It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran Holds Major Military Exercises Near Border

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I have not followed it lately but around 6 months ago [?] there was a large nation wide movement of students and workers demonstrating in the streets calling for reform of the executive branch. The government dispatched roving bands of Fundamentalists on motorcycles to disperse and beat protesters. At the time they were appealing for help from the west. A renegade student radio station was broadcasting news of the demonstrations. However it appears that the movement was successfully subdued. I know little of it, but for awhile it was strong and I had hoped for growth.

TUT

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
The nation is ready for change, but I guess as we can all see now, liberation by a foreign army doesn't always please people who still have nationalistic sympathies that are stronger than governmental sympathies.

Last time we used an army to have a regime change. It hasn't worked so far. Maybe this time we'll use diplomacy and economics.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
There is probably no way to bring change in these nations with Islamic governments besides military action whether it be internal or external. The people that are in power, maintain that power through the use of religion as a social control. These men are not going to simply hand over their authority to the people. As long as those nations are being ruled under Islamic law, the leaders have nearly absolute power. If they were to take true steps toward democracy, then those leaders would lose most if not all of that power.

I dislike the idea of us or anyone other than Iran bringing about that change... but if they were to have a revolution then they'd at least need our help. I'd like to see the people of Iran and all of the other Islamic nations become the friends of the United States once again. Actually, I'd like to see every religious, ethnic, political and ideological group in the world learn to be friends, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Every human on earth is more similar than dissimilar anyway, right?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If I were Iran, I would have lots of military exercises...

Iran’s reformist government said Monday it saw no chance of direct talks with the United States and would only begin even thinking of such a step if Washington stopped using ”threatening language”.

“We have said before that if anyone wants to talks to us in a threatening language, we will adopt the same tone,” government spokesman and cabinet secretary Abdollah Ramazanzadeh told reporters.

“But if they stop these threats and deal with us as equals and forget preconditions, we will think about the possibility of negotiating with this government,” he added.

In recent days US officials have hardened their tone against the Islamic republic, which US President George W. Bush has already lumped into an “axis of evil”.

Cheney also warned that Israel might launch a pre-emptive strike on its own to shut down Iran’s nuclear programme.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Hundreds of thousands of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards, involving missiles, fighter aircraft and helicopters are right now holding a massive exercise near border of Iraq

Back to the original topic.....

With all the talk of US Special Forces doing reconnaissance of targets in Iran I see this excersise as a perfect opportunity to shake things up / move things about if you prefer. If I were Iran I would do just that, make any intelligence gathered so far irrelevant by shifting my troops and equipement.

Any thoughts on this?

[edit on 24-1-2005 by palg1]

[edit on 24-1-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Zurvan,
Welcome to the world community.
America will welcome the day the fundamentalist islamist extremeist are no longer in power, and Iran can enjoy democracy and becomming an upstanding member of the world community.

Most Americans can tell that Islam is not really to blame, but has been hijacked into a fundamentalist movment meant to draw the weak willed, downtrodden people into a cause. True Islam will also be welcomed as a world religion of peace once it thrown off the shackles of violence.

As for the Iranian millitary manouvers...
good for them, have them....practice up, make sure your ready IF you think you need to fight....
BUT
if you can really convince yourselves that youd be able to dent the USA's millitary youd be dreaming.

I think those in charge know this, but they know that they cant portray weakness or inabillity to control their millitary in the face of such a threat OR to their population, or they risk loosing control.
this is saber rattling....

I think that if we knew where their forces were, really close to the iraq boarder, we should drop a few MOAB's on the iraqi side (empty desert but within sight/sound) and see how brave those iranian soildiers feel their rhetoric is when given a display.
As if seeing Iraq taken out with little effort wasnt already lesson enough.
the enemy they fought for 10 years was wiped out in short order, leaving only struggling insurgants to skulk in the night and use cowardly tactics.

