

-SAP-

link   
Ahhh, I see now.

They are only throwing us a bone.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
What about PIPA? From what I'd read SOPA was pretty much dead for lack of concerted support anyway, it was PIPA that was alive and well in the senate. Can anyone who knows what's going on let me in on it? If I have recalled correctly, then this move by Obama probably is a cynical attempt to gain popularity off the back of a fait accompli.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
so at least we wont be held in indefinite detention for piracy. yay.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm sure Obama won't publicly support it.

He will just attach it to the next piece of worthless legislation he rams down our throats.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Good for him, finally doing something right for a change...I mean not that there wasn't massive pressure or facing a possible hurdle to reelection had anything to do with it

edit on 17-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
He also said he would veto NDAA...

I'm skeptical about this one. We should all know by now Obama says one thing and does another.
edit on 1/17/2012 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DumbTopSecretWriters

A friendly reminder people, just because a lying scumbag politician says he will not support this or that legislation does not mean he will not reverse himself when the time comes. Look at NDAA for a prime example.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
PIPA next perhaps?

Or is this the one that slips under the radar?

www.slashgear.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seenavv

Although Obama only has himself to blame for peoples skepticism there comes a point that when he does do something positive it should be noted as such. It seems to me that some people refuse to even allow for the possibility that this actually could be what it seems, a success. We should however be vigilant that something similar isn't pushed through later, but we should cross that bridge when we come to it!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Obama did something right?!

Smells fishy to me.

But I suppose some credit is due... Thanks Obama...

edit on 17-1-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hahahaha Obama probably read the bill and noticed he wouldn't be able to use torrents any more, or wouldn't have Wikipedia to quote from

new topics

top topics

join