It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran Holds Major Military Exercises Near Border

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Hundreds of thousands of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards, involving missiles, fighter aircraft and helicopters are right now holding a massive exercise near border of Iraq

www.newsday.com...

Hundreds of thousands of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards began military maneuvers Sunday near the border with Iraq, with a top commander saying the exercise was designed to reinforce Iran's resolve to defend itself against "big powers."

Iran, which views the United States as an arch foe, is concerned about the U.S. military presence in Iraq, to the west of Iran, and in Afghanistan, to the east of Iran.

President Bush has described Iran as part of an "axis of evil," along with North Korean and Iraq under the ousted dictator Saddam Hussein.

Gen. Yahya Rahim Safavi, the chief of the Revolutionary Guards, told state radio that "hundreds of thousands" of troops were taking part in the nine-day maneuvers in western Iran.

The exercises would involve missiles, fighter aircraft and helicopters, Zolqadr said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So many troops...

Do they want a piece of Iraq?

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran Holds Major Military Exercises Near Border

[edit on 2006/4/25 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, they can have it.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

So many troops...

Do they want a piece of Iraq?

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran Holds Major Military Exercises Near Border

[edit on 2004/9/12 by Hellmutt]

Or maybe they want a piece of us. 200,000 plus Shia Iranians on our southern flank has got to make the Brass uncomfortable.

Hot Topics on Nations Around the World
Does the U.S. have the capability to invade Iran?
Why was Iran-Iraq war started (Y US helped Iraq)
American is trying to colonize Iran!
Iran resumes building Nuclear Centrifuge
Iran warns of preemptive strike to prevent attack on nuclear sites
www.newsday.com...]www.newsday.com

The entire world knows our land forces are stretched. We certainly control the air and sea. But all those Shia heading for Baghdad would certainly change things.
A chilling thought.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Dear GW:

How about Iran infiltrates Iraq and boosts aid to Shia insurgents, basically uses whole Air Force to wipe out US CBGs in the Gulf, declares Shia holy war against the infidels and starts pouring across Shat Al-Arab and any place else where they might have some protection from air. With US forces nearly UNABLE to leave their bases without up-armored convoys a'blazing, we'd have a hell of a time fighting that.

How about the loss of the Gulf, two CBGs and an uncontrollable land war mixed with insange insurgents in the rear, how's that float your boat, GW?

What does Iran have to lose? If I were them, that's what I'd do, especially if China or Russia gave us some under the table help. It's not like China and Russia want to see US hegemony in the Gulf and Central Asia, now do they?

China and Russia are being quiet because the US is making enough mistakes on its own.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The U.S. isn't making any mistakes. It wants Iran to get brave and maybe even stupid enough to attack us. I don't care if they had half a million troops... they can't come close to us technologically. We'd run unending bombing raids as well as well placed missle strikes and the old gunships would probably pull their weight too.

If they were so foolish as to make an offensive with so many troops... they'd simply be sacrificing the bulk of their military. Iraq's military was supposed to be so tough and mean and we ran through them almost as if they weren't there. Also, any enemy aircraft that even pretends to take aggressive action against us could be considered lost from the moment it leaves the airstrip.

Both French and Russian authorities have declared the U.S. to be a Hyper-Power, meaning that we are economically and militarily far superior to every other nation on Earth. I don't care how "stretched" out our forces are. At this point in time there is no one anywhere who can stand against us... especially Iran lol.

By abandoning anti ballistic-missle shield treaties, the Brits and Australians have shown that they are with us for the ride (regardless of how the population feels lol). With those two well trusted allies... no one is going to give us a real fight. I say that we have nothing to fear.

Like Rome, the U.S. empire will colapse with time, I just hope it's not in my lifetime lol.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by fortunate1
Iraq's military was supposed to be so tough and mean and we ran through them almost as if they weren't there.

I agree about running through them as if they weren't even there, but I don't think anyone ever thought they had much bite. There were only like, 30 or 40 thousand of them or so at most? And that was before morale attrition. Some one correct me if I am wrong, but I think this comic depicts how I thought the fight was

www.mnftiu.cc...