Hopefully IF Iran ever does have to conflict with the USA, their soldiers will have the guts to keep their uniforms on, fight as an organization, and know how to at least fight civilized both as a unit and with their prisioners (should they get some). Honor would help they in the aftermath...

Japan surrendered, and now they are a respected member of the world community. Their defeat led to their nation prospering. Same with Germany.
There is no reason to think that Iran or Iraq cant do the same.

PS to Irans government...dont slip up...it will cost you dearly!
Practice up with that army, but if you push it, we'll take it out...you gotta know there is already a ready action plan with your name on it.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

So many troops...
Do they want a piece of Iraq?

Simply banging their sticks, just like the Bush monkeys....when you get right down to it...like that scene in 2001...

It wouldn't surprise me to see an Iranian sandwich by year's end (invading from Iraq and Afghanistan) if this back and forth rhetoric continues...

Hell, his inaugural speech pretty much sent the message loud and clear....*sigh*

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The Iranian government is not invading anybody and dose not wants a piece of Iraq, they are protecting their borders from an Invasion US invasion and the taking of their oil.

And this comes from your knowledge of past events involving Iran Marg?....or perhaps from you knowing personally Khatami?... Did he tell you this?....

I have already posted in the past links which proved that Iran has a history, even recent history, of dispute and war over territory which is not theirs to begin with...you need me to bring up these links again?....

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Simply banging their sticks, just like the Bush monkeys....when you get right down to it...like that scene in 2001...

Bush monkeys.....wow i am hurt Gazrok....
Typical of the left to resort to insults....can't argue in an intelligent manner?... let's insult and demean, that should do the job right?..... what else was i expecting....that is the motto of the left....

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Bush monkeys.....wow i am hurt Gazrok.... Typical of the left to resort to insults....can't argue in an intelligent manner?... let's insult and demean, that should do the job right?..... what else was i expecting....that is the motto of the left....

By Bush monkeys, I mean his administration, not his supporters...and the fact that he looks like a chimp, hehe...and his whole term has been like watching a badly performing monkey.

I am hardly "left". I think that Bush's father was an amazing man, and did a lot more good than he was given credit for. I'm not a big fan of Clinton, and only chose Kerry as the thought of another 4 years of Bush was simply too much to risk a vote for my preferred candidate, Badnarik.

I insult the administration as it has done nothing to not deserve such insults. It's the most piss poor conglameration of fools ever to run the country that I love....and it breaks my heart to see them running it into the ground. The idiots can't even believe their own intelligence information and then invade a sovereign nation based on lies, and then can't even own up to it. They then turn up the rhetoric to every other enemy we have out there, almost on a daily basis.

Yes, they (the administration) are behaving like a group of monkeys...constantly flinging poo until it comes to blows.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
The idiots can't even believe their own intelligence information and then invade a sovereign nation based on lies, and then can't even own up to it. They then turn up the rhetoric to every other enemy we have out there, almost on a daily basis.

Yes, they (the administration) are behaving like a group of monkeys...constantly flinging poo until it comes to blows.

And was the Bush administration or the Clinton administration the only ones who "came up with these lies that you claim"?....

Remember to deny ignorance Gazrok, most of the world's intelligence was pointing to the fact that Saddam was once more acquiring banned materials and weapons, and was at least working on wmd programs. The problem was that countries like China, Russia, North Korea, France, germany and others had their hands in the cookie jar named Oil For Food program.

Deny ignorance Gazrok, you must have seen the reports that these same countries that didn't want to back the US in the war were making illegal deals, which went against the sanctions they themselves agreed to have on Iraq, meanwhile about 2 million iraqis or more died.

You have been here long enough to have seen the reports, not only from the US or the UK, that point to the fact that the US and coalition did not make up any claims, and if you want to go over those "claims of yours once more" I will once more put up all the intelligence reports.

Do you care to once more go over those points, or should I say claims?........

---edited for errors---

[edit on 24-1-2005 by Muaddib]

<< 1   >>

join