It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Valerian used to curb/control alcohol withdrawal symptoms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
A good friend of mine has been a heavy drinker for about 10 years, and her life hit bottom about 1 1/2 years ago. I won't disclose her personal trials, but it has been a long hard road for her.

She finally decided she had enough but she refused the embarrassment of the doctor or professionals time and time again.So, this last Friday night we sat down together at the computer looking for a home remedy.

What we found was Valerian

This herb's chemical compounds have a sedative effect, soothing the nervous system. These chemicals, called valepotriates, occur in the highest concentrations in the herb's roots, according to Michael Castleman, author of "The Healing Herbs." The sedative effect of valerian root may help tame feelings of anxiety during withdrawal from alcohol. Read more: www.livestrong.com...

www.livestrong.com...

People use valerian to relieve anxiety, depression, and poor sleep, and also to ease menstrual and stomach cramps. Valerian has a mild calming effect that does not usually result in sleepiness the next day. As a sleep aid, valerian seems to be most effective for people who have trouble falling asleep and who consider themselves to be poor sleepers. It also has had good results for people who wake up during the night. Some studies show that valerian may provide quick relief for poor sleep

www.webmd.com...

Valerian has been compared to anxiety prescription drugs. Valerian affects the same nerve receptors as benzodiazepines. The most popular of these tranquilizers is Valium, which doctors have long prescribed to relieve symptoms of anxiety. The drug is also used to lessen the anxiety, agitation and tremors that occur during alcohol withdrawal.

www.mindpub.com...

So Saturday morning we went to the health food store and purchased Valerian.

She decided to have 2 strong drinks, one at 11 and one at 2, and a beer in between the two.
After she was done with the last drink, I asked her if she was ready to let me haul the alcohol away yet. (She was afraid of the wasted money, so I agreed to stash it safely for her in case she got the trembles or withdrawal symptoms that could lead to something more dangerous.) So I hauled the alcohol away.

About 5 o'clock she called and said was buzzed earlier and didn't mean it and wanted the alcohol back. I went over to her house with a VALERIAN Capsule, and talked her into taking that instead of the alcohol around 6pm.

We talked about various things for about 45 minutes, and all of a sudden she said "wow, I'm feeling better"
About an hour after taking the capsule she said her cravings were pretty much gone, and decided she would go to bed soon. She reported having trouble falling asleep even though she was tired, but slept through the night really well once she did fall asleep.

Sunday, day 2, by noon she was a bit agitated and wanted a capsule (but couldn't have it till evening). We walked and talked and went grocery shopping later in the afternoon. She made it through the day and took her capsule about 6 pm again.

She reported again that 45 minutes later, the cravings were much better and that an hour to 1 hr 15min after taking the capsule cravings were very tolerable, and had confidence she was going to make it. Had a hard hard time falling asleep again, but slept through the night.

Today, Monday, she was calling me at work by 2pm, crying. Heavy cravings, but she could make it till I got there. She had the Capsule about 4:30 pm this time, but she was making it.

She again reported the same time framed for reduced/diminished cravings.

This is the longest she has been alcohol free for a long, long time. I can't tell you how many times she has wanted to be alcohol free and not even made it through the day. She has not had any tremors or angry outbursts.

I thought I'd share the success so far, and I have high expectations that she is going to make it through this, after all the other failures. This natural herb seem to be helping TREMENDOUSLY.

Medical professionals should always be consulted of course, as alcohol withdrawl can be very dangerous or even fatal. But some people just refuse to seek professional help.

It's time for me to go check on her again soon, to make sure she's home, sober, and hopefully asleep. So I will be leaving this thread for a while. But I will be back!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
awesome I that she's willing to break the chain of alcohol.
it's one of the perfect addictions. easy and legal to get. and refreshing.

thank you for sharing the herbal remedy. my wife is a doctor of Chinese medicine and although western by nature, this just adds to the encompassing knowledge.

I really hope your friend can pull lthrough. quitting anything is hard.
and kudos to you for your superior support!

edit on 1/16/2012 by zooplancton because: iPad spelling...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
You deserve a huge stroke for the support you are giving - I'm afraid I failed with a friend of mine (long time ago) I tried to be there for her for about 2 years and in the end I couldn't take it anymore, I would have turned to alcohol myself if I'd stuck it any longer.

I have qualifications in counselling and believe in live and let live but still tried to help and failed. Guess your friend wants to be helped and is ready. GOOD LUCK your doing a great job.

S&F for raising this issue that is too often swept under the carpet.

Keep us updated!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Valerian is good but there's other things as well that are extremely beneficial that can be added to help support the process.. especially anything that will help support liver health / recovery .. and further reduce cravings

Taurine has been shown to help stop, if not reverse the damaging effects of alcohol in the liver.
Milk Thistle and Dandelion are also helpful
B-Vitamins
L-Cysteine helps clear toxins caused by alcohol
L-Glutamine helps control blood sugar and reduce alcohol cravings ..

edit on 1/16/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Ahh.. I think that also being a good friend helps, because valarian for me is a nominal sleep aid and nothing more. And that's in a sufficiently high dose, and I can still remain awake.

