It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHITEHOUSE REJECTS SOPA Rupert Murdoch SNAPS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Maybe he is taking a que from Ron Paul. It is surprising news.

Also, Murcdoch and crew just sound like a bunch of .....
They are upset because the chance for them to get filthy rich is out of the window
edit on 15-1-2012 by ImmortalThought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I worked as a writer, and the industry is a cesspool of thieves just like our government. My work was stolen, renamed and then aired on VH1. I was in the middle of a divorce and couldnt pursue anything against Dina Panageteau and Howerd Stern "the Lawyer". If you know these names then you know it was Anna Nicole's Smiths people that did this.

Nothing is safe or sacred when you try to do honest business with showbusiness. Any loophole is taken advantage of, nothing is in the spirit of coorperation.

This is why i will hate the industry I was born to be in. I did get a chance to work with Larry the Cable guy, and that man is a feaking angel. I was his bodydouble in 2007 55 pounds ago in Vegas. a good man through and through.

-Matt

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
reply to post by Unknown Soldier

i cannot post my reply about this murdock fella,it would probly get me banned

As do i

If i was at liberty to speak on what i think about this scoundrel definetly at least manners and decorum stike after all is said and done. When i say powermad lunatic control freak puppet employed by his lobbyist handlers I mean it in the nicest way

He definetly deserves a Roast

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Excellent points, why is a power mad and technologically inept man like this even in the position to dictate what we can/cant do with the internet? One would think someone with some little bit of understanding of the constitution and the internet at least would know better. Poor Ol poopert must be soiling his depends

edit on 15-1-2012 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I tell you what ruining the Cinema, and it isnt online pirating..

Its the price of eating there. Medium popcorn sets you back £4. Drinks cost £3.50 and normal bags of Moultesers cost £2.80.

So, not only does it now cost £8.50 for one ticket, but after buying food - it takes your costs to nearly £30, to go see a mvoie and not starve for the 2 hour your in there.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Not to mention the crap Hollywood movies, that are all the same, little story line, lots of explosions and special fx. I actually find going to the cinema a bit of an assault on the senses.

Back to Rupert, Murdoch has always advocated paying for any copyright material on the internet. I remember seeing an interview where he says he believes all copyrighted material will have to be payed for in the future. He was one of the first to bring in paid subscription for his titles.
edit on 16-1-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Not sure if you are applauding the President for this or not. Are you adult enough to give credit where credit is due or are you still a petulant child just laying there with the feet kicking in a tantrum no matter what happens, no matter how your "guardian" tries to pacify your whining.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Not sure if you are applauding the President for this or not. Are you adult enough to give credit where credit is due or are you still a petulant child just laying there with the feet kicking in a tantrum no matter what happens, no matter how your "guardian" tries to pacify your whining.

Umm what the heck are you talking about? I am not applauding Obummer, I guess your lack of interpretation skills has failed you from my op. Obummer as in Bummer ya know a failure = Obama. But if he is not going to back this bill after all yes i believe that is progress. So what are you saying you support SOPA? Is this an admittance? At least try to sound coherent here troll.

Anyhoo anyone remember this?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
So no one seems to have stepped on the elephant in the room, so I will. When Mr. Murdoch pays his personal income taxes in AMERICA, then he can rant and rave about AMERICAN leaders all he wants. It's funny, I think, that if this guy had spoke out against a conservative/republican president, this board wouldn't be about SOPA, it would be about a foreigner sticking his head where it doesn't belong, and most of you would be rushing to defend the Pres. Against some FOREIGNER. Funny how I am seeing none of that now. Is it maybe because we have a Kenyan as president, or is it just people not giving credit where credit is due? I'm going to go with the credit option, because as the right has so clearly demonstrated since Nov. 2008, they will run this country into the ground if it means Obama only get s one term.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Watch the hate campaign that the Murdoch Media empire unleashes now. Rupert has been forcing governments around the world into implementing these internet censorship policies and anyone that doesn't comply, takes too long, or doesn't go far enough with the new laws suffers an unrelenting campaign at hate aimed at removing them from government. Just ask Kevin Rudd.

Rupert wants to be able to sue anyone who he belives has plagerised any part of one of his propaganda machines. His argument is that it costs him money to pay for journalists to travel the world to report on world events only to have a blogger use the information. The hide of this man. You would be lucky to find one real journalist in his entire organisation. They get their stories via their imagination or by plagerising peoples private phone messages.

