It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Will Not Support SOPA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

www.huffingtonpost.com

House of Representatives bill SOPA and its Senate counterpart PIPA are designed to punish websites that make available, for example, free movies and music without the permission of the U.S. rights holders. Opponents of the bills, however, worry that the proposed laws would grant the Department of Justice too much regulatory power. Google Chairman Eric Schmidt has called the measures "draconian." Other Internet giants who oppose the bill include Facebook, eBay, Mozilla, Twitter, and Huffington Post parent company AOL.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Maybe this was all a set-up, so Obama could shut it down to gain votes and confidence... Because internet is a common interest amongst ALL North Americans for sure.

How did the bill get this far along, knowing it would get shut down? Interesting... Maybe it wasn't "tight" enough yet and was just an introductory? In a few year, it will be tweak and re-announced?

edit on 14-1-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

"Maybe this was all a set up"

Yes, and maybe I'm a three legged baby from mars. No, there was enough lobbying, corporate backing, and hidden deals in this whole SOPA thing that made it legit enough in my eyes. SOPA was and is still a real threat even if the White House doesn't support it. Yes, the president has to sign, but I've heard of signing statements and other things that could make the White Houses' disfavor irrelevant.

God forbid you agree with Obama on something. God forbid that Obama actually stands for something within your spectrum of belief. It must be a trick, an illusion of sorts.

Please, stop it ATS, stop it. You all know what I mean even if you pretend that you don't.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Yeah. Just like he wasn't going to sign the NDAA bill.

No smoke in mirrors here

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

However, if you take all of the letters from Obamas name and replace them with E.V.I.L. then his name would be Evil. Thats has got to mean something.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I thought the White House opposed the NDAA side language deal too (at first).

Then we heard how they insisted on some "specific language" (later).

Then it passed by wide margins (with the "requested" side deal).

Then we hear Obama have reservations as he signs it.

We have heard much public outcry for SOPA.

Then we hear Obama & Co. inc. say they have problems.

Then we hear Congress has problems.

When will we hear:

"OH my God, this is necessary" all of a sudden ?

This sounds like more political vermin.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Why start listening to the "will of the people" now?

When an overwhelming majority of people protested and fought the Obama healthcare law, we were ignored.

Now it's SOPA.

Like they care what we think.

And yes, this goes to Obama and every rat-bastard pol that wants this. Republican or democrat!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Well, if the White House is really going to let this die, then I agree it may be a set up. It wouldn't be the first time this administration or the last one for that matter, raised an issue with an extreme approach so it would be shot down. Then, they ride in with the "Compromise", which looks pretty good to the extreme version just put down. The set up being, of course, the 'compromise' version is what they'd intended all along....this way just gives it to them with a thank you, not a fight.

Let's see if this is another situation like that or they break the pattern and actually kill this for real. It sure needs to die...in letter and spirit. The whole raunchy thing.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

LOL dude
still can't accept the fact that the psychopath in residence played you?

maybe the rising amount of anger against it had something to do with it?

even if kingoreo won't sign it now you can be sure it'll be signed after elections

lol maybe Anon sent him an email that's caused him to change his mind

or maybe it's a repeat of ndaa and lacked the word "require" in it?

sheesh

stop idolizing trash

please

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Well that just confirms it, they will back SOPA.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Obviously the Whitehouse has been paying attention to powerful lobby groups like ATS!!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Maybe this was all a set-up, so Obama could shut it down to gain votes and confidence...

I do believe you said a mouth full there.

2012 Elections are getting closer. The Obama Electoral Machine is revving up. And unless we see a better alternative than Romney or Paul or anyone else that's already running for the GOP top-spot, y'all best buckle up for a fast ride in to 2nd term hell.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Although this seems to be good news for those of us against SOPA, Calgarian raises a good point.

However, this year is going to be ugly when it comes to people claiming the "timing of events" as proof of theory, considering the coming elections and 2012. We could be attacked by aliens and people would claim ties to the elections.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Maybe this was all a set-up, so Obama could shut it down to gain votes and confidence... Because internet is a common interest amongst ALL North Americans for sure.

How did the bill get this far along, knowing it would get shut down? Interesting... Maybe it wasn't "tight" enough yet and was just an introductory? In a few year, it will be tweak and re-announced?

Sounds very plausible to me... It looks like Obama is going to do anything to gain the support he has lost, but to be honest with you, I believe he has done too much damage to his name... He is a single term President...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Seriously op, this is kinda like Obama saying, i will not sentence American citizens into military jurisdiction on my watch. So does that mean as long as he is in office all of us are ok, or does SOPA mean, just around the corner

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
they will have it when they need essentially...perhaps it was just a little warning to us all that they have specific intentions and the plans to enact them

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
One last dit-bit, kinda feeling like we are back in Nazi-Germany, hell thinkin i need to go back to Germany, as my family left 3 generations ago, and maybe that is the new safe haven, as the U.S. is kinda-starting-to look a bit like Pol-Pot- just not issueing the orders yet, but is it coming

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by allprowolfy

ROFL!!

I thought ppl were supposed to deny ignorance on here....not flaunt it??

What is it you think Germany has that's so good that yuo don't have in hte USA??

Freedom of speech?? Nope - some pretty strict censorship & hate speech laws there. Also nice high taxes for the support of the unemployed. Plenty of left and right wing nutjobs tho - so perhaps you think they are nicer there than the equivalent in the US??
Except the left wing there are actually communist - not like the left wing in the US which is slightly to the right of Genghis Khan as far as the rest of hte world is concerned.....

Freedom from Govt "surveillance"? Freedom to pirate software??? You'll be in the EU so forget those ideas.

Go on - give us a laugh - tell us all why you'd rather live in Germany today??

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by allprowolfy

ROFL!!

I thought ppl were supposed to deny ignorance on here....not flaunt it??

What is it you think Germany has that's so good that yuo don't have in hte USA??

Freedom of speech?? Nope - some pretty strict censorship & hate speech laws there. Also nice high taxes for the support of the unemployed. Plenty of left and right wing nutjobs tho - so perhaps you think they are nicer there than the equivalent in the US??
Except the left wing there are actually communist - not like the left wing in the US which is slightly to the right of Genghis Khan as far as the rest of hte world is concerned.....

Freedom from Govt "surveillance"? Freedom to pirate software??? You'll be in the EU so forget those ideas.

Go on - give us a laugh - tell us all why you'd rather live in Germany today??

For starters, Germany puts their high school students into a job when they graduate, yes not college. Where you been green fruity one, free health care off of the masses taxes, not mandatory, which is coming and will be mandatory for all here, and, a standard of living which is higher in monetary, and living arreas, so laugh, fungal sack, you just make the case that U.S. citizens need a college education, as a high school education in the U.S. gives you nothing but a sense of Nationalism, and ignorace, thank you for fulling the obvious. Could say so much more, but this would be flagged.
edit on 14-1-2012 by allprowolfy because: dealing with a crack

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Hopefully SOPA and PIPA both fail!!

The last thing anyone should want is a censored internet for big business and politically correct nonsense.

Blogging and alternative sites is what made the internet great. If they shut down these two avenues then internet traffic will go way down, probably to the pre-2000 era. Bad business practice just to supposedly protect big labels.

Copyright laws have existed for a long time. Either ignore them or amend them and then enforce them to protect all the interested parties. I am getting sick and tired of trojan horse legislation that promises one thing and delivers the opposite.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join