The combination of the capsule and ur company would be what I'd suggest helped. One to lessen the anxiety and the other for distraction and a natural 'feel good' chemical release.

It also appears that she does indeed feel her time to quit is now. Another big factor.

I'm not negating your thread by any means, but having been there repeatedly, I know it takes more than one thing to combat this insidious disease. But if it can help anyone, then thank u for this thread (and the many previous incantations lol) so S&F my friend. U sound like a good person, that can sometimes be the straw that breaks the addictions back.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Taurine has been shown to help stop, if not reverse the damaging effects of alcohol in the liver.

I think Taurine gets a bad rap most of the time, it's in all those energy drinks so people assume it's a stimulant, when it is in fact a calmative and helps lower blood pressure. It is added to high caffeine drinks to combat the nervous edge they give.

It's even in kitten milk u buy from stores lol red bull gives you wings, so obviously meant to imply taurine is a stimulant..

I wanted to buy bulk taurine online, but could not find anywhere... pity

Good list!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Good list!

Now! nutrition sells 1,000mg bottles on Amazon for a reasonable price ($8.62 for 100 caps) .. Taurine indeed has a bad reputation that isn't deserved.. as you said, it's not a stimulant at all ..

Taurine is a conditionally essential amino acid which is not utilized in protein synthesis, but is mainly found free in most tissues, especially throughout the nervous system. Taurine has been found to be important in the formation of bile salts, cell membrane stabilization, and eye health. Taurine is well known for its role in the modulation of neurotransmitter activity and its relaxing effect on the mood.*

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by mainidh

Good list!

Now! nutrition sells 1,000mg bottles on Amazon for a reasonable price ($8.62 for 100 caps) .. Taurine indeed has a bad reputation that isn't deserved.. as you said, it's not a stimulant at all ..

Taurine is a conditionally essential amino acid which is not utilized in protein synthesis, but is mainly found free in most tissues, especially throughout the nervous system. Taurine has been found to be important in the formation of bile salts, cell membrane stabilization, and eye health. Taurine is well known for its role in the modulation of neurotransmitter activity and its relaxing effect on the mood.*

I got curious and just did a new search for it online, and found a website that I can order 1kg from for $70 or so I'm rather happy about that! I'm not sure why I couldn't find it previously, but that was a few years back.

The anxiolytic effects combined with the other health benefits are definitely worth it, as it is, my anxiety really impacts on things, so I'm glad you posted, and got me thinking about it!!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Arghghgh... you had to post this tonight! I'm considering going 120 ounces...

I'll subscribe to follow up on this thread in the next few days, but if I recall about Valerian, it has a swift tolerance so can't be used consistently for long. Sorry if this response is shortsighted - pass along my blessings - and His - to your friend.

Take care, and thanks...will follow up on this.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I just started to cut down also..

I am tired of the abuse i am doing to my body..

been drinking beer for years now..

I have Valerian root in my house..

should i try it too...

scared here..

can't sleep since i cut back on the beer consumption..

was doing 13-15 beers a night..

now i am down to a 6 pack..

but i keep waking up at 2 am...

tired....

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove

should i try it too...

scared here..

tired....

I do think that there is a difference between sleeping and drinking. I have sever insomnia, and drinking as well as over the counter sleeping pills can get me to sleep, but I am fully aware that there is some damage that comes with it.

I have a very high tolerance for most things. Since my surgery my metabolism is horrible, and if I drink and sleep I most likely wake up buzzed, or severely hung over. Which again isn't good. I have yet to find a way to do one or the other.

I hate the taste of both liquor and beer, but my brain reminds me that this is the way to get some real sleep. I have been fighting it as much as I can, but it is difficult, in order for me to stop one, I have to do to much of the other.

I have a friend that has been drinking heavily for many years, and when he tried to go cold turkey he had a stroke, that left half of his face paralyzed. When he started drinking again he got better.

I would hate to think that this is how the withdrawal would be for many that are only trying to make their lives better.

I see nothing wrong with having a few, or even getting tipsy, but to have it used or prescribed to yourself in order to compensate for something else cant be good.

I will look into this, and post what I can.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

should i try it too...

scared here..

tired....

Valarian root is basically what is in the capsules. You can steep 1-2 teaspoons in hot water for a few minutes, but beware, it stinks like rotten socks and might need some honey to help sip it.

It does have a swift tolerance, I was taking these tablets called Swiss Sleep, or something similar, and they contained mostly valarian, and the first night I took way more than it said to, but only because I know from previous use it takes a lot to knock me down to a sedate state of mind... and the first night I slept like a log.

Since then, the price of $30 a bottle of 60 was not worth it.

Passiflora is another plant that can help ease the mind, but usually you get the lot with otc or store bought herbal sleep aids.