Anyway, I agree that from what is known Iran would be foolish to make any kind of move against the US. They wouldn't be able to make too much headway east or west, but once they retreated back to their mountains we would probably not be able to pursue because the US military doesn't have the troops to dedicate to that kind of operation. However, if Iran has something really big up their sleeves that could take us by surprise (like, for example, if they decided to use an untested nuke or two) they could maybe get a blitzkreig going and rely on speed and surprise to make some ground.

[edit on 13-9-2004 by spngsambigpants]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Even a superpower can make mistakes. One of Rome's biggest losses was the destruction of the 17th, 18th, and 19th legions in Germania in 9ad. That was 33,000 of the world's finest military lost. Comparitively, that's like the total US forces in the Persian Gulf right now. Overconfidence kills.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I think I have heard that phrase "elite revolutionary guards" before....who are they kidding.

bring it on.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by moxyone
I think I have heard that phrase "elite revolutionary guards" before....who are they kidding.

bring it on.

Ok. You and Rambo can go running around cauterizing your own bullet wounds and blowing up the elite revolutionary guards or whatever with explosive arrows.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The Iranian government is not invading anybody and dose not wants a piece of Iraq, they are protecting their borders from an Invasion US invasion and the taking of their oil.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
wake up marge.

we are already at war w/ Iran...we just happen to be fighting it in Iraq.

can i hear a stanza of "We are the world"?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Perhaps Iran was preparing to take a "pre-emptive" strike against a known terrorist country (illegal Nicaraguan war anyone?), loaded with reams of WMD, that had used them against civilian populations (Hiroshima, Nagasaki), had publicly labeled them as the enemy (axis of evil) and, ignoring the wishes of the UN world court and security council, launched a war of aggression against a soveriegn nation....

In their shoes, kiddies, what would you be doing right now?

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voice_of Doom
Perhaps Iran was preparing to take a "pre-emptive" strike against a known terrorist country (illegal Nicaraguan war anyone?), loaded with reams of WMD, that had used them against civilian populations (Hiroshima, Nagasaki), had publicly labeled them as the enemy (axis of evil) and, ignoring the wishes of the UN world court and security council, launched a war of aggression against a soveriegn nation....

In their shoes, kiddies, what would you be doing right now?

humm...I guess the UN and most of the world were not saying that something had to be done against Iraq before the war, even Clinton said something must be done even if we had to go to war....so were saying many if not most democrats also...

BTW....half of the countries of the UN are dictatorships, assassins that don't give much though (without using another word) to their own people, most of their people are hungry or/and oppressed (you want to know oppression, go live in one of these supposedly wise and kind governments...)...and you want the US to listen to whom?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
What i see that is happening is that most of the world wants the US to listen and do what they say, to pretty much follow their orders (read UN, or at least some countries in the UN) but they also always warn the US to stay away from their internal conflicts and politics...

Never before has the US needed other countries to monitor "our" elections..... Bush decided to agree with this because at this time if he, and his administration, would have said otherwise it would have looked like they had something to hide, but Kerry, if he ever becomes president, wants to leave the nation's future in the hands of the UN......so the UN plays an important role in our politics.....and rule our lives perhaps...

*shakes head*

These are very dangerous times indeed....

Who wants the US to be a lackey of the UN?? Anyone?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
hey there just a thought from an Iranian.

I don't mean to be racist but Arabs/Moslems hijacked Iran years ago. We were told hey there is Islam either you accept it or we kill you. And so they did! Lots of Persians fell on various battles trying to keep orcs out. Guess what we lost. Iran became Moslem, libraries with millions of books burnt and the rest is history! However evil might dominate for a period but it never prevails.

About 90 years ago we started to claim our country back and with the help of American friends we were well on our way to freedom, democracy and prosperity. But guess what we lost again to Islam and Arabs. The black turbaned ruler of Iran are not Iranian, they even don�t look like average Iranian. They are Arab descendents who have hijacked Iran and are trying to use it to spread their filth. Moslems would not have had access to nuclear technology in a million years and lets hope that they never will.