I think Rupert may have ruffled the wrong feathers because lately it seems like there is a major effort to tear down the Murdoch empire. He has recently failed in bids to purchase ABC Australia, Sky in the UK and his newspaper empire in the UK has been shut down due to the phone hacking scandel.

If anyone ever doubts the extent of influence Murdoch has on international affairs consult wikileaks. Here is a couple of examples-

'Ha'aretz quoted U.S. sources as saying yesterday that the summit would be attended by President Bush,
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, and Jordan's King Abdullah II, and that it is intended as a U.S.-Arab meeting. Citing AP, Ha'aretz reported that President Bush, Tony Blair, Mikhail Gorbachev, and Rupert MURDOCH are among those expected to attend the May conference organized by President Shimon Peres.'

and another-

He claimed that Imedi journalists had been overheard discussing provoking the killing of demonstrators in order to inspire the people to overrun the Parliament building. He also said that Imedi's security director was organizing criminals and distributing weapons. Saakashvili expressed his view that Imedi is under
the control of Badri Patarkatsishvili, and that Patarkatsishvili and even the station's co-owner, Rupert MURDOCH, are cooperating with Vladimir Putin. He based his belief about MURDOCH on a recent telephone discussion with Richard Holbrooke, who, he said, told him that MURDOCH is also beholden to Putin.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Not too much love for Obama who just stopped this thing

He deserves some credit on this one ATS

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
How do you people like to be stolen from .. How about I break into your house and steal your stuff . Or steal your pay check. Copyright also means someones property. I am for free speech and I am for protecting peoples right. downloading movies and mp3 are stealing plain and simple. Or do people feel entitled and these things belong to them .
If a website is using copyright material maybe it should be shut down if there is no consent from the owner of the material . ( or page or thread ) with cut and paste.

These problems still do need to be addressed.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
PIPA is the new SOPA

Don't give up the fight...

Originally posted by freedomSlave
How do you people like to be stolen from .. How about I break into your house and steal your stuff . Or steal your pay check. Copyright also means someones property. I am for free speech and I am for protecting peoples right. downloading movies and mp3 are stealing plain and simple. Or do people feel entitled and these things belong to them .
If a website is using copyright material maybe it should be shut down if there is no consent from the owner of the material . ( or page or thread ) with cut and paste.

These problems still do need to be addressed.

The measures won’t stop copyright infringement. The Internet, and the flow of information, will find a way around any dam the entertainment industry tries to put up. But as ineffective as the measure may be, to continue with the metaphor, the dams themselves will do serious damage to the ecology of the web.

PIPA is the new SOPA

edit on 16-1-2012 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
uhhh if this is true... Obama gained some points with me...

if its a lie... it wouldn't be the first time..

I'll believe it when he comes out and says it on TV (with the teleprompter manuscript for evidence)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
At least you guys go to senate and stuff with SOPA etc. In here my isp, one of the largest if not the largest one in Finland was forced by court to remove all piratebay domains from their dns. So to me that website has vanished. Of course I know how to get around that thought

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

First of all let me say that personally I just cannot see the horror that everyone reacts with when a new thread has been previously posted. I know that there is pride of finding something first and all that, but in cases such as these... And perhaps no one saw the first or second thread. I know I don't get up in the morning and search the search for headline news from two days ago. I go straight to the "New Topics" for the breaking news. Even still, I often notice, but never point out, that RT news, or disinfo.com or India Times had this story days ago - can't really discuss the stories there anyway. I know pride is involved, but I threw pride into a burlap bag along with jealousy and a couple bricks long ago and heaved them off the old bridge in Memphis. I didn't even slow down to make the launch.

Now to this;

The White House's top technology officers sort of agree with Rupert, saying that "online piracy is a real problem that harms the American economy, threatens jobs for significant numbers of middle class workers and hurts some of our nation's most creative and innovative companies and entrepreneurs."

Does anyone else smell stage craft here? Who are these "middle class workers" who are being victimized by this? The middle class operators of the DVD producing companies in Malaysia? Maybe the guy that I met the other day at my store who does logistics work for the film industry? He was complaining that the film industry was putting him out of work through outsourcing his work to cheaper foreign versions of companies like his.