Just stay away from anti-histamine based ones. horrible. I wish tptb would stop legislating against herbs, I cant even import many from interstate as they are considered bad or problematic by the quarantine authority in my state. They want you on expensive and prescription medications, tied to a tether that keeps you at their door.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

She is also taking the B vitamins, but I think I will suggest the milk thistle and dandelion to her.
Thank you!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

should i try it too...

scared here..

tired....

Great job on cutting back! I think you should try the valerian. A good night's sleep or two is apparently what you need, and if it doesn't work. It would be worth a try...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I tried to quit cold turkey when I was younger, about 23, went into seizures. Now 38 been sober for awhile, I can pass along that quitting alcohol cold turkey is dangerous, (if you are a daily drinker)

Besides being dangerous which is first and foremost it also;
1 will mess with your sleep (wake up middle of the night, or just insomnia) until your body gets used to putting itself to sleep as opposed to passing out.
2. It will make you very depressed for awhile (it is referred to as "impending doom feeling")
3. you will probably crave candy or ice cream for awhile (there is so much sugar in alcohol, your body craves the sugar)
4. Lot's of sweating especially while sleeping.
5. Your head will feel "foggy" for awhile. (sometimes months after quitting)

There are more things associated with heavy drinking, but these are some that almost all heavy drinkers feel.

Just wanted to add... 15 years later my life is better than I could imagine, and my head is "clear" It was tough as hell at first but now it is not an issue at all!!

Good luck to those of you trying to kick King Alcohol.
edit on 1/17/2012 by HiHoAZaway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
after seeing this thread i went out and bought some valerian from the drug store.
i'm going to give it a try tonight.
i drink about 20-30 oz of wine every eve. and i have been drinking this amount for about 15 years, and i'm always beating myself up for it.

i'll let you know if it works.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Valerian root is AWESOME!

I used to get panic attacks about 8yrs ago and I didn't like xanax, it made me a zombie. I wan't to function and not feel so lethargic all day like i was hungover. I found valerian root thanks to a nurse in the hospital who told me her husband had panic attacks and he used valerian root. It was amazing! I slept great and didn't feel lethargic. However I couldn't take it often because it was too much on my stomach which was something the health food store told me could happen. I did find a valerian root mixture with skull cap and other ingredients that weren't as harsh on my stomach and I am quite happy with it.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
reply to post by miniatus

She is also taking the B vitamins, but I think I will suggest the milk thistle and dandelion to her.
Thank you!

Make sure she gets the sublingual B vitamins or a shot from her doc. I say this because the stomach and liver degrade a ton of the vitamins once it is swallowed so to get the best benefit sublingual is better. The shot is best.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
OP

Please be very careful when detoxing from Alcohol, it is very dangerous. An Alcoholic can actually die from going 'cold-turkey', re: Amy Winehouse.

I am a Nurse working within the Criminal Justice system and work with Alcoholics and Drug Addicts everyday, from Day One of their sentence, setting up their detox programme through to the whole programme.

I do strongly advise you get Professional help if anyone is seriously considering detox from Alcohol or Drugs.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Wotan: I'd like to see a source for Amy Winehouse dying of detox.

OP

Valerian is fantastic! I've had a few friends kick a few different addictions with the help of Valerian.

Let's say she is put in a detox center, chances are they are going to medicate her with -something else- to get her through it. Let me tell you, -something else- withdrawal is no joke. Not only that but they mimic the effects of alcohol -very- well. If the detox gets out of your control, take her to the ER and explain. It can take a while to get a bed in a detox center, but if she is having seizures then it's ER time. They can keep her/treat her until a bed comes open, if that even happens. I have known many alcoholics kick this beast on their own, it's totally possible.

That being said, Valerian is rarely tied to liver damage over the long term. The connection here is uncertain, but after this is all said and done she would be well advised to get a liver panel run just to make sure everything is functioning as it should be.

Rarely, liver damage has been linked to valerian, although it is uncertain whether valerian, contaminants, or other herbs caused the damage. Those who take valerian should tell their doctors so that their liver function can be monitored

More about that here

The real kicker for her is going to be after this detox is over. Unlike other substances which you have to procure from shady sources, alcohol is everywhere. It's legal. Every time she walks in a grocery store or pays for her gas, she will be tempted.

The other thing is that after you kick an addiction, the reasons that you started with it in the first place start to emerge. Whatever it is that she has been covering up or dulling with drinking is going to be there staring her in the face. This can be really upsetting ESPECIALLY when one's body and brain is trying to recover from what she has been putting it through. I can't say enough great things about Alcoholics Anonymous to do them any justice.

If AA is not her bag, Rational Recovery is a little more private and a little less "cultish" Rational Recovery depending on where she lives there might be meetings, but they have significantly less meetings than Alcoholics Anonymous so that might be her only option. Chances are her circle of friends revolved around a favorite drinking hole, and they enabled her. In order to build a sober group of friends, the meetings are the best way. She doesn't have to buy in to anything they say, she doesn't even have to talk, but being there will help her tremendously.

You are absolutely incredible for helping her with this. Stay strong, going to her first meeting with her would be really helpful.

Hope this helps...

One day at a time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join