Anyway in short Iran is sick. It is infected with virus (Islam) that is driving it to death. Some say that a sick body can be healed some say it has to die. I hope that with international help we can fix Iran if not as hard as it is for me to bear, I am willing to see it bombed to ground if it means that we can save ourselves from the Arab/Moslem infection. you are right U.S. is militarily supreme but as till 25 years ago Iran was Americas little brother in MidEast and because of that even today after 25years of sickness(metaphorically offcourse) Iran is still powerful. I hope somehow we find a way to get rid of Moslem invaders without much Persian or American blood spilled. I think Arabs have cost us enough blood already

I hope I made some sense.
some of us still consider U.S. and Israel Friends and the present rulers blood sucker enemies.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by zurvan
hey there just a thought from an Iranian.

I don't mean to be racist but Arabs/Moslems hijacked Iran years ago. We were told hey there is Islam either you accept it or we kill you. And so they did! Lots of Persians fell on various battles trying to keep orcs out. Guess what we lost. Iran became Moslem, libraries with millions of books burnt and the rest is history! However evil might dominate for a period but it never prevails.

That is the story, and the history, of most of the Middle East. The true natives of Iraq, Iran and other countries of the ME were not ethnically Arabs. The people of the Middle East became Arabs because, as you say, they were conquered by Moslems, they were forced to convert and learn Arabic. In many cases these people were taxed heavily if they did not convert. No one could really pay these high taxes so they became Muslims.

The knowledge that the Moslems are attributed to have given to the world, came mostly from the Assyrian Christians and other non-muslim groups, who are the true native people of Iraq and some parts of Iran.

The earlier Moslems were nomads who raided caravans, and later on decided to settled in those places they conquered.

Many of the true people of the Middle East have non-Arab ethnic backgrounds. Many of them are Armenians, Assyrians, Circassians, Gypsies, Persian, Kurds, Turkomen etc, and most of them were forced to learn Arabic and accept Islam as their religion.

There are still some Assyrian Christians living in Iraq, as well as other non-arab people who have been, and in some cases still are, victims of radicalism. Saddam had waged a war with many of these people also.

But, I would say that most Muslims, those that are not radical, are good people. Its just the small percentage who are radicals, in some countries they are the majority and they unfortunately number in the millions. But i disagree with you that all Muslims are bad people.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Ofcourse I never meant all Arabs are bad or even are Arabs are moslem if it was like that then the solution was ez

but the other way is true though. most badies are moslems and most moslems are Arabs thats all.

stats %50 of Saudies support Osama!

over and out.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Yeah and Saudi Arabian government is monarchy kind of like Iran under the Shah. Look what happened in Iran, right up until revolution no one realized the people were about to go ballistic. Same thing could happen in Saudi Arabia. Eventually people go nuts under dictators, and religion is the universal social fallback for oppression.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Ethnic groups:
Persian 51%, Azeri 24%, Gilaki and Mazandarani 8%, Kurd 7%, Arab 3%, Lur 2%, Baloch 2%, Turkmen 2%, other 1%
Religions:
Shi'a Muslim 89%, Sunni Muslim 9%, Zoroastrian, Jewish, Christian, and Baha'i 2%
Languages:
Persian and Persian dialects 58%, Turkic and Turkic dialects 26%, Kurdish 9%, Luri 2%, Balochi 1%, Arabic 1%, Turkish 1%, other 2%
www.cia.gov...

It seems there are very few Arabs in Iran and even less speak the language. More than half are Persian and that is the dominant language.
On the other hand. The Persian religion of Zoroastrian is practiced by less than 2% of the population, a dash of Sunni at 9%, and the vast majority Shi'a, just as in Iraq.
The question is are the bonds of ethnicity stronger than the bonds of religion. In this time and age I would say religion. And I would further say we are in a religious war. That is excluding Halliburton and The Administration of our Nation they are in a economic war.

"the enemy of my enemy is my enemy, Jihad!"

TUT

p.s.-Military manpower - availability:
males age 15-49: 20,937,348 (2004 est.)
p.s.-

[edit on 14-9-2004 by tututkamen]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
what happens to the people who don't have a religion?

you see these stat are ignoring a lot of iranians who like others understand that religion is bs. as you know most if Iranian population is young and most of them don't buy any of this moslem jumbo mumbo.

but yeah I mean ofcourse democracy is the ideal form of government.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join