Perhaps they are talking about film editors, and foley artists, and grips and all the rest who work on films during the creation stage. Maybe, but then that would mean that the movie studios were really hurting from this online piracy stuff, enough so that the CEOs of the studios in question were forced to make fewer films and lay sleepless in their beds in Bel Air and Beverly Hills, worried that the few films they did produce would turn a buck so that they could afford to make more.

But wait, I remember something now. it's coming back to me... Oh yeah, all major media (MSM) are owned by six corporations. Hmm! Were Disney and Verizon and Rupert issued EBT (foodstamps) cards without us hearing about it? Things are really bad if those guys are hurting, in fact I fear a tear is forming in my eye right now from the horror of this news. I also find it interesting that Copyright laws were one of Jerry Bremer's key and leading concerns when he became Viceroy of Iraq a few short years ago. Copyright laws in Iraq? Yep, that was one of the neo-cons top items to achieve when they invaded Iraq. (See, Armed Madhouse by Greg Palast) In fact somehow, and I still do not understand how this was done, the law was put in place so that it could never be removed.
No comprende!

Also, if there is indeed so much concern for the poor victimized middle class, where was this concern when Rubin and Summers were left in charge to victimize this same group for the Obama half of the Bush/Obama economic meltdown? I suspect the above quote represents a bone thrown to the broke middle class dog as he sits in his tent or RV trying to remain convinced that the Obama people were not a wasted vote; a little mention of them.

Meanwhile SOPA has shown itself to be a hugely unpopular thing with many of us and even some of the industry who will be adversely financially affected. The President didn't initiate the legislation as far as we know, but he is facing re-election. Everyone is watching the Republican Debates, and one guy is getting attention bucking the system, even though they have done their best to keep a lid on him. The killing of an American citizen didn't sit too well with many, and everybody is broke and pissed off.

The solution? Public opposition to a hugely unpopular piece of legislation. Could it be that the timing of the legislation was not coincidental? Could this legislation in fact be a straw man whose only purpose was to be there for public burning? We've got the federal spammers reciting the "split the vote and give it to Obama" mantra until it seems as familiar as the lullabye your mom used to to sing to you. Perhaps, just perhaps, it was decided to go ahead and let them torrent for a little while longer, at least until the re-election was finished, then they can have their SOPA.

Just a thought.

Edit; See it looks as though it is working already!

uhhh if this is true... Obama gained some points with me...

edit on 16-1-2012 by Ittabena because: new info

edit on 16-1-2012 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
what is really in danger here is their ability to capitalize over citizens, and good riddance too.

when one person copies a DVD or CD, this means every piece of digital information can be immediately cloned into X amount of copies, for practically nothing.

this means the DVD / CD producers have less capital to show for their efforts than if they can sell each copy individually.

i for one, couldn't give less of a fack if these HUGE media corporations (propagandists) get less capital thanks to the computer savvy.

so what options are these media companies left with?
1) keep making media (DVD, CD, movies) and settle for a minimum amount of capital to show for it, or
2) stop making entertainment media all together, bc it's unaffordable/unsustainable

*capitalism is not a system to choose what you are capable of buying and selling....that is what i would call free market system.

*capitalism is the act of using power and resources in order to CAPITALIZE over someone(s) else's power and resources.

right now, they are capitalizing over the average american by forcing people to buy these hard copies of DVDs, but NOW, we have have the POWER and RESOURCES that produce these hard copies for us. we no longer require to give up capital in order to have our entertainment media.

they are realizing that we are capable and resourceful enough (thanks to technologies) that we don't need major media producers AT ALL.

i say feck 'em. as an industry they've made more than enough profit in the past 100 years...most of the profit goes into the pockets of greedy-capitalist-loving-greed-greed-greed-capital collectors, why support their money-making any more?

are we going to suffer because they stop or slow down the production of entertainment media? not at all.

some of the less intellectual and happily-sedated people might not know what to do with themselves, but most people will be much BETTER off without the mass production of propaganda and cultural behavior-control mechanisms in the forms of entertainment media.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

oh this is total stage craft... if it was cut and dry my quote stands..

I'm still not going to vote for him... But if he cuts this off his freedom killing agenda i'd sleep a little better at nights..

I still call BS

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
i still cant manage to get photos uploaded on here,but has any one lse noticed the uncanny resemblance of rupert mudock ant the old scientist of futurama.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by haven123

just me then?
theres my 200th

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join